31/12 Checkers AMBG 67 PMBG 85 ninja OTJ trial

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I ended up feeling ill last night and with checkers in a good place with his PMBG and me not going to be able to watch him properly I took the night off. I assumed I would be starting this morning with a new dose but of course he throws the exact same BG reading at me this morning as he gave me yesterday morning.

I''m not sure if at this point I should just go with an OTJ trial or try to get him on 0.1. So any advice would be appreciated. I'm happy to just OTJ trial until he hits a certain BG point and then put him back on insulin. I'm not expecting to get him totally off right now but shooting with such low numbers seems abit silly and if he wants to try to prove himself then maybe i should let him. I've also noticed more food has been getting eaten recently so i think maybe insulin effects his hunger a bit making him eat less.

Anyway i'll be here for a while, i do need to run out for a few hours at least later though.

yesterday

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Given that you've skipped 3 consecutive shots, it sure looks like you started an OTJ trial by default. At this point, the worst thing that can happen is that Checkers doesn't sustain the trial -- and that's why we call it a trial!!

Here are the instructions:

• Test at your normal AMPS and PMPS times. Feed multiple small meals throughout the day as much as possible (small meals are less likely to overwhelm a newly functioning pancreas).
    • If your cat’s numbers are in the green range at your normal test times, there’s no need to test further until the next "PS" time, just feed small meals and go about your day. If he is blue, feed a small meal and test again after about 3 hours. If his number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then his pancreas is working!
    • Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. It is not unusual for cats to get lots of blue during their trial, especially at first. Don't panic and don't shoot without posting and asking for input.
    • After 2 weeks without an insulin shot, if everything is looking good, we have a party!

Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens, we just give him the support he needs. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that thanto rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Good luck!

3. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

My only concern is making sure he has the best chances overall and the best life possible. So long as doing a trial now will not reduce chances at remission eventually then i'm happy. I don't mind if it fails we will just get back on the horse I just want to make sure there will be no negative long term effects.

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Follow the instructions and see how it goes...it's the only thing you can do. We're all cheering Checkers on!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the trial. I hope Checkers keeps surfing in those pretty greens. Happy New Year's Eve.

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

As Sienne said, you've really already started a trial because of Checkers' beautiful green BGs without insulin! There are no negative effects of doing a trial - as you said, if it fails, you just start up juice again. And, since you're monitoring through the trial, you'll know right away if he needs to be back on insulin.

Good luck - go, Checkers!

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the sneak OTJ trial. I wish you the best of luck with it!

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Good luck with tge trial! :):D image.gif

9. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

I'm with all the others! Go for it. Looks like he's ready to give it a go.

Marilyn and Polly

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo Checkers!!

Hope you have a great lawyer to defend you on your OTJ trial!! ;)

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Way to go Checkers! Best present ever for New Years. :D:D:D Good luck on the trial.

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Ditto what Wendy said! Best ever New Years present......You go Checkers!

13. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck Checkers!

14. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Good job Checkers! Way to start 2016!:D:D:D:D

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

congratulations on having a stealth kitter, lol! Woohoo on the OTJ trial!!! [​IMG]

16. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Cheering on you and Checkers!!

17. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

Just did his his PMBG and its 85. Just for giggles i did a test at +9 and it was 126 and i was alittle worried but hopefully it was just a peak. is this why i'm only supposed to test twice a day so i don't chew my nails off?

I'm alittle worried allowing him to free feed is never going to work. Any opinions on that? Have other people had sucess with it or am i kidding myself trying it. With free feeding its going to be totally random if my 2 tests a day line up with a food spike or not right? I could take the food away for a certain amount of time before testing if that makes more sense. I can't help but think with free feeding then testing would have to be changed to say retest after a high number to detect if its a peak or not.

18. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am curious about the answer as we free feed too--I have one I need to keep wieght on and then there is my sugar boy LOL-
    My feeling is it can work tho---mine are 15&16 years old so to change that would be a real challenge, just dumping the dry has been hard on my little guy--
    I would love to get a 126 after eating!

19. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I'm sure cats the free feed can go into remission i'm just curious if the twice a day testing takes free feeding into account. if the OTJ trial is looking for low numbers every test then obviously free feeding is going to give at best eratic results compared to timed feeding where the cat probably wouldnt have eaten for 4-6 hours before test.

20. Wendy&Neko

You could stick to your normal schedule for the duration of the trial, but experience has shown that the several small meals throughout the cycles helps keeps the numbers down. With cats with a working pancreas, eating will cause the pancreas to kick in and lower the numbers, so a small snack 3-4 hours before you test may in fact help bring the test numbers down.
    That's why the trial instructions say if the test isn't green, to feed and check 3 hours later.

21. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

i missed that derp, i had a feeling i would end up feeling alittle stupid after asking but i checked stickies hoping to find stuff but couldnt find anything. never considered checking my own thread lol. Been along day. Its good to know though, I still may remove food for a few hours before test, it should accomplish about the same thing as if his pancrease is working properly his numbers should be good at that point always.

I think i was having problems wrapping my head around 2 tests a day when i've been trying to test as much as possible, big change for sure.

Thanks for the response.

22. Wendy&Neko

Yes, the trial period is an adjustment phase for the bean as well!

jayla-n-Drevon and Madeline528 like this.
  23. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Happy New Year!!!

Hi, so exciting for Checkers!!!:)

My Layla, is OTJ 12/10/15. When we started the trail, I changed her feeding from 2x a day to 3x. She eats 2 (3oz) ff classic cans a day. I split it am 3/4, 2pm 1/2, pm 3/4. We tested 2x a day & now test once a week. I started adding little boiled chicken to her pm feeding tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.