360 BG due to stress at vet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Dec 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

Hi!

Dusty and I went for a checkup yesterday, and he got very stressed. As in: he was open-mouth breathing by the time we got there (he really hates car rides). They gave him oxygen and said his heart rate was 90 beats per minute. A little later while doing blood work, his BG was 360. As of now, he's not been diagnosed with diabetes, and the vet said she believes it was stress-induced, but she's running a fructosamine just to be on the safe side. I'm very nervous and was just wondering if others have experience with a stress-induced hyperglycemia that was that high?

Thank you!
    Leni & Dusty

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's entirely possible and kudos to your vet for getting a fructosamine level. The blood work will tell you if Dusty has been in high numbers or if this was stress induced hyperglycemia.

If the numbers were high, we're here if you need us.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  3. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I’ve seen cats with BGs as high as 250+ at the vet for check ups. I think it’s great your vet is doing a test to make sure it’s not stress related.

I think it would benefit Dusty if you spoke to your vet about some anti-anxiety medication for travel/going to the vet. Gabapentin is a common medication that you can give either pill form or liquid about an hour or so before travel. Open mouthed breathing means lots of stress for Dusty!

4. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you to you both! I just got the results from the vet. She said everything looks great! Slightly elevated Creatinine, but that's not new, and it's not higher than before, so kidneys look stable. Fructosamine is 251 with the high end of this lab's reference range being 373. She said she's not worried that he's diabetic, but that as long as I know how to do a home BG test, I may as well do a few readings over the next week just to give us an extra level of comfort. So that's what I'll do, and I'll keep her posted.

Thanks again for your support! This forum is always so wonderful.

Happy New Year!
    Leni & Dusty

5. lenistar

lenistar Member

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention - the vet actually did prescribe Gabapentin for Dusty, and I gave it to him before the appt., but it didn't seem to have any effect. The vet is wondering if perhaps a different sedative will be needed next time. Does anyone have experience with any others?

6. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

How long before the appointment did you give the gabapentin and what is the dose? Sometimes it can take a little longer to kick in - the last time I gave it to my cat, it kicked in AFTER we got home from the appointment :rolleyes:

Crista & Ming likes this.
  7. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

A higher dose might also be needed.

I can’t really think of another one that can be used. Usually it’s just gabapentin. Buprenophine but that’s for pain meds but it can act as a sedative.

Yay for home testing! I’m curious what Dusty‘s readings are at home. Please post them when you do them if you can :)

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Other things I've used to combat vet and trip stress is to spray the carrier with Feliway, and give a couple drops of Rescue Remedy for Pets before travel.

I remember one member whose cat went over 400 on a car ride, not on insulin. Took it back down on his own the next day. Then there's my girl who like to dive down in long car rides. :rolleyes:

9. lenistar

lenistar Member

Ugh. I've tried several times to test Dusty's blood sugar at home and have been unsuccessful. He's normally a lap kitty, but when I put him in my lap to test, he seems to know something's up and wants to get down. Do people ever start by just going through the motions without actually pricking the ear, just to get their kitty more comfortable with the routine?

* As noted above, Dusty hasn't been diagnosed with diabetes and so does not get insulin. But due to a high BG reading recently at the vet (see above), his vet ran a fructosamine. It was normal, and she doesn't believe he's diabetic (he was VERY stressed at the vet), but she suggested I try to do a few home tests for some extra reassurance.

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, breaking down the testing into little steps helps alot. Try the testing process multiple times a day, a dozen or more until it becomes routine. Maybe not even doing the poke at first to get him more used to the procedure of having his ears touched, all this strange stuff going on and such.

Do you use treats (I mean food bribes or petting him or brushing him) when you are testing? Any sort of pure meat treat is loved by cats. How about some cooked turkey or chicken, beef or pork. Something without a lot of spices or salt so skip the luncheon meat. Maybe some tuna or other fish? Some cats like a little piece of shredded cheese or some egg white.

Lots of information in this Tips For Testing link here
    . Hopefully some of those ideas will work for you and Dusty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.