366 +9

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Stressedcatmom, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Hi lovely people.

Yoshi gets his shot at 730a and pm. He gets a little groggy and a bit worse on his hind legs when I come home from work between 4-5pm. The vet advised that I check him when I get home to see if his sugars were running low.

I tested him just now after a bit of a fight and two test strips. He was at 366. Do you think it's a bit high because the insulin is wearing off?

He has a vet appt next week to test fructosamine levels. Vet told me not to come in until then 2.5 weeks after diagnosis because she wouldn't get a proper reading until then.

I'm a professor and insanely busy right now, I have yet to set up the spreadsheet but I've been recording the 5 tests I've done over the last two weeks.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The 366 is high and if you're in EST and gave a shot at 7:30 AM, it's his BG at +9. ProZinc is usually good for 12 hours so I wouldn't look at duration as the first choice of cause. It could be that 2 units is too high or too low a dose. You need to get started on a regular testing routine, set up a spreadsheet and log all your data for several days to get an idea of what's going on. The fructosamine test will only give a general idea of average BG in the previous few weeks. It can't distinguish between BGs staying high all the time or BGs swinging from very low to very high.

3. Stressedcatmom

I'm sorry. I'm central time. I'll test again pre shot. I just gave him a little canned food. It's so hard to get him in the mornings

StephG likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Typically we do not give any food 2 hours prior to pre-test because the number will be food influenced. Just for future reference ;).

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think your best bet for now is like Kris said...do some more testing. I know it can be hard...trust me! When you work full time, it makes it tough. Just get some extra tests in when you can...preshots of course, and then a before bed test if you can, or a test before you walk out the door in the morning. Anything you can get that's extra will help to fill in the picture to see why he might be feeling lousy in the afternoons.

6. Stressedcatmom

I've been practicing this. He's just starved when I get home so I give him a tablespoon or so. I pick up all food by 5pm and I test between 7-730.

I'm going to test more often. I just wish there were an easier way. He's not a fan.

7. Stressedcatmom

Thanks for your support. I'll get more in. Preshots at least. Then I'll work my way up when work slows down. It's hard being a single catmom

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  8. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

They get used to it. Frank comes running now when I unzip the bag because he knows he gets treats. You shouldn't have to hold him down. Prick...let him eat some...put the strip in, and test. If he rus away maybe you could do it in the bathroom with the door closed. Good luck!

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It is super hard being a single catmom to a diabetic cat. You do what you can...

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  10. Stressedcatmom

I just tested him pre shot after I came back from the grocery store. He was 458. I debated if the insulin was working and what could possibly be happening. Then I see he jumped on the counter to rip through his expensive diabetic cat treats like a maniac. I am so mad at him. I'm telling you guys he's not easy. Cat treats are now in Tupperware

Attached Files:

11. Stressedcatmom

I hope someone can find some humor in this. If you don't laugh you cry.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  12. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Night #1 Frank ate a hole through the bag of super expensive diabetic cat food. The humor is there somewhere. At the time I didn't see it either.

13. Stressedcatmom

Thank you for helping me not feel like I was the only one. Is there anything we do for when their sugar is too high? Or do you just let it level out?

Did I mention that I'm so mad at him? He's playing with his brother for the first time in a while. Probably on a sugar high

14. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I have a petsafe automatic feeder for Smoky for when I am at work. It has five compartments and I can set it for four different times. I just freeze a can of food and let it thaw out in the feeder during the day. It's ready to eat by his lunchtime. He eats every 4 to 5 hours.
    I set the timer to close the compartment two hours before his test time. I don't know if this helps you out, this feeder has been a lifesaver for me. It can be used for wet or dry food.
    https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-5-Meal-Automatic-Pet-Feeder/dp/B000GEWHNS

15. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Sneaky kitties. You are not the only one that has to hide them in Tupperware. Typically, there is someone else that has had the same thing happen, no matter how odd ;). You are not alone in many ways here!

Nothing to do except stay on schedule with his shots. It will level out :)

16. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

You had a dka episode, right? It's hard to be calm after that. Esp going so long between vet visits. Sounds like we're in the same rocky, uncertain boat. Not fun at all. But it's getting better, right?

17. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

458 is high, but that's almost my norm most of the time...just learning to not freak out and knowing so many people are having the same issues helps!

18. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Great job getting another test! Now if only we could see it in a spreadsheet (wink wink)...

And Yoshi really did go to town on those treats! I'm impressed!

(click here for spreadsheet directions)

19. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The microwave oven or the fridge is a good place to keep the treats. :)

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

hahahaha! I left cat treats on the table once and when I came home I found the bag ripped open and empty!

21. Stressedcatmom

I just bought one that has two compartments. I think that's all he'll need. The problem is just feeding him in the afternoon. I for sure think it will be easier

22. Stressedcatmom

No we haven't had one of those. Hopefully will get better. I just got him some supplements for his neuropathy. Someone suggested them here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.