4/02/13 Rags, Moms turn

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by yo hon, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yo hon

yo hon Member

Goodmorning,

7:00 a.m. AMBS 164 anf feeding 1 1/2 cans od ff with water

no inj. this a.m.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Good decision.

First time in how many days without a number over 500 in the am?

And once you are part of "our" family, we are not letting you go! {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

3. TMR

TMR Member

I don't know what is going on, but whatever you are going through, I hope it will get better. This is a very hard issue to deal with and the people on this board are very knowledgeable and supportive. Don't give up! Hang in there!

4. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Hi Becki :coffee: Good Morning dear! I've been keeping an eye on your posts (I am not online too often) and see that you are doing just a fantastic job caring for Rags!!! My goodness, you are getting the hang of it :D I'm so glad you found this board and have the help you are needing. Just hang in there and be patient~it does get easier, really. Keep up the good work :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

5. Soldiers Mom

Soldiers Mom Member

I can really relate to those words, especially being fairly new to the board. You have to stop and take care of yourself too. Sleep, eat and laugh so you can spread that positive healing energy. It's a new day full of possibilities and support. We are here for you and you are doing great.

6. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Good Morning!!! ((((HUGS))))) you are doing great & all us members are here either to give advice or just sympathetic ears :smile: Our experienced members will guide you......kitty hugs also!!!!! Cindy & Sabrina cat_pet_icon

7. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Wow Becki, that's an AMPS to be proud of!

You are doing a great job for Rags, please know that. Many would not go thru all this for their kitties so indeed you are an angel!

I know it sounds silly now, but yes, this all WILL get easier over time. The kind folks here at FDMB are a great resource and will guide you along. It's a lot to handle at first but it will all make sense and be second nature to you sooner than you think.

Keep on keepin' on momma. You are doing great.

:YMHUG:

8. yo hon

yo hon Member

I am so schocked at all these replies. Very grateful, VERY, ! especially after I was told yesterday that evryone but one person gave up on me and I should re-home my boy !

Felt very alone and let down last night. ONE day I'm told I have five people on my team, then I'm told everyone is fed up with me because I ask specific questions and I'm needy. I should be doing this by myself by now.

I DON't want to hurt my boy !!!! I am just trying to make sure that what I'm doing is right !! Also, I DO, do everything you all tell me, sometimes our posts cross and I don't get them. AND I always post everything back to you, everything !! I'm just not fast enough for some people. I'm not a speed typer and this comp. gives me a hard time sometimes. It deletes and I have to start all over.

You all MADE my Day, and this is ther BEST day I have had in a long time !!! Thank you so VERY much !!!!

I am going to re-test my boy before I leave for the Doc's to see how fast his sugar will go up.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Becki

I was away most of the weekend and drove a long rescue transport yesterday, so wasn't on much. I didn't give up. I'll be around off n on through the day.

Also, if there are too many folks giving you suggestions at the same time, that could be more confusing and we don't want to do that to you.

10. Deb & Wink

Oh Becki :sad: I knew I wasn't saying things right last night. ohmygod_smile There are people here to help you which is why I "rallied the troops" this morning.

When we are running those cycles with you THREE , yes THREE times a day, we try not to get too many people posting to you at the same time because I know it gets confusing. Too many people posting and our advice gets buried farthur up in the post where you might miss it.

That is why you have not seen a lot of these folks before on your condo. They may not be commenting, but they are reading it.

If I knew how to send a PM to everyone on this board to give you some {{{{hugs}}}}, I'd do it in a minute! :lol: :lol:

Then it would take you a couple of DAYS to read all the love and best wishes being sent your way. :D :D :D

Go back up in the post today and reread all those encouraging words again, and again and again and again.............

ETA: So far, it's been a 4 tissue morning reading here.

11. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Becki,

Every single one of us were right where scared, nervous and worried newbies when we got here, and it was those that came before us that held our hands (and paws) through it all, now that we have learned we are returning the favor by guiding the next batch of newbies like yourself, and in time you will be right there with us, taking the hands of the next batch of newbies. Because that is what families do, each generation looks after the generation that follows.

From the very first post that anyone makes on this board they become family. We walk the floor with worry when someone is ill, we cry buckets of tears for cats we have never petted when one is lost, and we all celebrate when one goes OTJ. But we also all pull together when someone here needs financial or emotional health. We find ways to cat kitties to new homes, we take up collections to help pay other's vet bill's, or as in recent months to help those on this board that lost everything in a hurricane. No one is ever a pain in the a$$, and the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Others have said it but I'm going to say it again IT DOES GET EASIER!!!! Right now you are just in a rough spot because you are being forced to use a harsh short duration insulin, which is in no way your fault, it is what you have to work with, and you have a dynamite team helping you figure out how to make it work for you and Rags, until we can figure out how to get Rags a better insulin. You want to know how I know it gets easier? Because I have 12 very healthy and happy kitties and yet after my first sugarcat passed away from cancer, because of the love and support I adopted not 1, not 2, but 3 additional sugarcats after they were already diabetic. Sadly I lost number 2 when an ER vet misdiagnoised her, but that didn't stop me from taking in my beautiful Autumn. If this never got any easier with my furry little horde I certainly wouldn't have taken on more diabetic kitties.

And because of those that I have adopted after they became diabetic I know you have more love, caring and strenght than a lot of people would have for their furry babies. The first I adopted was Maxwell...Maxwell survived hurricane Katrina, got bounced around from shelter to shelter and then after finally being adopted his mom gets sick herself and he was dxed as diabetic...her family dumped him at a vet clinic to be killed rather than even try to treat him...he was 24 hours from death when I took him, a month later he was off insulin and has been now for 2+years, the second was Musette, after being someone's pet for 11 years and seeing her through DKA twice her family also dumped her at a vet she had never seen before to be killed, I adopted her and almost had her OTJ but she became anemic and passed away, but when I got her she didn't even know what it was like to play, or be held and cuddled...Now I have Autumn who her last owner won't even try to treat her diabetes, they let her go 10+ months with nothing, no change in diet, no insulin, and literally starving to death with full bowls of food. So yes you are doing a fantastic job in caring for your boy!!!! You did the leg work to find us, you are asking questions and there is a lot to learn so if you need to ask us over and over again the same thing before it sinks in that is fine. Trust me I've been here nearly 3 years and I still have to ask questions about things I know I should know but have forgotten.

Not sure who told you that you were too needy and that we were sick of helping, we don't give up on anyone...EVER!!! We may tag team you so that we can all meet our own schedules and care for our own families furry or not. But we don't give up on anyone.

Sorry this is so long...really tired this morning as I was up most of the night with my own girl as she took a nosedive, but when I heard you were having a hard day and needed a little extra support I couldn't go back to bed until I came over and gave you a pep talk and a big :YMHUG: as well as :thumbup

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

12. yo hon

yo hon Member

Mamma Of Muse, THANK YOU so VERY MUCH for your post. It means alot to me and helps keep me going. I didn't get sleep last night either wondering what I was going to do about my boy Rags. Thought I was just gonna have to find a new Vet somehow and just deal with her, didn't want to re-home my boy cause I love him so much and he has been through sooo much ! I've just been crying all night and morning. Right now I have to go to the Doctor's, don't know what he will say when he see's me, I am a mess !!!! If I tell him, I'll be even worse !!

I want ti get a test on my boy before I go, so thank you so much again and for sticking by me.

13. yo hon

yo hon Member

Deb, when I get home I'll post you, just don't have time now.
    Thank You !

14. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

Becki...

Hang in there. When my Rumpelteazer was diagnosed the end of February, I was on this board constantly. Since my vet just said "give this amount at this time and only test at AMPS & PMPS", I really wanted more information and help. When I found FDMB I was sooooo happy. Everyone jumped right in to answer all of the questions I had.....and....did I ever have a lot of questions. :smile: Everyone here has been more help to me than my vet...so...keep us updated every day. Since I am new to the 'sugarcat' thing, I may not be able to provide you with dosing/feeding/testing specifics (yet) but I can offer moral support. :smile:

I have a very strange work schedule + 6 other kittehs. During the first few weeks, I thought I was going to go crazy. Everyone here helped me keep my sanity and were all very patient with me. You can check out my topics/posts on the PZI board if you get a chance....notice how the posts became less and less as time went on.....that is because of all the help everyone gave me. I feel very confident and things make more sense. The ProZinc board here was a godsend for me....and...Rumpelteazer. :D

I don't know very much about the insulin you are using, but if your vet will give you ProZinc (this is made especially for cats) I think you will have a much easier time getting Rags' numbers under control. With ProZinc, you only need to shoot twice-a-day....that's a little stress-relief right there. :smile:

Let us know how everything goes with your vet appointment. We are all here for you and Rags.

You are doing a super job! BIG :YMHUG: from me & Rumpelteazer!

15. yo hon

yo hon Member

9:26 a.m. eastern BG 509

I have to go to the Doc's don't know how long I'll be, Don't know what to do, sorry ! No shot this a.m. AMPS 164 ate 1 1/2 cans ff with water

16. yo hon

yo hon Member

do I give him .05

17. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Becki, give him 2 units.

18. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Becki, You are doing a great job taking care of Rags. I am still a newbie at this so I cant give you great advice yet, as I am still learning too. But you have my number and you know you can call anytime if you need something, or even someone to talk to! Always remember that there are so many people watching out for you - even if they dont comment - they are still watching out for you. Since I cant give advice I dont comment but I do stop by and read your posts to see how Rags is doing. Please message me or call me anytime you need! =]

Jamie

19. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Becki, you are being watched. Deb, Carl, BJM and myself all PM each other to make sure one of us is with you and to watch the board. I didn't post last night because we feel even two of us doing posts may confuse you .......so I would PM Deb while she posted to you. Then I knew Carl was going to be able to stay up and watch for a late night test. Deb and I are in constant contact and Carl and BJM let us know when they are available.

As for rehoming Rags......forget it. We just need a better insulin than N. All past N users from years past basically have left FDMB and no longer post. Even L and U users are gone. Prozinc, Lantus and Levemir are the insulins prescribed now and have been for several years.

People who have never used N, L or U (both L and U discontinued) have no experience on those insulins so cannot help much. Prozinc is the closet to Humulin U as far as working, curving, and giving much longer duration. Learning from using N will be a big help to you when going to Prozinc.

You have read posts by so many today that are reading but basically staying off from giving advice because they don't know the insulin. There are 4 of us still with you and you are covered for the three tests, feeding and shot times.

20. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

One of the most important things told to me when I first came here was "Dont forget to BREATHE"

Many do not post...You dont need all of us talking over each other. You have a good SOLID team helping you. Rags is a VERY lucky kitty ideed.

One thing to remember...?
    You and Rags are in our prayers.

Keep up the good work,
    jeanne

21. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Becki,

I stepped out of posting, because I did not want to add to the amount of posts and further confuse you. Nor did I want to contradict what Deb, Hope, BJM and Carl have been doing. I don't understand the insulin you are using and when I would think yes, feed the cat, they say no don't feed the cat.

I am reading and learning along with you and I understand how confusing this all is. Combine that with your own medical issues and it is a lot to comprehend.

Please don't think that you are alone or abandoned. Deb, Hope, Carl and BJM have spent countless hours behind the scenes trying to help you, coming up with a schedule, trying to help you get a new vet, new insulin and lots, lots more.

Once you are able to get on a better insulin, hopefully the process will become easier and the concept of what you are doing and why will start to make sense.

22. yo hon

yo hon Member

Hope, I just got back from the Doctor's and saw your post about giving Rags 2 units. I haven't given him any this a.m. Do you want me to give it now?

23. Deb & Wink

Test him, I'd still expect a HI

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Might be good to test first, although I suspect she will test high enough to shoot.

25. yo hon

yo hon Member

11:46 a.m. BG 549

26. Deb & Wink

Yes, go ahead and shoot the 2U Hope suggested earlier and then come back to talk.

27. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yup, high enough to shoot.

28. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Ditto.....shoot 2 units and then let him eat some food. Do a spot check in 2 hrs. and we'll try and get back on regular schedule depending on his numbers,

29. yo hon

yo hon Member

I think I should shhot 2 units and I did at 12:00 noon

30. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

That's fine Becki but give him some food now. He is up there because of no shot earlier but he will still need some food now.

31. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Good job.

It may take a bit of finagling to get back on schedule, so be prepared if the dose or times need to change a little today to do that.

This happened to me a lot with Spitzer - he'd be low, I'd have to wait, and then shoot when he was safe to shoot, and then get back on schedule. Its one of the normal variations in managing a diabetic cat.

32. Deb & Wink

This is your morning cycle, only delayed a few hours because you had to go out.

So same steps as your morning cycle.

I think he did this on purpose! He wanted some extra food today. :mrgreen:

33. yo hon

yo hon Member

Hope, thank you. was already feeding him. I'm REALLY (not shouting,stressing) trying to get the hang of all this.

34. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Becki, using all caps when doing a whole sentence and the words are not too nice does mean screaming, unless it is a brand new person who doesn't know.

Sometimes we do use caps on a word or two to make them stand out and make them noticeable.

As for patience, if you asked my family or friends or anyone that truly knows me, first thing they would say is that I have more patience than most people.

Glad he is eating now too :razz:

35. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Options to emphasize text:

Just above the open area where you type your post are some buttons that may be clicked. Some of these emphasize text.

It is possible to select a word or phrase with your mouse, then click on B, i or u to bold, italicize, or underline for emphasis. You can even reselect the word and add another code to get bold italic, or bold underline, underline italic.

And if you click on Font Color, it lets you select a different color.

The word Normal with a small down pointing arrow next to it, lets you select different size, if you wish.
    Tiny
    Small
    Normal <- the default
    Large

And if you goofed on something, you can select the text and click on the s to strikeout which leaves the original text with dashes across it. Then you may follow with your correction or edit. It'll look like this.

36. yo hon

yo hon Member

2:00 p.m. BG 297

37. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Becki, that is fine.....he has dropped 252 points in 2 hrs. You can feed him a little now if he wants it, insulin is still working. Can you do a test at +3 to see what he gives us (that's a test at 3:00 today)

38. yo hon

yo hon Member

yes, he is eating 1/4 now. He is always hungry. I feel so bad for him, because he doesn't know what is going on. It must be so hard for him or ay kitty.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I will get a BG at 3:00 and let you know.

39. yo hon

yo hon Member

BJM, thank you for the info. I guess you know by now I'm not computer literate (sp) ??? I am trying !!

Thanks Again !!!

40. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Becki, don't feel bad......none of usknew computers when we started and as for FDMB, the layout and board has grown so much and been changed several times over the years, I'm still finding out new little things on it.

41. yo hon

yo hon Member

with all the new technology, we will always be learning, right ??

I'd like to wait until 3:15 to do his BG, he was slow eating, is that OK ? Heate 1/2 can ff with water.

42. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Okay, 3:15 it is.

43. yo hon

yo hon Member

Thank You !

3:15 p.m. +3 BG- 247

44. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Okay, his drop is slowing.....only 50 points more down...and if he ate some food it slowed it down and he may hang for a little while longer, he may even go down a little more, he may start going back up. Can you go and test at like 4:30? All this helps us .......almost like doing a curve.

45. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Well, if no one tells you, you can hardly divine it from the ether! Sometimes, it just takes experimenting with the features of a web site to figure out what they do. The little s is not intuitive - I discovered what it was just holding the mouse pointer over it, rather than clicking on it.

46. yo hon

yo hon Member

Yes I can test him at 4:30, but I don't want to. I know we need to do it and it is important. His ears are just getting so tender. I put neosporin oint. with pain relief on and I put pressure on his ear after testing. I rub them to get his test, it's just that he is really hurting and I hurt for him. BUT, I really really want to get him regulated as much as we can.

The thing that really bothers me is when we do get to change his insulin, he'll have to go through all this all over again. My Poor Boy !!!!

Of course I will do whatever it takes to help him, Hope. See you or will post to you at 4:30 p.m.

47. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What size (gauge) are the lancets you are using for the pokes?

48. yo hon

yo hon Member

4:30 p.m. + 4 BG 214

I use 30 lancets ultra thin

49. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Hope asked me to cover while she stepped out.

He went down further, so I would not give any insulin at this time (the numbers are falling).

At +4, he should start going up now even without food and we don't want to make it skyrocket, so if you want to give him some, limit to 1/2 tablespoon.

You're using pretty thin lancets, so I wouldn't go any thinner or you may not get enough blood to test.

Do you put the ointment on before the test, wipe off, then test? Or just put it on after testing? The former is OK and numbs it a little for the test, plus helps the blood bead up.

50. yo hon

yo hon Member

He can have 1/2 tablespoon, When will he be able to eat again ? I'm not going to feed him if that is ok.

I put the oint. on after I test. I warm up his ear before I test with my fingers. Get good blood, i just don't knpw how bad he is hurting. I'm running out of ear.

51. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

About the next shot time.

Spreading out some of the feeding as mini-meals in the first half of the cycle may help keep him from feeling too hungry.
    Feeding in the second half, after the nadir, from about +4 to the next preshot may take him really, really high.

So with a regular shot cycle, you have about 3 1/2 to 4 hours where he can have small amounts of food, then you want to wait until the next cycle where you get a preshot, feed, and shoot.

How much would you say he eats/ needs to eat in a day?

You want to spread it out for the 3 shot cycles something like this, which would be 4 1/2 FF cans total:
    7:00 am - 7:30 am pre-shot meal, maybe one 3 oz can
    7:30 am insulin
    7:30 am - 11:00 am food as needed; maybe one half 3 oz can total
    11:00 am - 2:00 pm no food

2:00 pm - 2:30 pm pre-shot meal, maybe one 3 oz can
    2:30 pm insulin pm
    2:30 pm - 6:00 food as needed; maybe one half 3 oz can total
    6:00 pm - 9:00 pm no food

9:00 pm - 9:30 pm pre-shot meal, maybe one 3 oz can
    9:30 pm insulin
    9:30 pm - 4:00 am food as needed; maybe one half 3 oz can total

52. yo hon

yo hon Member

I've been feeding him 3 1/2 cans a day.

53. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

So using the times in my previous post, how much would you want to feed him at each meal and after each meal?

I used 1 can for pre-shot and 1/2 can for post-shot nibbling; you could do 1/3 can for any post-shot nibbling if you prefer. That would total 4 cans a day.

54. yo hon

yo hon Member

you know what, He only eats at test time, that's it. I do not feed him after that. He always ate alot at breakfast, but at night, usually only one bowl, 1/4 to 1/2 can. Never wanted anymore.

When he eats now he is uaually full, because he will stop eating. he seems to get hungry when he can't have food.

Is his next sot going to be at 7:00 p.m ?

55. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What we could do, to help you get back on schedule, is go for a slightly earlier 6:00 pre-test and 6:30 shot.

56. yo hon

yo hon Member

do you mean tonite at 6:00 p.m. ? when do i take his blood again ?

57. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

a slightly earlier 6:00 pre-test
    and
    6:30 shot

Per Hope's next post, never mind getting back on schedule today. Tomorrow will have to do.

58. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Back on for a short time........how about if you just wait till 7 tonight and do a test and post that number? If we shoot him too early, we know where he'll be by morning....HI. Heck, he'll probably be HI no matter what we do but he is still going down, at least from his last test.

59. yo hon

yo hon Member

That sounds good to me. 7:00 p.m test, feed 1 can and shoot 2 units ? (a half hour after he is done eating)

Will he need another pre-test, food and shot tonite since he has only had one shot so far ? Like at 2:00 a.m. ?

He has had three cans of food so far and I try to only feed him 3.5 cans a day.

60. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Tomorrow maybe you might follow this schedule
    Spread out for the 3 shot cycles something like this, which would be 3 FF cans total:
    7:00 am - 7:30 am pre-shot meal, maybe one 3 oz can
    7:30 am insulin
    7:30 am - 11:00 am food if needed
    11:00 am - 2:00 pm no food

2:00 pm - 2:30 pm pre-shot meal, maybe one 3 oz can
    2:30 pm insulin pm
    2:30 pm - 6:00 food if needed
    6:00 pm - 9:00 pm no food

9:00 pm - 9:30 pm pre-shot meal, maybe one 3 oz can
    9:30 pm insulin
    9:30 pm - 4:00 am food if needed

If you feed a little less at earlier meals, he may eat better in the evening.

When I say if needed, that would be if he tested below 50, ie, was having a hypo.

61. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I think we're going to go with just 2 shots today. Yes, that means he will be high. Being high is better than being too low - you don't want to be up o all hours checking him for a hypo!

I have rehearsal shortly and will be out 'till later this evening; Hope will back around 7.

62. yo hon

yo hon Member

I cannot do feeding schedule like that I have to work tomorrow, and thurs. and Frid. to make up for days I lost last week.

Also, he would be starving ! He was used to eating 4 1/2 cans when this started.

63. That's okay, Becki. What hours will you be working? We'll figure out something based on that.

64. yo hon

yo hon Member

Hey Carl & Bob welcombe back !! I work 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. I must leave the house at 8:15 a.m. and I get home at approx, 1:45 p.m, sometimes 1:30 p.m. if I'm lucky !

I am getting teady to test and feed Rags his 7:00 p.m. I have not quite a full can of ff for him with water.

7:00 p.m. BG - 494

65. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Ok, Becki.......we know he goes up and where he is at right now.....you can feed him and then shoot him at 7:30 and give him 2 units.

Tomorrow morning....he will probably be HI and if he is,,,,,,feed him, wait and then shoot 2 units.

When you come home test him and post the time and number. We'll then go from there. Okay?

66. yo hon

yo hon Member

Carl & Bob, is he gonna be all right going twelve hours with nothing. I really worry about keytones hurting him. I can't give him a third shot ?

Is 3/4 gonna be enough for him now ? I know he would like more ???

Thanks !

67. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Becki, ketones have nothing to do with cat eating too much food.

After he has eaten, give him the 2 units. After he has gotten his 2 units, you can then give him some more food anywhere up to 3 hrs. later after his shot.

If you shoot him at 7:30, he can then be given more food ...best at maybe 8:30 and another little snack at 9:30.

Carl is now taking over :razz:

68. Becki,
    I think he's going to be fine until the AM test and shot.

Has Rags ever had ketones?

I agree with Hope. He can "snack" the rest of that can in the next hour or two.

What time are you planning on going to bed tonight? Is there any way you can get a test just before bedtime? It would be interesting to see what sort of number you see. Not critical information, but "good to know".

69. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Becki, if he wants to eat more than the 1 can, then let him.

70. yo hon

yo hon Member

7:30 p.m. 2 units given. will feed more at 8:30 p.m.

Not that I'm aware of he hasn't had ketones.

What time would you like me to get a test ? Doesn't matter when I go to bed, I'll stay up as late as I have to, Just give me a time, I'll be there !

71. OK. well ketones are usually due to three things happening at once.

1 - lack of appetite that causes "not enough food". Usually they have something going on that makes them just not want to eat.
    2 - lack of insulin.
    3 - some type of infection.

A lot of times, they'll have some kind of infection (which will raise the BG), and they feel crappy and don't want to eat.
    Sometimes the insulin just doesn't do enough to lower the BGs, or a dose will have been drastically reduced to too low a level.

When Bob had ketones, they got really bad, and he went through "DKA" (diabetic keto-acidosis). That was right after he got diagnosed, but before he'd been started on insulin. He wasn't eating either. It was life-threatening and he almost died. But after 3 days in emergency care, the ketones were gone, he started on insulin, and the positive changes overall were like day and night.

Right now, it looks like Rags is getting enough insulin. You can see it makes his numbers drop. It's just not a good insulin for cats, as you already know, so it doesn't keep his numbers down for long.

And he's eating enough.

And as far as we know, he's not suffering from any infection or anything else except for "just diabetes".

So we aren't really worried about ketones popping up quickly. He'll be going a couple hours longer tonight between shots, but it's not that big of a deal. Remember, he was going 12 hours between shots just a couple weeks ago, right?

72. 10:00 o'clock? I'm sure others will be online later than that, but that's my bedtime this week as I've got my alarm set for 4:30am for the next 5 days. :smile:

73. yo hon

yo hon Member

i also get up everyday at 4:30 a.m. Carl, that's why i'm always hanging. i try to go to bed at 10:00, but my girl, Freeway who just turned 17 years old on Monday wants something to eat. i finally get to bed at 11:30 a.m. then she cries all night and bangs my kitchen cabinets. Sometimes she sounds like someone is killing her and it scares me. Also she cannot hear too good . i think her cognitive functions are acting up. the vet said she does NOT look 17, that made me feel great ! She is a very smart tuxedo cat. And VERY spoiled !!! She was the only cat i had when i moved here 13 years ago. I got her when my mom and dad passed and love her VERY much !!! SO, no sleep in my house !!!

74. Ha, it sounds like you have you hands full with her!

Happy belated birthday, Freeway :D

75. yo hon

yo hon Member

thank you Carl, and YES I DO !!!!

76. yo hon

yo hon Member

Carl are you still here ? If so, when I feed my boy more food til 9:39 tonight will that make his sugar go higher ? I'm still a little confused about that. I don't want him to be HI in the a.m . I know the insulin doesn't last long, but is that when he sugar will go up ? His number was good this a.m

77. Here's how I understand this, Becki.
    When cats digest food, they convert part of it to glucose to supply the "energy" to make evrything function.
    So, in general, food makes the BG go up.
    Insulin, whether it's produced by their pancreas or it's from a shot, will allow their cells to absorb that glucose, which makes the BG go down, because it's no longer just sitting there in the bloodstream.

Insulin that you are giving him will only last a certain amount of time and only lower the BG for so long. With N, that appears to be about 4-5 hours.

That is why people have said to only let Rags eat in the first 3-4 hours after the shot. That's when the N is most effective. If he eats after that, while the insulin is wearing off, then his BG will climb and the insulin won't be fighting to lower it.

So, he can eat during the night, but the later he eats, the more likely his number would go higher.

Does that help make sense of things?

78. yo hon

yo hon Member

Thank you, very much. then he is not eating anymore tonight.

Also, I'd lik to put his picture on my post, do yoy know how i do that ? if you have the time, if not, another time ok ?

79. If nobody beats me to it, I can try to help you with the picture tomorrow afternoon. There's several steps in the process. Do you have a picture already that you want to use? First it will need to be "shrunk" and I can do that if you don't have a program on your computer that will resize it. Then I can show you how to get it on your posts.

80. yo hon

yo hon Member

okie dokie,m it's a date. ha after 3:00 ok with you ? Thank you !!!

Sweet Dreams ! Guess I go back on regular schedule tomorrow with Rags.

81. yo hon

yo hon Member

10:00p.m. BG 294 Goodnight !

82. Yes, tomorrow should be the normal routine, except for the fact you'll be working. :smile:

Good number, and good night!

83. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Becki

Usually, you're doing 3 sets of test, feed, shoot, whatever the times are.

What I am trying to tell you is divide all his food into 3 parts, 1 part for each shot cycle.

That means if you want to feed 4.5 cans per day, you would divide that by 3 and give 1.5 cans per feeding.

If you wanted to feed 3 cans per day, you would give 1 can per feeding.

84. Deb & Wink

Good this is what we want to see, Rags getting hungry. He should be hungry when you go to feed him. That way, you know he will eat before the shot which we really need to happen with this Novolin N insulin.

I bet his BG is low in the morning because he didn't eat late last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.