4/1 Molly curve day

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele&Molly, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Happy curve day Molly -

except there are only 5 test strips left until W comes home at 6.

Here's my plan i think:

amps 183 W fed and shot 2.25
    +3 247 (amazed how she consistently goes up after the 12th hour)
    test at +5 (in 20 minutes) ~4 strips left
    test at +7 ~3 strips left
    test at +9 ~2 strips left
    test at +11 ~1 strip left
    W will be home at +12.

Will keep you all updated on the curve (yeah, i know you're hanging on to the edge of your seat!)

2. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

amps 183 fed and shot 2.25
    +3 247
    +5 234
    +7 149

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Whoa, that's cutting it close on the strips - and reminds me that I have to order more.

Hmmm.... wondering if you should save that last strip..... in case Will forgets to buy some?

4. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

My Will forget something??? Of wait nailbite_smile

I actually called him at lunch to remind him and he was already at Walmart picking them up (1 point for Will!).

+3 247
    +5 234
    +7 149
    +9 168

5. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

+3 247
    +5 234
    +7 149
    +9 168
    +11 148

6. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

+3 247
    +5 234
    +7 149
    +9 168
    +11 148
    pmps 197

And that, my friends, concludes Molly's curve day :smile:

7. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

That is almost a picture perfect "typical" Lev curve! A rise after preshot, nadir at +7, rise at +9, another nadir at +11 and PMPS about the same point as AMPS.

Now for what you're not going to like - she needs an increase. But just slightly. Nadir is a bit high, should be lower than 148. Everything you're doing now with feeding has produced these good numbers and it's entirely up to you if you want her to stay here or would like her to go lower.

You could try Sheila's drop technique so that you don't upset the apple cart if you decide to increase. It's like dialing in a radio station, the closer you get to the best dose, the better the signal or curve numbers.

8. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Wait, wait, what is Sheila's drop technique? Did i miss something?

And hey Vicky, thanks so much for assuring me that the curve is normal. I have been questioning why the numbers rise after pre-shot and why she seems to nadir at +7 and +9.

Thanks again for sharing all your lev knowledge - i'm sure so many, like me, benefit from it.

9. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Sheila's drop technique is how she gets those miniscule doses, although I'm not sure it would work for you, because you have to draw up more insulin than needed then squeeze off one drop at a time to get down to the dose you want - works well with teeny doses, not sure about larger ones. Would depend on your current technique I guess.

And yes, some cats have shown a double nadir like Molly did today, nothing to worry about. You're welcome, but it's information gathered over time, not anything special. Once you've had Molly on Lev for 2 1/2 years you'll have the knowledge too!

10. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I actually think those 3 close numbers are not an indication of a double nadir - more like coasting and meter variance.

The drop technique is, um, a pain in the a$$, but you gotta do what you gotta do. However, I would suggest drawing to 2.5 and squeezing off one drop so you are shooting about 2.4u - or just bring the top of the stop JUST above the 2.5u line instead of even with it. It has to be more than the 2.25 you are shooting now.

You want to practice with a used syringe and expired insulin (what, you don't keep that around just because?) or water. Draw to 1u and then screw the stopper so a bead form on the needle tip (which is facing up), flick it off, and repeat until you can get 10 drops from 1u and eyeball what .1u looks like. It's about the size of the head of a flat pin (not a quilting pin).

11. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

and we were worried about what i was going to do with my Friday night!!

Yes, i will play syringe games as you descirbed. Can you all picture just how thrilled W is going to be when i tell him 1. that's what i'm doing and 2. that he has to do the same? I can already hear the cursing :smile:

Thanks you guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.