4/11 Ozzy AMPS 336 ANTS!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Need to update the ss sorry typing from my phone.

I have a dilemma that I knew was coming but just have no idea how to deal with. The weather is starting to warm up and we have ants coming in the house again. I fought and won a LONG hard battle with these pests last year which took a lot of hard work, patience, vinegar, bleach, disassembling my entire pantry and cleaning every single crumb off every can, season, spice jar, etc and placing all items in zip locks, not to mention powdering the cracks and crevices of every window on the perimeter of my house and around the toliets. We still have no idea how the get inside sometimes because their is a trail to nowhere.

Last night, some found their way in and they got into the the auto feeder where my precious kitties' very expensive food is! I had to toss it out which made me a very angry bean. I am at a loss of how to deal with the ants now. Before the solution was meticulously cleaning and not leaving a single crumb anywhere along with sprays to kill their scents .....but now we are leaving out food around the clock for our diabetic kitty Ozzy and his brother Figgie.

Any thoughts? Anyone else ever have this issue? How did you resolve it with the auto feeder. I am at my wits end here! :mad::confused:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

You can try the "moat" approach-- putting the food dishes in larger dishes of liquid-- but I don't know how that would work with the autofeeder and its movement!

Is there something like a sticky tape you can use around the borders of the compartments? I'm not even sure I know of such a product in general, but it's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might work.

My deepest sympathies-- I've had my own ant battles, once they get going in a house/apartment they can get out of hand! It really does feel like you are at war when you are dealing with it!

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with Adams Flea and Tick dip?

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-flea-t...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01IO8PSCY

I mix one tablespoon in a gallon of water in a pump sprayer.

I figured since you use the product to actually dip cats/dogs with it - it should be safe (it is the ONLY think I use inside the house). Once it dries it is residual so it will continue to work until it is "wiped-off" - I reapply once I start seeing bugs again (3-6 months). Spray base-boards, around doors - anywhere there is an entry way.

I started using this after I accidentally poisoned my sweet Missy cat. We had sprayed some Raid and she got into it and got it on her and then ingested it by licking it off herself (she was 4 years old). I almost lost her - she spent over a week in hospital but recovered with kidney and liver damage. She went on to live to 18!

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I can sympathize, I get the ants from hell every spring. I don't know exactly where they come from but they march across my driveway, infest my car(!), and continue on to my bedroom(!), where splinter groups break off and invade the rest of my house. I have no food in my car or my bedroom! Why are they there?!?

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I've had to deal with ants too. They are very hard to get rid of. I was also going to suggest the "moat" idea too. Maybe you could put the autofeeder in a pan so it won't get wet and put that in a bigger pan and add water. Good luck.

6. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks for the tips! So sorry to hear about Missy. You must have been so devastated. Glad she went on to live a nice long life!

7. Ozzy Pawzbourne

omgosh- i love the stories we share here! what a pain in the butt!! How do you get rid of them and how have you kept the kitty food safe?

8. Ozzy Pawzbourne

this is a creative suggestion. Thank you. I wonder how my kitties would react to it.

9. Ozzy Pawzbourne

So this is what I came home to. ...ANTS EVERYWHERE!!! My poor kitties lost both their afternoon snacks to these buggers! Good thing Ozzy is on a bounce and didnt NEED that food to prevent a hypo! The only positive from this is that because there were so many, they had a clearly marked trail of how they were getting in and you won't believe this!!!: Through the tiny hole in the floor where our water line for the fridge comes up to supply water to the fridge!!! This is why I could not find a line of them coming from a single door or window. They found a way up into the house directly in the middle of the kitchen!!! Darn ANTS!!! I am not sure if you can caulk around the copper wire ( will have to ask Hubby) but for now I cleaned everything up with vinegar water and poured a mound of baby powder around and over the opening. I learned the baby powder trick last year and all my window seals are permanently covered in powder and it seems to have helped. Last year they even came up in the floor around the toliet so powder there too! These damn bugs are restlessness!!! I am thinking of putting some bait under the house to kill their colony. I am over this and was a MAD WOMAN last year when they got into my pantry!
    20170411_172128.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

I am having flashbacks to my own battles with the little critters now....

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Squalliesmom like this.
  11. carfurby (GA)

That's crazy. They are such a pain once they find food. I hope the baby powder helps.

Squalliesmom and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  12. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh how I feel your pain....just did the 'ant bowl' run to the sink this evening. Same little horrible ones you have...oh AWFUL! I'll try to remember to post my homemade ant poison that works better than anything else - there's not a product out there to 'control' those little bas**rds. :) I've fought them for years.

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Squalliesmom like this.
  13. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Squeaky and KT (GA)

Teehee! Had to chuckle! Try the baby powder! And please share your ant poison recipe! I am over them! If I can find their entry point, the baby powder and vinegar to clean up their scent works- but those buggers always seem to find another way in so I am open to ways to just get rid of them!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

ME TOO!!!

15. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

OMG ants like Weruva Cats in the kitchen Fowl Ball! (is it? looks like so.)
    Ants may not able to get in if the lid is open but....

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Morning Jo :bighug:. Didn't read thru everyone's responses so I may be repeating or confirming here but I sprinkle FOOD GRADE diatomaceous Earth in a circle around the food dishes where I feed our feral kitties in a garage. That way , no poison and if kitties get it on their paws it won't hurt them. We also find where the ants are coming in and sprinkle diatomaceous there too. Hope that is another weapon in ur ant arsenal !! Hugs to you and ur boys :bighug::bighug::bighug:

LizzieInTexas and Squalliesmom like this.
  17. Beth 73

Also( yes, we are sadly versed in all things ants here in the Ozarks) we sprinkle regular diatomaceous earth around foundation of house outside and at any door or window. Outside I also put out ant traps that guard my hummingbird feeders and help keep them from coming in....I just make sure to put them where no animals could walk in or lick just in case it's smell is attractive to them as well. So so SO feel ur ant pain...I became obsessed in my war with them and the DE has been my solution :);):cat:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Squalliesmom

I never even thought about using DE for ants! I know it's effective for fleas -I will have to give it a try for the ants, thanks!

19. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Another thing you might try is a combination of Borax and baking soda. Sprinkle it around. This works on roaches.

If the only place they are getting in is through the water pipe to your 'fridge, I would seriously consider detaching the 'fridge from the water line and cementing the pipe off permanently. Ice-cube trays that you fill with water yourself work just fine:)

20. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

You can get food grade that you should be able to use in the house. I think @Bobbie And Bubba uses it (I could be wrong on who)

ETA - just saw @Beth 73 post ^^ - :(

21. Beth 73

:). Yep, I get food grade ( white in color) at local health food store and use it inside and the regular ( brown/grey in color) at farm and home supply but I think WM carries the regular . The food grade comes in small bulk bags at our natural food store ....good ole Mama Jeans :)

22. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Using DE - I tried that but it's so fine that when they moved the bowl a bit, the DE would 'puff' into the air getting in their noses and eyes. That's an awful irritation - sneezing and very red eyes. Even tried it around our dogs food bowls - same problem. Baby powder works better as it's heavier but they sometimes tend to build an 'ant bridge' thru it. I now track the trail to where they're entering and use a feeding syringe with a long tip to put some of the liquid below. It draws them horribly BUT it also does stop them for a while. I mix it up in a jar and keep a lid on it in a safe place - use as needed. IT IS VERY TOXIC TO ANIMALS! Only use it where they can't get to it. This is the 'full' recipe, I half it.

1C Sugar
    3 tbsp Boric Acid - (I buy 'Roach powder' as that's the only 'boric acid' - NOT Borax!)
    3C warm water

Mix sugar and boric acid powder together. Add water slowly mixing so it's not lumpy. Using long tipped syringe, baster or syringe with 18ga needle or so, squirt it in the area that they're entering. Another method that I use for under things like dishwasher, stove and fridge - put bit of cotton ball flattened in jar lid. Put enough liquid in it to wet the cotton good and a bit more. Slide it under wherever. Put more liquid in it as it dries until you're not getting any coming to eat that one.

....and 'Rid A Bug' ant spray available at Dollar General...I've tried everything on the market I think and the Rid-A-Bug works best here. No animals near/in it until dry and no food prep areas.

They'll still be there but not nearly as many....they're stOOpid... :)

23. carfurby (GA)

24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

My condo association ended up hiring an exterminator that uses pet safe materials for spraying inside and out. We actually had a colony of ants that established itself under the building. Using a company that has "green" products and guarantees their work helped. The first year we had them back a lot!

25. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

got one more idea for you.... I haven't tried it with ants myself.

I had one of these in our old house for spiders and it seemed to work very well.... I hardly ever saw one.

In our current house, we've had lots of spiders so I just bought these things again
    https://www.amazon.com/Pest-Control...9901&sr=8-8&keywords=ultrasonic pest repeller

they've been plugged in for 2 weeks and my husband asked me yesterday if they repelled rodents too...
    I said yes.

He usually kills a mouse every other day in a trap out in our garage.
    For the last two weeks, he hasn't seen a single mouse, and that's out in the garage.

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

We have used DE in the past for fleas around the foundation of the house but I have not used it for ant control. I agree with Lyresa that you don't want your pets to be inhaling the DE as it is irritating to the nasal passage and lungs.

For ants, we use the boric acid and sugar also . Add water and then bring to a boil to heat and dissolve it. Let it cool and then we put in inside clean empty cat food cans and place where the ants like to be like under the sink and dishwasher ( they are looking for a water source )

Here is a tip a friend told me to do and it works. Place your cat or dog food bowl on a large baking tray, one with a lip, and put some water and the ants will drop into the water and drown. I have not tried it with the auto feeder as I have mine up on a table that is the cat's buffet area and ants have not found there way up there. But, looking at the bottom of the autofeeder, there is an indentation underneath and I think you might be able to try it with out damage to the auto feeder. Or just place the auto feeder up on a higher area as long Ozzy is able to make the jump.

27. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

It's that time of year...
    Any party at the timed feeder...

Here's what I have good luck with:
    2T peanut butter
    2T honey
    1/2t boric acid powder

Mix together well. Get several small empty glass jars with lids. I use 'Bonne Maman' jars because they stay put lying on their side. With a hammer and nail, tap 1/2 dozen holes into the lid, making sure they are towards one edge.
    Lay the jar on its side. Place a big smear of the bait on a small piece of waxed paper and lay it inside the jar. Place the lid tightly on and lay it down near the trouble spot so that the holes are closest to the ground and the bait is laying flat. The ant party will soon migrate to the jars. Let them feast. They will take the bait back to the nest. After a few days you will see improvement. Refresh as needed.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  28. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

I use clove oil (or whatever essential oil I have on hand) on a qtip to disrupt their trail. They get all confused and disappear in about an hour. If there are a lot, I still do this at entry points and then vacuum up the trail. Safe around people and relatively safe around pets, although I am super cautious with all product sn do not use in any areas that the cats would walk or lay. You have to follow the trail and treat at entry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.