? 4/17 Ozzy AMPS 277 PMPS 260 +2 198 Dosecrease??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Been off the board for a week! Missed the kitty committee! Hope all the beans and kitties are well!

We increased Ozzy's dose 2xs now in last 2 weeks and he still is not getting back to green as often as we would like to see. What do you guys think? Do we need to increase his dose again up to 1.25u? Or do you think he is just being bouncy? It's really hard to tell. I have been guilty of keeping him at a particular dose for too long when he was not getting good numbers so I am trying not to fall back into my old habits.

It's kind of frustrating that he doesn't have a similar predictable reaction to any given dose. Why do cats' insulin doses need to fluctuate/change so much? Ozzy keeps wobbling between doses.

While I'm whining above, I told Hubby I think Ozzy is going to get some better (maybe low) numbers tonight. He dropped from 260 to 198 by +2 so he may have an active cycle yet....we will see... If he does- we are prepared. And we are going to go with the 3 drops below 50 rule before reducing him back to .75u.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That 73 a couple days ago dies't give a lot of room for an increase. But if you can monitor and don't see green by tomorrow night, I think you can increase. It would be nice to see the entire range of numbers come down.

I have never used the words cat and predictable in the same sentence. :p

3. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

Welcome back! Looks like you may see action tonight. You threatened an increase, so Ozzy may get to work! :D
    We are frustrated over here, too. I have to take Taffy to vet to get new Rx, so I am going to have his teeth examined and talk about a dental. And I am wondering about correct insulin, am I doing everything right, etc. I am ok with Taffy not going OTJ, but I just wish I felt like these injections are helping him, bcuz often doesn't seem they are :(

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  4. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hey Jo and boys :) Been missing you and Ozzy. Praying for insight and wisdom as to what Mr Ozzy needs . You and DH are the best fur parents :)

5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

We decided to keep Ozzy at 1u for a few more cycles and see if things settle down. It's hard to really tell if he is not getting enough insulin or is bouncing from an unseen low because we can't get enough tests in during the work days and are not up late enough at night to really see where his nadirs take him.

Will be able to get a better idea as the weekend approaches and we can get some more mid cycle tests and stay up later at night.....although that doesn't seem to really matter since Ozzy is not regulated and reacts differently to the same dose on any given day. Is there ever going to be a point where we give him a certain amount and we can expect a certain range of numbers consistently? How do we get to at least that point? Say we just want his nadirs between 50-80....are we ever going to be able to give him a specific dose where we can have some predictability? Because it sure doesn't seem so...How do you get your cat regulated???

@Taffysmama Julie- hope ur kitty has a good vetty visit and the new vet can give you some good advice. I am curious how you picked your new vet and if they know what the TR protocol is? I found it hard to get good advice from my last vet who looked like she was 25 yrs old and didn't know about TR and therefore was not able to really contribute much to what I was doing with dosing,etc. Please keep us posted on your vet visit and any feedback you get. Thanks.

PS make sure you get a PRN script so you don't have to keep going back to the vet to get a new script! No fun to pay $$$ unnecessarily.

Taffysmama likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Patience grasshopper

There's no "one size fits all" in this disease so all you can control is what you can control.....sticking with the protocol you are using and just keep at it.

China didn't get this tightly regulated for 3 years (and trust me, I'm keenly aware she could lose it at any time)

It's also important to remember...insulin is a hormone.....it can act differently from cycle to cycle depending on 1000 other things....absorption can vary too (isn't this fun??)

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Jo,
    Sounds just like Teasel! All we can do is plug away and stay in the now. I don't torture myself by wishing for a more predictable kitty - too hard on me.

8. Taffysmama

Not. o_O

9. Taffysmama

Not going to vet just yet, but will be in the next few weeks, to get the new script. And I don't mind getting him checked more frequently now that he is getting older, etc. If his kidney values or anything changes, I would rather know sooner rather than later. BUT, as to vets...well, I have tried nearly everyone in my area and several not so close. After much frustration and now with the FD, I have just decided that the closest vet to our home is best for Taffy just to keep the stress of a car ride and everything to a minimum. I have no great expectations about the vets at this hospital being particularly knowledgeable about FD, but we'll see. I also don't know if this is where I would get a dental if he needs one. If they don't know about TR or the things I am doing for Taffy (raw diet, etc.), that's fine, as long as they tolerate it and support it. I have actually had two vets "fire" me as a client bcuz I would not do things their way. One guy really upset me bcuz I had thought that he was supportive, but then he changed his attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.