4.17 Rufus AMBG 121

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sean & Rufus, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Hi all-

Just checking in. Rufus' numbers have been better lately. Still OTJ. Now working on his stomach issues. My vets are being hard to deal with as far as helping me and getting me meds. What can you do. Just keep trying :)

On another subject, I learned something new yesterday. I gave Rufus a b12 shot, and it was one of those bigger gauge needle. Maybe 21 or 25 or something. Anyways, I had given Rufus Adequan with a similar needle, so wasn't too new to me. But I am unfortable with them, and Rufus notices the injection. So I gave it to him and must have hit something, because he was bleeding after :( I called the ER vet tech and she said when you give injections you are supposed to pull back on plunger after inserting to see if any blood enters, and then push in. I never had heard that before! Would not have worked in this situation either way, because of the color of the b12.

Hope everyone is doing well

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

It's good to see an update. Yep, you've got your handful with your veterinary selection...hopefully you're getting somewhere, though!

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. Sean & Rufus

Thanks @Amy&TrixieCat . He was doing pretty good, and then took a step back. Of course the vets dont seem to think it's an issue. Might have to switch IM vet. Don't want to, but she is getting very hard to deal with.

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have never heard of pulling back unless you are in a vein. I never had an issue with Jones B12 but I just use an insulin needle.

Has Rufus ever had an ultrasound done on his abdomen?

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  5. Sean & Rufus

Well, I guess you are supposed to pull back to see if you are in a vein. My plan is to use insulin syringes next. I got 6 prefilled syringes. And I dont think the dose is enough. And she and the IM wouldnt give more. I had to call old vet to order some.

Yeah, he had an ultrasound done same day as his dental. 2.14.18.

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Ouch on the shot, that’s bum luck. I give Asia methylB12 and Cerenia injections with 25g/1cc syringes all the time, I had never heard of doing that for sub q either. I’ve hit a capillary with an insulin syringe before.

Glad Rufus is hanging tough on the OTJ. When will you stop the atopica? Or is that a forever thing? I want to see what happens to the numbers when that goes.

I hope you can find a compromise with your vets, that stomach business is frustrating enough without having pushback on things to try. :bighug:

7. Sean & Rufus

Not sure. It was helping for the itching, scratching and gnawing. It also made him eat dry food again, but then doesn't want wet now. It makes him more nauseous then he already was. Last Monday the IM vet alnong with the dermatologist recommended going to every other day with the Atopica. That went good for a couple days but now he is itching again and still nauseous. IM vet recommended to take him off all anti nausea meds to see if they were making him nauseos (????). That didint go well.

The frustrating part is she doesnt want him on pred (I dont really either), or bude. The Atopica works, but doesn't work. She seems to think everything is honkey dorey because he hasnt lost weight. Well he we are lucky he hasnt lost weight and the reason is I have to force food on him ALL the time. She also thinks is great that he eats fancy feast, but it's causing the stomach issues. It's like talking in circles with her. Now she refuses prescribing b12 for him. I really think I need to find a new IM.

The thing that really bothers me is when we had his ultrasound. I told her my fear was it would come back with GI inflammed and if/when it does, we wont know if its IBD or lympohoma. She goes, oh I have so much experience with it that I can tell from certain markers. Oh ok. Well, after the ultrasound they say everything is good, nothing out of the ordinary. OK asweome. Then come to find out he does have inflammation. WTF. She says as soon as hes eating novel it'll go away. I CANT GET HIM TO EAT NOVEL. I can barely get him to eat some days. The other day he had pepcid, ondansteron, cernia, and gabapentin and wouldn't eat fancy feast. I ask if we should do a biposy, and she thinks its not neccesary (yet). He doesn;t have classic IBD symptoms. No weight lose, no diarreah, wasnt vomiting (now is on Atopica).

It's so hard when you know something is wrong. In her last report she wrote "
    Overall, Rufus appears to be doing well! It is a matter of reconciling what is bothering you with what is actually
    bothering him. Like we talked about, these may not be the same thing and your devotion to Rufus may be causing you
    to be more worried than you need to be!"

Yeah, I'm worried because he is not the same cat he was 6 months ago. I understand they change or things happen, but I KNOW he doesnt feel well. And this is the 3rd vet to tell me to take a step back. I realize that me worrying wont help Rufus, but I want to help him get back to a "normal" life and feeling generally better.

Sorry this was so long, I could have kept going on though. I think I'll switch Drs. I'm just so tired of them all saying the same BS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.