4/19 Kasha PMPS 392 QUESTION

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by kryskat, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

Ugh. Not sure if this is a reaction to yesterday, not enough insulin or a fur shot last night. I measured slightly less than .5 units this morning - aiming for around .25 units, but, as I said before, I am visually-spatially challenged. And I didn't know it till these past few weeks. I'm just going to have to see how she reacts to the new dose and try to come up with something consistent that works. I'm just hoping I didn't have another fur shot this morning, cuz I am feeling rough and it was tough just to get up to feed and shoot.

She again wasn't very interested in food. She ate so much yesterday, I can see why. We ended up with a little over 1 Tbsp of FF and then I convinced to to finish nearly 1 Tbsp of Wellness. That's about the norm for her to eat (or for me to make her eat so I feel better about it), but it took a lot of convincing to get her to finish it. Then I got some frozen shredded turkey out of the freezer, where I've been saving it for when I'm gone next week and suddenly her appetite revived. Guess I'll be getting more turkey to shred up and freeze for her this week.

2. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/19 Kasha AMPS 399

Sorry you are not feeling well! Don't think I have visited your condo before but just wanted to stop by and offer support! Have you tried a magnifying glass? I know a lot people use them to get the doses right!

3. kryskat

Oh - it's not that I can't see the lines, I see them very clearly and all. It's that I can't judge the distance between them. I can kind of guesstimate midway between the lines, but I can't tell the difference between the smaller increments (like midway and 3/4 of the way between looks the same to me). I guess I could try a magnifying glass, but I think it's my brain that's the problem.

4. kryskat

Re: 4/19 Kasha AMPS 399, +3 ~ 224, +4 ~ 76

Ok, according to my testing, around +3 (a little before +3, but close to +3) I tested her and she was 224. Then I just tested at +4 (which seems to be around when she hits her nadir according to my interpretation of things) and she was 76. I'm happy with the 76 (especially since she had such a tiny dose this morning), but not happy with the precipitous drop in an hour. Seems to happen a lot with her and I'm not sure why... I have noticed that she drops quickly when I suspect a rebound effect, but it's about 24 hours since she dropped really low yesterday - could her morning high numbers still be because of a rebound from yesterday morning's lows? Or maybe it was just a fur shot last night (although I didn't suspect it at the time - I've been a little woozy the last day or so and I can't rule it out). What's going on?

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi Krys.

Remember to link your condo from the previous day: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12294&p=123649&hilit=kasha#p123649

A couple of thoughts...
    I don't think you had a fur shot last night. I think Kasha bounced into the yellows and probably pinks and/or reds in order to give you your AMPS number today. The 34 you had at AM +3 yesterday is certainly bounce-worthy. The good news is that Kasha cleared the rebound quickly.

If all Kasha ate this morning was 1 tablespoon of food, that is what is contributing to the drop. Lantus' onset is anywhere from +2 to around +4 (this is another one of those ECID things). You saw a 175 point drop from AMPS to +3 and then another 148 point drop at +4. Aside from making sure that Kasha is eating at AMPS, some food maybe at +2 and/or +3 will help to soften these drops. I would really encourage you to give Kasha some food when you see that there's this much momentum there is behind dropping numbers.

It looks like her numbers are on the rise. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big bounce later today or this evening.

FWIW, I bought a pair of strong magnification reading glasses at Walgreens to help me see those tiny lines on the syringes.

6. kryskat

No - she ate her normal amount this morning (approx 2 Tbsp) - after a lot of encouragement. So, that shouldn't be the cause of her drop. Also - I did feed her when I noticed the drop, but what good will that do tomorrow and every other day when I'm at work?? Or even worse, next week when I'm out of town?

I leave food out for her, but the last couple days she did not go back to eat on her own - I actually brought food to her, while she was lying in her bed to encourage her to eat. I'm wondering how many times this has happened when I haven't been around to see it - there are a few times on the spreadsheet when she was oddly high in time for her shot and I'm guessing she might have dropped low while I was away.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Krys -

How much does Kasha weigh? And, what's her usual food consumption per day?

8. kryskat

What do you mean by "link to my condo from the previous day"? Do I include the link somewhere or...?

9. kryskat

Last time she was weighed (about 5 wks ago) she was about 10 lbs. A year ago she was 14 lbs - which is heavy for her, but where she seemed to have spent a lot of her life. She's probably a little over 10 now, she'll get weighed tomorrow and I'll know for sure.

She doesn't eat that much - the only way I can get her to eat 2 Tbsp at mealtimes is by following her around setting the bowl in front of her. She just seems to get tired of eating. Then she may or may not go back to nibble more in a few hours. I was leaving out a bowl of shredded turkey cuz she usually loves it and it's the only food that my other pig-cat won't eat. Any other food is fair game for him and he eats more than both of the other cats combined.

She just heaved up some clear fluid, but she doesn't seem to be feeling badly. Other than some sneezes, which may be due to the heat being back on due to the current cold weather (got a humidifier running to offset the dryness cuz she gets bloody noses if it gets too dry).

10. kryskat

Nice call on the bounce - she's at 322 at +10ish.

What do I do if she won't eat in the morning? Or if she only eats 1/2 her meal? Assuming I won't be there to monitor her - do I adjust her dosage for that day or what?

11. kryskat

Ok - she won't eat her dinner. Well, she's eaten maybe 1/2 the amount I regularly make her eat. I'm completely frustrated right now and I don't have the energy to do this. She's due for her shot in 1/2 hour and I have to run off to the vet right after that for another cat. I'm ready to throw up my hands right now. I just want to know what to do for her shot - the new dose or less or ??? I'm probably going to pass out early tonight because I'm sick and I have to go to work tomorrow, so I can't be up monitoring her.

12. kryskat

About to give her shot - any suggestions?

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

What happened?? Maybe the food is not appealing to her, can you put some liv a littles freeze dried chicken on top?, tuna juice? parmesean cheese,.? If she ate 1/2 the amount, she is still eating-- Just not enough for you --You should try to let her eat by herself!!
    If she is hungry enough, she Will eat--Nibbling does count! A cat does not have to eat a lot, most graze their food.
    Maybe she has a touch of a cold..Hope whatever it is, she will be better tomorrow..
    You can shoot & feed at the same time..
    I bring the shot, test equip, & food in at same time, take the test, give Moonie some chicken for a treat, shoot her, then give her a tbs of food on a paper plate, she eats it & I give her a little more, then put her dish down, & let her eat herself--self regulating--
    If Kasha felt herself dropping low, she should eat by hreself, most cats do--
    I really hope we can help you get her to a good place number wise & eating!

14. kryskat

I think she must be feeling off today. Maybe from yesterday's lows and me giving her food to get her numbers up. Or maybe she's just off - could be the weather, touch of something. I'm sick, one of my boys wasn't eating well today either (the other little piggy ate more than his share to make up for everyone else). Up until yesterday when she dropped to 34, I was relying on her to self-regulate, but that freaked me out. And I'm giving her such a tiny, tiny dose now (the vet would still have me giving 2 units, twice daily with no monitoring if it were up to her). Anyway - we're going to the vet tomorrow she'll get a little checkup, find out her weight, etc. Then I can argue with my vet about why I'm so high maintenance about my kitties...

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The bouncing can make some cats feel pretty yucky.

Just so you have a ballpark for how much Kasha should be eating, this is a formula from Dr. Lisa's site for calculating the number of calories per day your cat needs to maintain her weight: Required calories per day = [13.6 X optimal lean body weight in pounds] + 70. So if Kasha's current weight of 10 lbs is where you want her, she would need 208 calories per day. There are calories listed on Janet & Binky's list or on the can of food.

Is Kasha just a finicky eater? It seems like 2 Tbl of food isn't much for a growing kitty's breakfast! Based on calories, Kasha should be eating about 2.25 cans of FF gourmet chicken. and it doesn't sound like she eats anywhere near that much unless she grazes. If you segregate Kasha from your piglet, will she eat on her own? Is there anything that will entice her to eat -- topping her food with freeze dried chicken, dried tuna/bonito flakes, Parmesan cheese, tuna water, etc? On the other hand, if she'll eat 2 tablespoons of food every couple of hours, that's great. It won't overwhelm her pancreas and it will keep her metabolism stoked.

16. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Dont let the vet harrass you--You know what to feed her now--Dont get talked into Md or DM by the vet!!
    Be strong--I bring the Tilly Protocol & my spreadsheet to every vet I see, & say this is what
    I'm doing with her & that's it!!--118 kitties into remission in 2 yrs, speaks for it self!! Good luck tomorrow!

17. kryskat

Kasha alternates from being finicky and eating whatever. She's not so consistent. Even when she was 14 lbs, she didn't eat that much regularly. I could feed 2 of the 5.5 oz cans of Wellness for 3 cats per day and some days it will be all gone and some days I'll have to throw some away. They are older cats and don't burn up a lot of calories, I guess. They've been off dry food for months now, and even then it was supplemental to canned food, at least the last year or 2.

18. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Tomorrow will be 118. :mrgreen:

117 OTJ kitties since February 2008
    :D Pelusa :D Raja :D Bruce :D Scruffy :D Noisy :D Cyrano :D Chuck :D Cosmo :D Tobias :D Flamie :D Thomas :D Brutus :D Abby :D Alex :D Lexie :D Tom :D Smokie :D Friday :D Chloe :D Calliope :D Natasha :D Gracie :D Alex :D Shadow :D Grover :D Fluffy :D Mary :D Rocket :D Petie :D Harley :D Karre :D Venice :D Butcher :D BigMac :D Ti-Mi :D Zoe :D Devo :D Tuxedo :D Pumpkin :D Oscar :D Morrie :D Olivia :D Fuzzy :D Riggs :D Cobra :D Chip :D Rosco :D Emo :D Jake :D Peepee :D Nosey :D Lucy :D Kato :D Tom :D Rascal :D Cream :D Chico :D Casper :D Maui :D Crash :D Blackjack :D Joey :D Arlene :D Tom :D Kahuna :D Big :D Boy :D Mika :D Buster :D Grey :D Boy :D Smokie :D Spooky :D Cruiser :D Sparky :D Miss :D Kitty :D Raistlin :D Boo :D Seamus :D Marco :D Tizon :D Scar :D Alex* :D Black Kitty :D Guinness :D Beethoven :D Jesse :D Moon :D Barry :D Beeker :D Raja :D Nefeli :D Rocky :D Tummy :D Callie :D Milo :D Grace :D Matty :D Porky :D Scruffy :D Luna :D MEL :D Tommy :D Indy :D Jasper :D Velcro :D Max :D Maximus :D Mally :D Dillan :D Webber :D Sami :D Basil :D Quincy :D Tasha :D Spot :D Donovan :D Smokey :D Max :D HANK :D

19. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Are you still looking for answer about dose this evening? Wait until the rest of the numbers come in but I probably would think something slightly less would be a good idea, like a reg. 0.25u or a s0.25u. A drop can make a difference.

20. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

I had trouble posting the condo stuff too. Below is the help I got.

Click on View Your Posts, the right click on yesterday's thread that you created (4/19 Kasha PMPS 392 QUESTION), click copy link. Now go over to the LANTUS (GLARGINE) sub-board and click on new topic. Put today's data in subject line (4/20 Kasha PMPS XXX), in text box write your message, hit return a couple of times to create some space, click on the URL just above the text box, add "=" (w/o quotes) right next to the 1st ,right click to paste the link you just copied where xx is, type in Yesterday's Condo between ] & [. Preview to make sure you got it right, adjust if needed, & submit.

;''''''

Hang in there & hope this helps.

21. kryskat

Thank you for the info on how to include a link to the previous day's condo in my post! I updated my 4/20 post to include this and I'll try to remember to do it from now on. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.