4/19Ravan/amps198/+5 298/+9 119/pmps113/+4 106/+8 109/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Apr 19, 2019.

1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

2. JoyBee&Ravan

I'm not sure if Ravan's BG is going up so High from the UTI or could the Clavamox Drops be raising it? I called the company & was told it contains Saccharin that can raise the glucose.It causes changes in the gut bacteria that does raise glucose!
    This is why I hate using any Pharmaceuticals! You just don't know what's in it or how it will affect your cat.
    I'm very concerned that it might be the infection getting worse,not better?
    I increased the insulin a bit to see if it will lower these high #'s.

3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

The UTI can definitely raise BG and even though we think the BG will start to come down as soon as the antibiotics start to work their magic, I've always found that it takes a while. How long has he been on the antibiotics?

4. JoyBee&Ravan

He got his first dose on Tues night. Tonight would be the 3rd day. The Clavamox might be also raising his BG.
    I just read this by Dr. Lisa Pierson.
    I have seen countless cases where both the veterinarian and the client are ‘chasing their tail’ by pouring needless antibiotics into their sterile cystitis patients. This not only results in added expense and stress for the client, but please also consider the added stress to the patient’s mind and body and the significant potential for promoting bacterial resistance. Most cats are not happy about taking medications and all medications have negative side-effects.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Some ABs do raise BG. It should come back down once he is done with the AB. I'm glad he is eating better and peeing less. Sending prayers.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

She’s right BUT she is not addressing UTIs and their prevalence in diabetic cats. For most non diabetic cats, it is rare for them to actually get UTIs and it often is sterile cystitis which will resolve on its own. Gracie had this issue before becoming diabetic and we did not use antibiotics.

Unfortunately, what tends to happen is a CG brings a non FD cat in because they have the symptoms of a UTI and because it takes a few days to get the results back, the vet starts antibiotics when, in most cases, they aren’t needed. However, it’s not a chance I’d take with a diabetic cat.

I believe I mentioned to you that you had to be careful with liquid clavamox and amoxicillin because they could have sugar. Saccharin can also raise the BG. When you use any liquids for a FD, steer away from sugars and artificial sweeteners like xylitol, maltodextrin, saccharin, etc. They can all raise the BG.

Clavamox is a pretty good, broad spectrum a/b so I doubt the infection is getting worse. It’s likely the ingredients of the antibiotic. But, don’t stress....you did the right thing by raising the insulin as long as he’s on the antibiotic and then go from there. He’s not going to be on it long and the priority is getting rid of the infection.

7. JoyBee&Ravan

Ravan's bg has gone even higher +5 298.

+9 119 the increase must be working?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Let’s hope!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.