4/2: Pablo's AMPS 235, PMPS 76, +3 171

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Holly and Pablo, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Hello Lantus Land! Long time, no see.

Things have been fine for the last couple of weeks. Pablo had a bout of yellows, but overall, 6.25 units has been a pretty decent dose for him. Until I got a surprise 60 at normal PM shot time today! I stalled for an hour, and he was surfing in the 70s, so I shot a reduced 6.0 units. nailbite_smile

Considering how much he usually food spikes, I'm not all that worried. I couldn't wait any longer to give the shot, and I knew if I skipped it, he'd be in the 300s before morning (like on 3/11 when I skipped a shot). In any case, I have lots o' strips and high carb food. LC usually brings him up enough (like on 3/28 when I got a 50 @ +6, fed LC, and got 134 at +7).

So as for a WCR: nothing new to report today. Fussy with testing but affectionate.

Over the past several weeks, I think I've noticed his whisker area widening. :sad: Maybe I'm being paranoid after the acro diagnosis, but I swear he looks different as of late. And the WEIRDEST thing happened the Thursday before last. It was about 3 in the morning before I went to bed, and he'd pooed in the litterbox, then curled up on my comforter as usual. About 30 minutes later, I awoke to my pjs and undies soaking wet, and I couldn't figure out why (I thought I'd wet the bed, honestly, and was really freaked out!). When I turned in the light, I realized he'd PEED where he was laying...straight through to the mattress! It was like Lake Erie. I have no idea why that happened...no change in habits before or after. I guess he just fell asleep and didn't realize he had to go! If it weren't near impossible to obtain a sterile urine sample, I would have taken him in for a UA, but he's been fine since. It was so bizarre. And pretty gross, too...

So anyway, that's my update for the month. Kidding. I try to post more often, but lurking is about all I have the energy for here lately.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/2: Pablo's AMPS 235, PMPS 76, dosecrease

Just pay attention to his numbers tonight. Pablo's pancreas may be kicking in and I remember Carolyn saying that you may have to be aggressive with HC if the tumor is being inactive and you have Pablo's pancreas working in concert with the Lantus.

My GA civie, George, was so crashed after a dental that he peed in my bed. He was just zonked. I'm guessing Pablo was sound asleep and didn't realize that there was a more appropriate place for nature to call.

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Re: 4/2: Pablo's AMPS 235, PMPS 76, dosecrease

Gross!!! Poor Pablo - I bet he was embarrased (and if he wasn't, he should have been!). :mrgreen:

Remember - "Acro beans don't need green". Be sure to check him a couple of times...he might earn himself a decrease tonight.

Are you all set for CSU? Got all arrangements made? I'm excited for you!

Sienne, I need to correct this one just a bit...an acro's pancreas is always working - there is nothing wrong with it. Its the hormones producted by the tumor which prevents the body from being able to use its natural insulin. If the hormone levels decrease, his body can use more of his own insulin, which means you need to reduce the amount of Lantus.

4. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Re: 4/2: Pablo's AMPS 235, PMPS 76, +1 125

Well, surprise...he's at 125 an hour after dinner! Yikes. I gave 1/2t of my other cat's MC FF. Guess he'll keep me on my toes tonight.

Heather: I've got the date scheduled with Dr. Lunn and a hotel booked. The darn thing is going to cost $411 for five nights (that's with the discount for Pablo being a CSU patient...the guy who answered the phone knew about the discount). It ended up being $75.65 for the first four nights, and a whopping $109.66 for Thursday night because it's graduation for CSU on Saturday. They didn't even have a room for Friday night, so I guess I'll be checking out at 11:00 and just hanging out until Pablo is done. After he told me it was that expensive for the "graduation special," I guess I wouldn't have really wanted to stay another night anyway!

As for how I'm getting to Colorado: I suckered a coworker into driving with me! He drove last year and has friends an hour from CSU, so I'm going to drop him off and he'll stay with them while I'm in Fort Collins. Flying was really expensive, as was renting a car, so I told him I'd pay him $200 if he drive half of the time! I think I'll be less stressed that way. I've only flown a couple of times, and it makes me a little nervous. Oh, except that driving takes 27 hours from here...and we're driving straight through to save $$$. Shouldn't be too bad with two drivers, right? :roll: I keep telling myself that. It will be hell.

5. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Re: 4/2: Pablo's AMPS 235, PMPS 76, +1 125

Ugh! Driving for 27 hours WILL be hell! However, it probably will be nicer than flying and worrying about everything else. Get some music, maybe books on tape and just take it easy. I'm not sure Dallas is the best route, but you guys are more than welcome to stay at my house on the way and/or way back if you need a break.

(And Sienne is right about the HC...if it looks like he's going to drop too much, let him have a can of HC. You don't want to mess around with LC or MC at the lower numbers).

6. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Re: 4/2: Pablo's AMPS 235, PMPS 76, +2 122

He's at 122 at +2, and I gave him 3 pounce treats that I'm assuming are high carb...they're cheap and look pretty low-quality!

Heather, thanks again for the offer. I'm letting my coworker basically make the decisions on where to drive, and I think he's taking us to Atlanta and then north, towards Illinois. If it were me alone, I need to leave a week early to get there on time because I'd get lost every other turn! I wouldn't conceive of driving alone for that exact reason. But I'll talk to him, and we may decide to drive back that way, because I'm sure I'll be exhausted and frazzled by then!

7. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

+3 171. Those pounce treats must really be high carb to cause that increase!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.