4/2 Tess AMPS ~ 248 PMPS~159

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ann & Tess GA, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

4/1 Condo

Tess has been consistently climbing, now mid yellows, We want to go back to at least a drop. Really need advice now!

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 4/2 Tess AMBG ~ 248 Want to Shoot

I`d want to add a drop too with that number but I don`t know dosing so I can't say.
    What about if you edit your first post and put a STAR icon to grab someone's attention

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I thought you were going to shoot a little less than 0.1u today? That's what it sounded like in yesterday's condo.

4. Ann & Tess GA

CD asked if I could manage that, I wasn't sure if she was advising to do it though. Am shooting right on the line now.

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I don't know what protocol would say, but if it was Smokey I'd be aborting the trail and giving her more time to heal. Sorry Tess is climbing again.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/2 Tess AMPS ~ 248 Shot on the line

Hmmm... I thought the assumption was to shoot. Either way, with an AMPS over 200, shooting is the right decision.

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm sorry the trial didn't work out this time, I'm glad you shot. Hopefully Tess just needs a little more time.

8. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Ann.....I was scrolling through the posts, past this one up somehow and saw that you started an OTJ trial yesterday...then saw this post...
    Sorry the trial had to be aborted, Tess needs a little more time to heal. That's ok, tho....it will happen. It was exciting, tho, wasn't it!!

9. Ann & Tess GA

Re: 4/2 Tess AMPS ~ 248 +2~158

Tess is very happy and playful this morning. I think she likes having her insulin back. +2 was down to 158. All Ps are in place.

I understood with her strange numbers the reasoning behind trying the OTJ, especially since we had just skipped a shot anyway. I was rather surprised, but i understood. Maybe being more aggressive and trying will stimulate Tess to make a new adjustment faster. it has worked in the past. There was enough encouragement to try it that I abandoned my cautious approach. So, I'm not really surprised that it didn't take. Next time.....

10. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: 4/2 Tess AMPS ~ 248 +2~158

(((Ann & Tess))) was thinking of you & must have missed your post too... looks like a little more time to heal, but how wonderful she is on such a low dose & that is all it takes to keep her #s Beautiful! Gooooo Tess!!

11. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Hi Ann-
    I think I would have done what you did. It is SO hard to know what's right at the various points. I don't begin to understand all this still. As soon as you think you do, they throw you twists and turns and you have to figure it out some more. I have seen not to put too much credence into any one or two numbers, to look instead for patterns. But those Mom's instincts of yours are powerful too and you have to pay attention.

I think the 'drop' is semantics. It cannot be precise. I doubt any of us are measuring the same. I really think my earlier .25, .1, may have each been less than that. You know what you were doing before,...just shave some from there and call it whatever you want. If you were on the high side of the 0 line before, then go to the lower side now.
    I have seen some great tips on the board though. Sienne had me practice w/ milk so you could see where you were and what came out..that was a good one.
    I liked the one about keeping the syringe depressed while injecting/pulling out to make sure every drop goes in. CD suggests twisting instead of pushing while measuring. I try even once pushed to the bottom of the 0 line to at least pull back by a fraction of a fraction of a hair to be sure something is in there, but w/ bubbles, even then I wonder if he gets more than residue sometime.

Your Tess girl means serious business. She let you know what you were shooting before was too much. She has been here not much longer than us and is clearly racing to get done. There was maybe one teeny baby step you could still take but it won't be long before you are ready again.

We're pulling for ya'll now and rooting for what's around the corner.

12. Ann & Tess GA

Re: 4/2 Tess AMPS ~ 248 +2~158 +4~115

+4 down to 115, maybe we wIll see green today after all.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi ann. inverted curves can be caused by not enough insulin as well as too much insulin. the tricky part is figuring out which. when you get down to these microdoses like 0.1u bid, *usually* those inverted curves mean too much insulin. the suggestion to attempt an otj trial was based on the possibility 0.1u bid was too much insulin... causing the inverted curves you can see quite often on tess's spreadsheet. since you had just skipped a shot it seemed like a good time to test the theory. unfortunately, it usually takes longer than 36 hours for bounces to clear. in other words, despite the numbers, not enough time was given to the trial to rule out too much insulin being given.

at this point, all we know for sure is tess either needs more than 0.1u or less than 0.1u bid.
    since you've already shot today, let's get the numbers down and then re-evaluate in another few days...

14. Ann & Tess GA

Sorry if I panicked, but wasn't prepared for such a consistent rise to such high numbers. I asked for advice this morning and yesterday, without it I had to act as DH and I thought best for Tess. We had too little information on how long or how high to let her go.

15. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Ann, so sorry this trial didn't work...but, sounds like now you have more info to help guide you the next time. I had no idea that the inverted numbers you are seeing with Tess could have been caused by too much insulin...what Jill said today is very interesting.

I would have done exactly what you did today. There will always be a next time to try another experiment! :D

She's doing so great!

**edited to change your name to Ann instead of Tess!! :D Duh and oops! My apologies! My brain sometimes does not work...

16. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

well just want to offer my support and send HUGS from Lisa and Do Lou :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

17. Libby and Lucy

No worries, Ann, this isn't one of the typical patterns we see often, so you didn't know. I didn't either, and I'm sure I would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes. I do see the inverted curves on Tess's spreadsheet, lots of them, and at the teeny dose she is on it usually does mean too much insulin rather than too little. However, it's hard to look at 200's. I have no doubt we'll be trying again very soon (I'm learning along with you on this one). :smile:

18. Ann & Tess GA

Thanks for the support Judith and Lisa. I needed the hugs today, I think.

Libby, thanks you too. I do remember you're mentioning the inverted curves as an indication of too much insulin, which is why I assumed you thought it was worth a trial. Tess has always fluctuated so much I've never really understood her sheet or when her nadir is. But I also know Tess likes very subtle changes in doses, so I probably should have played it safe and gone for the reduction to a drop rather than OTJ. I knew it was a chance, especially after only having one cycle in green since her upset at my being gone. I just wasn't sure when to throw in the towel. I couldn't stand the thought of her going on up to pink, (I've always hated that color :twisted: ).

This morning I lined up w/ the zero line. I checked the syringe after the shot using water. I got 2 smallish drops or maybe one larger one. So that's what I'm shooting, unless you think I should adjust it.

Tess could care less about all this, of course. She just wants to know why she hasn't been fed yet, her stomach is still back on the old schedule. I told her it's all her own fault, but she isn't listening. :lol:

19. Libby and Lucy

I did think it was worth a trial, and I think it will be worth another one very soon. It's the only way to know for sure if Tess is bouncing off the dose.

20. Ann & Tess GA

OK, I'm sure it will be soon too. I thought it was worth a shot too or I wouldn't have tried. So stick w/ this dose for 6 cycles unless there is a big drop below 50.

21. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ann. I know nothing about doses. Just wanted to comment on how adorable Tess is. I think Checkers has a crush on her. He was staring at the monitor while I was reading your condo. :D

22. Ann & Tess GA

Tess is slowly coming down, she got pretty close to green this am, maybe tonight.

I managed to get DH to cut up a little raw chicken for her before he cooked it all. She left her dinner and wolfed it down, I think she won't mind switching to raw. if anyone around here ever starts to carry it, I'd like to try a commercial brand before I invest in all the stuff to make large batches of it at home. I did find out that one of the guys at Farm Supply raises rabbits for meat, so that's available. I just don't know how he packages it. If it is whole I'm not sure if I could deal with grinding up a whole bunny. :shock: I hope I can get it pre-ground w/ bones.

I'm going to try to give her snacks at +3, +6 and +9. Oh Boy! up at 4:00am again. :roll: I need to get a timed feeder.

I haven't been able to post for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.