4/20 Foster Cat Kitty: AMPS 213; PMPS 319

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by missyandlittlegray, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missyandlittlegray

missyandlittlegray Member

Her excursions around my apartment are becoming more frequent. I've been rubbing a few drops of Rescue Remedy into the fur on the top of her head every few hours, and maybe that turning her into a brave, but still cat-hating Kitty. She's still not eating and has a vet appointment tomorrow.

2. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

3. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Re: 4/20 Foster Cat Kitty: AMPs 213

Have him check those teeth.

4. missyandlittlegray

I will. Even I can tell they're in bad shape. What else should the vet look for? The shelter vet did a full blood panel.

5. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Oh boy, I've always meant to compile a list for going to the vet -- haven't done it. :roll:
    I wonder how high BG numbers can go in a cat who is not diabetic -- like with infection, teeth, or something. She had high numbers in the beginning? so FD would be the logical call but I still wonder.
    Wondering if kitty has something else driving the numbers up or maybe she is just a micro-dose kitty -- we've had others on micro doses.
    She was being overdosed -- there is a theory that overdosing can start the remission process.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Aside from poor appetite is there anything else you've noticed that's out of the ordinary? Any LB changes?

A repeat on the BW will tell you if there's any infection. Pancreatitis might cause loss of appetite but I would suspect there to be other symptoms, unless you're catching it early. Bad teeth can make eating an issue, as well.

7. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

I think it would be awesome if you took a printed out copy of the spreadsheet so far in with you.. explain the story.. I'd do it just for the reaction!! I'd be shocked if you didn't get at the very least a weird look when you explain when you got Kitty her dose was 5U.. and this morning she was 213 on 0.1U ;).. ah but I live for those "WHAT THE HECK?" expressions because I'm evil that way ;)..

If you think the teeth are really messed up.. that can be the explanation for everything.. we put off dental surgery on my HCM cat because of the dangers putting a cat under with bad heart problems (and his prognosis was garbage.. it was pretty safely assumed his heart would give before his teeth did).. eventually it impacted his life so much that it was really absolutely necessary.. he was barely eating.. it was a disaster.. there was a decent chance it was just a really expensive way to put him to sleep.. by the evening on the day of surgery.. he was eating full steam.. within a week (after his pain medication and antibiotics ran it's course).. he was a brand new cat.

8. missyandlittlegray

I'm planning to take her ss with us, and I can't wait to see the look on the vet's face. She considers herself a feline diabetes expert and encourages home testing and all-wet food diets. But I think she'll be surprised by how powerful just a couple of drops of insulin can be. She saw Little Gray just once (she's not my regular vet) and thought I tested too often and should take him off insulin because he was always below 300. I thanked her for the advice and kept on giving him insulin.

9. Dawn & Nova

Hmm that's actually a really curious question.. I suppose our vets would know? I know my cats vet hospital is very dental surgery heavy.. and they won't do any surgery without a blood panel first.. I assume most places have that requirement..

Also really glad to hear Kitty is being so brave about exploring!! :)

10. missyandlittlegray

Her numbers were consistently high. Not that she was tested that often. :( I doubt that her teeth were as bad when she was diagnosed as they are now. But I'll ask the vet tomorrow if some kind of chronic infection could cause the high numbers. Something is definitely not right with her, and I'm not sure it's "just" diabetes.

11. missyandlittlegray

I'm surprised she's not even higher. She's been eating "grilled" Fancy Feast topped with my feral's Friskies Signature Blend dry food today. Desperate times call for desperate measures. At least she ate. She's not feeling well. No exploring tonight. She's been curled up in her bed in the bathtub sleeping all evening. I sat on my bed with her and brushed her, but she didn't seem to enjoy either the company or the brushing. That's not like her. I'm really glad we're seeing the vet tomorrow.

12. Dawn & Nova

Awww feel better Kitty :(.. Good luck at the vet tomorrow.. hopefully they have really good answers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.