4/20 Freddie AMPS 80, PMPS 281, Somogyi rebound?? Help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue and Freddies Mom, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hello,

I was wondering if someone had some advice on my cats crazy numbers as follows. He is 12 years old and has been diabetic for 9--he is on Lantus twice a day. I've been hometesting since the beginning of the year.

APMS 80
    +2 119
    +4 159
    +6 181
    +8 205
    PMPS 281

I have been reading about the Somogyi effect and was wondering if that was what was going on :?:
    I don't usually test this often (he is such a good trooper!!) but I was just suspicious that something was off. He had 1 unit this morning. Given the extreme numbers I reduced it to .75 unit incase the Somogyi effect is taking place. If you want check out Freddie's ss it is below. I'm on east coast time here so will be heading to bed soon, but will check in again in the a.m.

If anybody is familiar with this type of thing, I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, with Lantus, Somogyi rebound is unlikely. The following quote is from the Tight Regulation Protocol for Lantus and Levemir:
    I don't think you have enough information on your spreadsheet to draw any conclusions. In particular, you don't have any evening tests so it's hard to know where your AMPS number came from. Typically, with rebound your AMPS and PMPS numbers are high and the mid-cycle numbers are low. As a result of the low numbers, the liver releases glucose and counter-regulatory hormones into the bloodstream to protect the body from BG going too low. The BG levels then skyrocket. Most cats will experience some rebound but it is not prolonged, as would happen in Somogyi. I don't think this is what's happening in Freddie's case but without more information, especially without tests during the evening cycle, it's not really possible to tell.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Freddie's mom

Agree with Sienne, you are doing well with your daytime spotchecks, but half the picture is missing with no evening data.
    It would be good to see a +3 thru to your bedtime (before bedtime check) and on nites u stay up or weekends, for example - a little more numbers would be very useful to see whats happening at nite after the PMPS shot.

Hope we see u often so the experienced members, like Sienne, and plenty of others are usually around, can guide you along.

4. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Thanks for your help. I'll try and get more numbers in.

5. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome,

I think you'll find the rewards of the night testing make it well worth it. There's lots of experience and wisdom in these parts and you can put it to work for your Freddie!

Hope to see you more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.