4/20: Pablo's AMPS 290, PMPS 265

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Holly and Pablo, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Condo from 4/16

WCR: he is about to have an angry bean because the transition to a later shot time = Pablo still expecting food at 6:00. He wakes me up and squawks for an hour before I get frustrated and squirt him with a water bottle. Then I feel guilty and am naturally wide awake by that point. :roll:

So I finally decided that the high blood sugar is not related to the raw food and upped his dose to 6.5 on Saturday. He promptly gave me an 81 on Sunday, so I backed him down to a skinny 6.5 units (following the acro beans need not see greens rule). Darned if he hasn't been solid yellow since then! I haven't seen a single blue since.

So I increased back to 6.5 units tonight. Am I doing the right thing? 6.5 units seems to be the dose that always causes trouble. The time before last when I increased to 6.5, he nearly hypo'd (a 44 at +12), and then Sunday's 81. Was I right to skinny up the dose after getting a green? What's the rule? Or is there one?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't think there is a rule other than trying to keep Pablo in the blues or even a low yellow. From what I've seen, you want to keep him below renal threshold but not so low that you're struggling to get his numbers up. You're probably not getting the kind of consistency you're looking for because the tumor is probably inconsistently putting out growth hormone or I wonder if numbers like the 81 are related to you're maybe having fed a snack which caused Pablo to put out some endogenous insulin. I think you are in the process of learning how Pablo responds to insulin, food, etc. in light of the acro diagnosis.

3. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Hello Pablo - what big beautiful eyes and a cute pink nose you have. Just dropped by to introduce ourselves as we are fairly new. Good luck with your tweaking of that dose.
    Later.

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I think you are doing fine Holly. It's okay if he hits green (especially the higher ones); it's just not your goal because there is no healing to be done.

I'll tell you - right before we went to CSU, Boo's dose started going up and up. However, I was actually happy about that because the increased doses made me positive that CSU was the best chance she had. :smile:

5. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Thanks for the input. I've never decreased when seeing a green before, but I wanted to be cautious rather than ignore it and risk a hypo. I probably should have stuck to the 6.5 originally.

Boo...if Pablo shoots up to some outrageous amount of insulin before May 10th, I might have a mental breakdown! I like my almost normal amount of insulin just fine! Another question though: is his outrageous appetite still the unregulated diabetes, or are acro cats hungrier than other cats? Or is my Pabby just a pig? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.