4/21 Oliver amps 365 pmps 392

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s Condo for Oliver

Oliver was waiting patiently at the bedside; time for me to get up and tend to him.
    So, even with TOR, he is clinging to those pinks, and it took a .5R shot at +6 to wrestle a bit of yellow from him by +8. This morn, we went with 1.25R for his amps, and hope by +2 we will see a good drop in that pink amps.

Oliver's been doing his usual OK self stuff, but he has had a couple 'accidents' just outside the litter box. I have a couple nice washable matts and some paper down by the box, but it's deja vu from the days just before/after Shadoe's starting on insulin. He is still testing negative for ketones, so that's one good thing, but he has been on insulin for a bit so I wonder why he's had this change.

Here's hoping with the R to pull him into some nice yellows, he will start to feel better.

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/21 Oliver +8 281 amps 365 +1~427

Come on down Oliver... Well Gayle..you really do have your hands full. Hoping that his numbers will improve soon for you. Sending hugs your way... :YMHUG:

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I wanted to pass on a bit of what I know about R (cause I saw you were up last testing).
    When you start R, you test ever hour, but's that for safety AND to find your R nadir. Boo's R nadir was at 2.5; you are thinking Oliver is between +2-3. Once you know what the nadir is, you don't have to continue testing each hour - you can just test near nadir or even just get your regular spot checks since we know he's not even thinking about crashing.

Double-check with Jojo or Carolyn, but there is no need to reduce the amount mid-cycle. What you want to avoid is both insulins nadiring at the same time. Boo's Lantus nadir was +6. Therefore, it was safe to shoot R preshot & at +6. The only time I couldn't shoot R was at Lantus +4.

Hope that helps a bit. Beans need sleep.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 4/21 Oliver +8 281 amps 365 +1~427 +2~400 +3~365

Thanks Heather; I am pretty sure he is laughing at me BIG TIME and thinking at me, not yet you fool!

Seriously, it takes him hours to just get down to his ps. Today was not bad, it took only 3 hours :roll:

He does seem to be slower at reacting to R than Shadoe, but it could just be the amount of R that is making a difference in reaction. I may as well just stick to +3 with him to test for R reaction.

Nadir from Lev? I get the feeling it's late or just late because it takes him awhile to realize he got a shot! More at at mid cycle, around +5 or 6 certainly won't clash with whatever nadir this boy may have.

I guess we'll go with another 1.25 at +6 today and see what we can get from the boy.
    Maybe another yellow!

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

It's interesting in here. Was looking at his ss and see your up to 6 l and now 1.25 r. Have you noticed any difference between lantus and lev? Looking at the ss, they seem to be working the same (and guess that proves the theory that they are very similar insulins).

I'm going to continue following Shadoe and Oliver as I feel there is a lot for me to learn here. So, even if I don't post regularly, just know, I'm lurking and learning..... :mrgreen:

And that's to hope for sustainable greens sometime soon!

6. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Is your shooting schedule flexible? I ask cause I'm wondering if you might want to try some early shots. You would not want to get into that if schedule is not extremely flexible.

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hilary,
    I will try to put as much as I can in their condos and if there is ever a question, just ask because I may have not thought of putting that info into the condo.
    I had naively thought of starting 2 blogs, one for each and it's turning into a time issue, so they are created but woefully lacking stuff.
    I would totally want to share all we do and experience, good and bad, to help and warn others.

D,
    My Schedule can be as flexible as they need just about. There may be some times that won't work, but early shots are not an issue.
    In the morns, I have trouble ignoring Oliver till his 6am amps, and the eve is no different, cuz he needs FOODS when I get home. I toss him a small handful of steamed chicken cubes and tell him to go and pout with Shadoe cuz no more foods till 6pm.

So Oliver would vote for early shots, cuz early shots mean early foods!

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Gayle - just keep posting how you are and if I have questions, believe you me, I'll ask. You have two cats with interesting issues and your slide up the dosing scale and using R is something that I didn't have to experience, so for me it's more what I can learn here than anything else.

9. D and Noisy

I like using early shots with a cat that is stuck. It is a little different than raising dose, you are using the overlap (which is the part that is like a dosecrease) while trying to head off the higher numbers. Lantus works better at a lower starting point so shooting early gives you a jump on the climbing number. Overlap and earlier onset can do wonders.

Do Lou, who was stuck, has been using some early shots, might look at his SS. With Noisy there was a period of time I rarely shot 12/12, give his SS a look too. My theory was if I lost Noise to the higher numbers it would take days, sometimes weeks, to get him back down so I started getting aggressive in trying to keep him from going to the dreaded pink stucco numbers.

I know Oliver has a lot of helpers so I think it would be good for them to chime in on this idea.

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

D,
    It sounds like an interesting idea, but I really don't know anything behind how it would work. I was looking at someone talking about split shots and thought Ugh how to figure it all out! But, if it's something that would fit and works, why not?

We'll see what the others have to say about it all; not clear how it differs from using R or whether R would no longer be needed or what.

11. D and Noisy

Yea, I was wondering about the R factor too. My guess is you would still use R. I think it is worthy of discussion. For a visual example, I'm going to go into SS and pull some places I think an early shot could be used and report back.

12. D and Noisy

The benefit is to have Lantus onset start from a lower number than it would have in conjunction with using some overlap from the last dose.

[​IMG]

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

D,
    Don't forget that both Oliver and Shadoe are on Lev now; will this altered system still be fine with Lev?

I think the R would still be good for pulling a bit high down to a decent range for surfing.
    If he starts in high 300 or low 400, it's good to give R and bring him down by +2 to a low 300 or high 200. Then the Lev should kick in and carry him nicely in that decent range of 200s, or at least that's my plan.

Since I still don't know how much R will pull him enough, and because he's still not at a good enough dose of Lev, I am using R also at mid cycle - today, at his +6 of 349, I gave him .75R, just to see what help it will do.

14. D and Noisy

I did forget the Lev but I don't think it is any different. I noticed in SS you are trying some mid-cycle shots, which I thought was a real good idea.
    Put the early shot thing on the back burner, I just wanted to toss it out there as a possible option.

15. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

D,
    The biggest part I don't understand is how shooting early will help when we get to the next preshot time?

Example:
    amps is at 6am and dose is 6uLev.
    The Lev kicks in around +3 or 9am.
    By +10 or 4pm, he's rising and I shoot 6uLev.
    That tells me his dose is lasting only 7 hours.
    Where you lose me is that I am going to keep running out of juice always early so I will end up shooting earlier and earlier.
    The pmps became 4pm and now, after 7 hours, he will be rising again and I will need to shoot at the new +10 or 2am.

That flexible I am not, especially since in a few days, I would end up needing to shoot when I am at work.

What about the split shots? If that 6u were split and given at say +10 and then +14 or however it works?

I am positive that I am missing something here.

What do you think about the split shots?

16. D and Noisy

I know nothing about splitting shots, can't advise.

Yes, you go around the clock and it isn't easy on the bean. Early shots are a good tool if a cat is stuck and the person can toss any schedule out the window. There are also times when a person might shoot a +10 or +11 and make up the difference in subsequent cycles but that's for a different scenario than I am seeing here, O being stuck in the high numbers. With Oliver it would be a series of early shots so for now move it to the back burner.

I could envision you using the non-frequent early shot method in a scenario like, after Oliver has a breakthrough, you are running in the yellows, you see him heading up and want to stop it, then you could do a one time +10 or +11 and find it helpful. Make sense?

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

D,
    yes, I think so, but will likely ask later on if a situation arose that would fit an early shot. I'll look at do lou's ss too and see how they look.

18. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 4/21 Oliver amps 365 +1~427 +2~400 +3~365 +6~349 +8~301

The .75R at +6 looks like it may get Oliver down to yellow; here's hoping.

19. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 4/21 Oliver amps 365 +3~365 +6~349 +8~301 +9~320 +10~367

This really sucks; so close, but even with R at ps and +6, still no yellow.
    Oliver is likely to hit red by pmps, so we'll go with more R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.