? 4/23/18/Ravan/7.5 79/+8 129/+10 378/pmps497/+3 360/+6 277/+9 287

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

YAY I see blue on Ravan's ss! :cool:

4. JoyBee&Ravan

@Sharon14
    @judy and Boomer

!Help ! Shot time. What do I do?
    The Guide says to reduce dose if peshot is much lower.

5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

This is exactly the kind of preshot number you want to see. :cool: It will help get Ravan in better numbers overall. If you can muster the courage and monitor today, I say shoot the full regular dose. You test plenty and the guidelines in the guide about shooting these numbers are meant to be a starting point, you’re past the starting point. ;)

6. JoyBee&Ravan

@Stacy & Asia

It was 30 mins past his shot time. I tested again & amps 530!! He only had a teaspoon of raw turkey about 20 mins ago. Bg went up 358 points in 30 mins??

(I couldn't believe the 530 so i checked again & it's accurate, I have a new Relion meter & check again with the new meter.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Reason for edit: add
  7. JoyBee&Ravan

?When I need an answer at shot time is it OK to use the 911?

8. Stacy & Asia

I doubt it, I think one of those readings was wonky. Sometimes if you don’t get enough blood or even too much it can throw it off. Usually we say to test again right away if a number doesn’t make much sense, but in this case, either of those numbers would be possible depending on what he did last night after the 181! :p

Anyway, this frustration you’re experiencing and the numbers keeps staying up after the increases, what will start to change that is getting and shooting lower preshots. So if you actually did get a 172, that’s how you see what a dose can really do and one cycle can build on to the next rather than the whole cycle be spent coming down from a really high number. Just keep it in mind for the next time. It’s scary the first few times since you’ve never done it before, but the idea is “shoot low to stay low”. He should have less fluctuations with lower preshots.

Bellasmom likes this.
  9. JoyBee&Ravan

@Stacy & Asia

I tested with 2 different meters & I just tested again now (10am) bg 540 up even higher

Ravan has been back eating his raw meat .His bg was 181 at 3:45am At about 5am he ate a tabls of raw turkey. It was over 3 hours, prior to shot time ,that he ate anything.

10. Stacy & Asia

Tested which number with 2 meters? It’s great to have a back up meter, but try to always use the same meter when you can as the readings will be more consistent with each other that way.

Sometimes feeding after nadir can put the breaks on a cycle and cause numbers to go up more quickly. I have to feed Asia pretty much every 2-3 hours regardless because she has kidney disease and will vomit if her stomach is empty for too long. If Ravan doesn’t have any conditions where he must eat that late in the cycle, see if you can cut it out or just give a smaller portion or some freeze dried chicken treats instead. I honestly don’t think it was just food that spiked the number that high, there are so many reasons it happens. Likely seeing that blue in the middle of the cycle was weird for him and caused a bounce as well. +1 being higher is also very typical, it’s either a food spike or just that the new shot hasn’t kicked in yet.

Come down now, Ravan, nothing up there for you. :cat:

11. JoyBee&Ravan

@Stacy & Asia

When I got the bg 530 reading I tested a second time with the new meter & the reading was nearly the same When I tested again at 10 am I used the old meter & bg was 542

Ravan went thru a time a few weeks ago when he wouldn't eat I was Syringe feeding him every few hrs. He lost weight. I was told to feed him as much as he wants ,when he wants.

Ravan has always eaten several times a day,small amounts(15 yrs) Before he got diabetes he ate during the day & slept during the night. Since this has all begun he's been getting up every few hours asking for food.

He's eating his raw meat, only about a tabls each time. When I try to feed him less or not at all it does NOT work. Unless I want to be up all night listening to him yowl! (really LOUD)

The last few nights he has had some food at about 3am and again at 5AM which is his normal time to be fed in the morning.He doesn't get his shot till 8:45 to 9am. So it is over 4 hours between eating & shot.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  12. Stacy & Asia

Gotcha! It’s perfectly fine to do that, we have to find what works for our kitties. Asia eats raw too, she gets a tablespoon each time, except 1/2 tablespoon at shot times. +3, +5, +7, +9 in both cycles. It works well for us, so that’s what we do. Before diabetes Asia got fed twice a day, but she was a grazer. She wasted a lot of food too, no more of that now! :joyful:

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry about the bounce today, but Ravan had a really nice long stretch of blue last night. That's really good progress.

I hope you can get out of the house and do something for you. Ravan has given you the permission slip to do so.

14. Sharon14

Looks like Ravan had a nice night last night. Like Wendy said, take this bounce cycle to relax and give Ravan a break from all the pokes!

15. JoyBee&Ravan

@Stacy & Asia
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Sharon14

What is going on with Ravan's bg?? 4:45 pm 79 !! I couldn't believe it was correct I waited 15 mins & tested again bg 129 ( he ate some food after the 79)
    8:45 am 172 9:15 am 530 (checked twice) 12:45 318 I went out shopping thinking he would stay high all day. He might have been even lower before I got home.

Why are the #'s jumping up & down ? From bg 530 this morning to bg 79!

16. Stacy & Asia

Well hey, he's starting to get somewhere! :woot: Sometimes when a bounce clears it can gain some momentum. Hope he doesn't go too high before PMPS. :cool::D

17. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Finally getting somewhere! :D

19. JoyBee&Ravan

20. JoyBee&Ravan

No one has mentioned the Huge drop from 530 am to 79 , 7 hrs later?

With his numbers all over the place it's confusing what to expect!

Just tested (7pm) 378 That's 299 point increase in 2 hrs?

(He had a tablespoon of raw liver at 5pm)

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You're testing enough to do TR so under that protocol you'd stay at the same dose. Under SLGS you'd reduce any time BG goes below 90. I strongly recommend you stick to the 2 u dose because you're finally getting some traction. Don't fixate on the bounce number.

Sharon14 likes this.
  22. Stacy & Asia

Those huge drops can happen, especially when a bounce is clearing. Check out Asia yesterday, +3 413, +6 75.

He is probably on his way up and may bounce from that green. Let’s see where he is for preshot.

23. Stacy & Asia

I also wouldn’t fixate too much on SLGS or TR, let’s get him out of these nasty numbers and in to something workable. If you weren’t monitoring him as closely as you are, it would be a different story.

Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  24. JoyBee&Ravan

Is one of you going to be around in about 1 1/2 hrs?

25. Wendy&Neko

I will try to be around. What time is your PMPS time?

26. JoyBee&Ravan

9pm Central time it's just about 7:30pm now.

27. Wendy&Neko

OK, I will try to peak in around then.

28. JoyBee&Ravan

pmps 497 Should I ignore the nadir of 79 (or lower) & shoot the 2.00 (full dose?)

He dropped from 530 to 79 today How often do I need to test tonight?

Also he is not eating much, maybe 2 tbls of food all day. Usually at this time he eats good before bed I just offered him several different foods & he walked away.

29. Wendy&Neko

I would shoot the 2.0 units and get a +2 or 3 test. There is a chance he will bounce to the moon. If that later test is higher, you can safely sleep,through the night.

If you are worried that he won't eat any more, I would shoot the lower dose instead. Is he otherwise acting OK today? He may feel off from being in numbers lower than he is used to. Even though it was a perfectly safe number.

30. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko

this morning he went from 172 to 530 in 30 mins!How is that even possible? Then he dropped from 530 to 318 in 3 hrs.

I had to shoot by 9pm so I did the full dose I'll be up tonite testing. If he doesn't eat i'll syringe feed him

The main difference in Ravan is not eating. I missed all day getting Ketones tested. I'll keep trying to catch him when he uses the litter box.

31. Wendy&Neko

If he's in better numbers, he won't be as hungry. Should have a more normal cat appetite.

Cats can do some spectacular dives and bounces when they aren't used to lower numbers. Glad you have the option of assist feeding if needed. Not all can do.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  32. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

911 is reserved for life threatening situations only.
    Best to get a +11.5 and then post for help if it looks like you will be faced with a lower than usual PS . That gives folks time to chime in and help.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  33. Sharon14

How did it go last night?

34. JoyBee&Ravan

@Sharon14

Back in the high #'s so far At least there are some yellows.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  35. Sharon14

It too bad, see some yellows in there. How’s his appetite?

36. JoyBee&Ravan

@Sharon14

He's eating good today. I'm hoping bg doesn't go higher than yellow!

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.