? +4 254, +5 236,+6 208, +7 183, +8 174, +9 208,+10 247,+11 291

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Scooter & Jack, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Hi Folks:

Well after a long process of dealing with people I finally have everything I need to start Juniors voyage. Please note he is not on levemir but rather lantus. I have never used lantus before but the Vet thinks it is best for him. I feel mostly confident using it and realize the nadir is different.

So starting weight is 16 pounds or 7.3 kgs.

After reading the sticky notes again and again I believe I am suppose to start at .25/kg. Any dosing advice would be helpful.

Thank you!
    Linda

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

With is weight, rounding it down to 7kg the starting dose would be 1.75u. I'm not sure if there has been any diet changes or other factors that should be taken into consideration. If you prefer to be more conservative 1.5 would be fine too and you could fast track him. This is if you're planning to follow TR. If you plan to follow SLGS and he's on wet food the starting dose is 1u and if he's recently been switched to wet food then the starting dose is .5u. So lots of options.

Hopefully others will chime in. You may want to add Lantus and the protocol you're using to your signature.

3. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Giving you a bump up!

4. Doodles & Karen

Linda, I did not put 2 & 2 together that you are the proud mama bean to the famous Scooter! I realize he's running around the bridge watching over you now :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Thanks Karen. He is still the heart and soul of our house. I just told Jack that Junior only gives blood if I poke his ear low just like Scooter :)

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  6. Doodles & Karen

I'm sure he is. Pretty sue Junior is in great hands and hope you get the 3rd OTJ kitty soon.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Those aren't bad numbers for his first day on insulin. I'm sure you'll work out a routine in no time.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Linda. :bighug: As long as there is no dry food, Junior's starting dose would be 1.75 units. You are an experienced caregiver, so no need to go conservative on dose. The sooner you can get Junior into regulation and seeing normal numbers again, the likelihood of remission increases. Hold the initial dose 5-7 days for the depot to build, unless he tells you the dose is too much. Some kitties have an initial strong reaction the the insulin, so don't worry if you see green, unless it's under 50.

In addition to an earlier nadir, Lantus has an earlier onset, typically between +2 and +3, ECID of course. Paws all crossed here for Junior.

9. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Thanks Wendy that is exactly what I needed to know. I will up his dose tonight from 1.5 to 1.75!
    as always Thank you!:)

10. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Well I did not expect to see blue today so I am pretty happy.
    Junior is such a trouper not complaining one bit about the ear pricks. I did see Jack around him a lot today. Maybe he is giving him advise. :)

Doodles & Karen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.