4/3 Bear Man weekly update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Last Old Timer update: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10373&p=102189#p102189
    Link to question about coughing on Health: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10899&p=107548#p107548

Bear Man developed a cough over the last few days. It has just been one or two sporadic episodes per day, but I was worried going into a long weekend with the vet being closed for three days, so I took him in Thursday night. His heart and lungs sounded normal, temp was normal, and his X-ray looked normal. The vet would like me to videotape it if possible. I guess at this point I will just be monitoring the situation. I wonder if he may have picked up Teddy's upper respiratory infection.

Jojo suggested to me last week that I get an X-ray of the kidneys and bladder to rule out anything obvious causing the blood in his urine. They were X-rayed on Thursday and looked normal. Jojo also suggested something like Cosequin for bladder health, which I am considering. I'm not sure I can buy it here. The vet said she thinks the blood comes from his kidneys, not his bladder, however. We also discussed his increasing back leg weakness, which could be due to neuropathy, renal issues, muscle wasting, or arthritis. So, I am also looking into trying methylcobalamin. I just wonder how much stuff I want to throw at him, and how many more pills he can tolerate.

His BG numbers lately have not been that good. He's vomiting and not eating much today, which accounts for some blues. Also he runs much higher when I go to work.

Yesterday was a very warm sunny day, and Bear got his first visit of the season to the back yard. Not to be melodramatic, but I am always surprised when he makes it to another spring. He used to love being out there, but yesterday he seemed a bit agitated and lost, and went into his circling routine. He did relax in his sunbeam long enough for me to take his photo:

[​IMG]

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Re: 3/3 Bear Man weekly update

That photo melted my heart!
    That cosequin sounds familiar -- I'm wondering if I have some from when Noisy was sick. If I do I'll mail it to you.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad Bear Man got to enjoy a little outdoor time and a little sunbeam. I'm also happy that his bloodwork and xrays look okay. I hope he gets over his cough real soon, and that his back legs get stronger.
    Thanks for the beautiful picture of our Bear Man :D You do such a good job with him Linda :YMHUG:

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I just love the Bear-man pictures! Hope he gets to enjoy more sunshine soon.

5. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

WOW! You are not alone in saying that. I am shocked each spring as well. And as the weather just barely starts turning nice, Im shooing her outside asap, just in case! It is a wonderful thing to see them get out there and sniff that fresh air for the first time after a long winter and working so hard to stay well. Much deserved, and often times obviously appreciated.

((((((((((((Linda)))))))))))
    (((((((((((BearMan))))))))))

To many more days enjoying the fresh air together!

PS- an u/s is always a good thing to have so you can see what the kidneys look like. Latte's u/s last year revealed she has only one functioning kidney. did not know that before! it also showed some interesting information related to the metacam and the damage it did.

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

So nice to read Bear man's report today...and happy that he relaxed in the sun yesterday!
    We have his bar stool ready and waiting for him for the decorating party tonight and the egg hunt tomorrow. It would thrill Shadow & Raja if he could come to both....hope you guys have a nice weekend. Reports are good....wondering about that cough though....but I have been coughing lately myself for unk reasons. I hope he can stop that soon. It's upsetting, right? HUGS to you all! :YMHUG:

7. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

wonderful photo of bear man. loved it - so much like my guy.

for what it was worth - I have used cosequin before, in conjunction with arthritis, and had no ill effects from it's use - then again, that kitty did not have other health issues at the time, and seemed to help with his mobility. someone here mentioned metacam - only thing i can say about that is stay away from it - damaging drug, and I swear it was the cause of the passing of my cat, and I will never touch the product again.

Hope Bear Man is doing well as can be - it is so great that he was able to get out in the sunshine yesterday. ((((bear man)))) ((((linda)))) + positive thoughts from Michelle and Mannie

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I do think Boo is feeling better, although I don't know if it's the calcitriol or springtime. The only number that dropped was her BUN, so maybe that's making her feel better. I honestly don't even know what calcitriol is supposed to do or what values it should affect. CF will need to be your expert on that, and I'll just read what she writes and try to learn as well.

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

bear looks like he's enjoying his first venture into the backyard this year! :D
    linda, if there's anything you're not able to get there, i'd be more than happy to send it to you...

10. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who posted information and support. Jill and Diahann, thank you so much for the offers to send me supplies. I appreciate it so much.

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Beautiful shot of your Bear Man. I hope you can get some of those supplements locally. KB takes Dasequin and Methyl B12, as well as a Chinese herbal tea pill that's supposed to help rebuild muscle. I think they're helping.

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

((Linda))
    You take such amazing pictures of Bear Man but then again, what a beauty he is.
    I love seeing his pictures.
    I am so glad he got to spend some time in the sunshine and his xrays went well.
    I hope his cough goes away very quickly and he continues to do well.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't think you can get Cosequin in Canada. (I did a quick Amazon.ca search and the capsules don't come up as being available. It's readily available in the US as an over the counter med. It may be that your vet would need to get it (or have someone here send it. It's easily mixed into food.

Bear looks so good in his yard. Hopefully, once he spends a little more time out there he'll acclimate.

14. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Linda and Bear)))

I love the picture of that sweet Bear.
    You know you can add me to the list of suppliers if you need anything. :YMHUG:

15. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

That Bear Man is such a gorgeous guy; the picture of him in the yard is lovely.
    it must have been a relief to have the xrays normal and that no other issues were found.
    I hope his cough improves.

16. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

What a beautiful photo! He melts my heart.

Here's to many more relaxing and enjoyable sunshine basking times for your beautiful boy.

(((Linda and Bear Man)))

17. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

(((((Linda and Bear Man)))))

Thanks for sharing the picture with us. It was a beautiful sight to see Bear Man outside.

18. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Bear Man looks so young & Beautiful!!! Moonie has leg issues & has been on methyl B12 & Cosequin--The next generation of cosequin, is Dasuquin, which also besides helping the joints, improves bladder health--On amazon.com- -Both made by Nutramax
    !We were just at the vet's for this very issue!!
    Go on amazon.com that's where I get the cosequin, will be replacing with dasuquin(I feel Moonie needs this next strength), and methyl B12 I got off vitacost.com (nsi is the company) No taste & available in 5 mg, many give just 3 mg--It"s excess is excreted in the urine--
    Hope this helps--Sending good health vines to your babies & Hugs from all of US~!!

19. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

i love the picture of Bear Man in the yard.
    Thanks Linda,for visit our condo and for good wishes.
    maybe I don't post much ,but i do lurk and wish quiet in my heart for good health for Teddy and Bear and also
    stregth for You that You can deal with all this issues.

20. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Linda and Bear Man, loooovvveeee his pic! Sending you hugs, hope he feels better soon!!!!!!

21. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

every time I see a new picture of Bear, I fall more in love. I don't have anything to add about the meds but it sounds like you have several people willing to help you find what you can't find there.

22. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Wanting to say Hello to you and Bear man LOVE his pic :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

23. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Awwww :) does he enjoy his outdoor excursions? meowzi always seems to perk up after.

Cosequin or Dasuquin, try this link. There are e-mail addresses and phone numbers for six distributors in Canada, and it looks like both Cosequin and Dasuquin are available (and also Denamarin and Denosyl). It will help with arthritis too - I would prefer Dasuquin. I think both help protect the bladder lining; Jojo would know. Also, did she mean Cosequin specifically, or any glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate product? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19046494

Methylcobalamin - there is injectable form, Mr. Kitts (GA) had a thread on it. I can try to find link if you're interested.

We started her on calcitriol very early on, so I can't say I've observed any change in the way she feels that I can attribute directly to calcitriol. She's a very stoic kitty. And I truly believe her CKD was chemo-induced; it seems to have progressed quicker than the typical CKD timeline I seem to see on the Yahoo list (caveat: ECID), so it's hard to say if calcitriol has helped slow the progression - would it have progressed even faster without? or not? We'll never know. But we didn't have a choice - labs showed renal secondary hyperparathyroidism, to Dr S's surprise - and he readily prescribed it once he saw the test result. I personally believe calcitriol is the only reliable therapy when there's renal secondary hyperparathyroidism. Some detractors of calcitriol therapy seem to say dietary phosphate restriction should suffice, but Meowzi's phos level was well within normal range (5.3) last month, and yet PTH was elevated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.