4/3 Prudence

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Michelle & Prudence, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi All:

I just wanted to give an update on Prudence. It's been an interesting 30 plus hours. Prudence's last shot was yesterday morning 6:30am. She seem to be holding pretty good, but I had to give her insulin at BG#166. Part of me wonders if the 166 is just her body doing its thing :? , but I do not want to NOT give her insulin if she needs it. I will see how today goes, but I am hoping that this is the first sign of remission. I've also switched her food to Sophisticat from Janet & Binky's page. I've been giving her the Country Style or Liver & Chicken. I still give Friskies or the Beef FF to my other kitties, but Pru seems to like the mushiness of Sophisticat. Will keep you all posted.

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter!

2. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Excellent job! How are you feeling?

3. Michelle & Prudence

Thanks Donna! I am trying to stop my eye from twitching! Is this what happens when you have too much coffee and not enough sleep? As much as I want 10 hours of straight sleep... I also want a vodka tonic ;-)

How are you and Buddha?

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Great job! :) Hope Prudence keeps up the good numbers and hope you get some sleep/vodka soon. ;)

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Awesome!!! My eye always twitches too if I don't get enough sleep. I would think you could probably try BID with these kind of #s, but I don't want to mess with a good thing! You are obviously making great progress... can you come over & fix my cat next week? :mrgreen:

6. Michelle & Prudence

Thank you for all the support you've given me. These past 4 to 5 weeks have been emotional and challenging. Once I get some sleep - I'd like to kind of break down how I was able to get to this point, but I do not want to jump ahead of the game... not just yet, haha I am hoping that I will be able to help other folks with their situations too.

Joanna - I saw on Bix's SS the +7 bg 183. One thing that I've noticed with Pru - she has been in the upper blues at +7 before, but she then starts to drop down. That's why I had mention in my above post about not knowing if her 166 was just her body doing its "thang" or if she needed more insulin? I went with the insulin cause it had been 30 hours since her last shot, but if you look at Pru's 10:30pm last night at +2 she was at 142. I also keep another SS for myself where I track if its kind of like a 12/12 SS, so looking at Pru's numbers yesterday all day... that +2 142 was really +6 using a 12/12, but it went down to bg 78, so I am glad I didn't shoot. Wow, I hope that made sense.

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Sometimes Bix gets a late drop, I think maybe that's what you mean? With him, if his nadir is even with or just below the PS, sometimes then by around +10 or so the #s will drop quite a bit. With him it generally means I overshot, then if I reduce the dose a hair I will get a nice nadir on that dose. Unfortunately these past couple days that hasn't been the case - not much dropping at all, so I'm undershooting I think, or there is something wacky going on with him. I need a new insulin vial, so it will probably be a trip to the vets this week regardless.

Back when Bixie's pancreas was kicking in sometimes I would get extended lower #s that varied a little up and down, you could be seeing that too with Pru. Sometimes I have seen peeps with a kitty who looks to be going off the juice raise their no-shoot to 180 or 200, and when they get a slightly higher #, like 140 or 150, they will feed a small meal to trigger pancreas action and see if that brings the #s down. Though Bix has passed the food test before, he generally won't bring his #s back into non-diabetic ones on his own. Prudence might though. Sometime if you feel like holding off on a shot, you could do a food test if you haven't already - feed her and then test a couple hours later and see if she brought the # down on her own. If not, you could always shoot at that point. Some people have found that when they go OTJ the #s are in the low 100s some off and on for a few days, then start coming down further on their own.

You lost me on the +2/+6 stuff - it's always the # hours since the last shot, except perhaps if you have a small bolus (?) dose or something, then I suppose it could be +6 since the last "normal" shot, but +2 since the booster shot (which generally isn't done with PZI anyhow). Depending on when you get onset I would expect +2 to potentially be higher than the PS, so you wouldn't want to shoot then regardless of the #. Now I will go look at her SS and figure out what you meant. :) [ETA: looks like you are counting hours from the TID times, regardless of whether or not you gave insulin, so never mind. :) That'll confuse people though if you refer to it that way. I didn't see the 142 on the SS, but I'm thinking if I read things right that it was around +18 maybe?]

With Bix, I'm suspecting either there's something going on - infection or whatever - or my insulin is bad. It's the end of the vial, so we'll see in a few days I guess. He's just not responding to the insulin the way he was for a while.

8. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

wow you two lost me, but I have to say, you are a better bean than I... I really tried the 3x/day and it started going better, but when DH returned from his 3 week trip, I just couldn't keep up the crazy hours, and Cody seems to need shots at +10, instead of +8, which put shot times in the middle of the night all the time. well now that I'm back to +12/12 he seems worse than before on 12/12

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I'm really impressed too :) I didn't last more than a few days on TID, it really did me in. It's awesome to see your hard work really pay off, with Prudence doing so well.

10. Michelle & Prudence

Oh Nancy, you're a great bean! We're all doing the best we can with what we can work with. TID is such a challenge. I think if anyone tries TID... the key is to make sure you can commit to the crazy hours. It's all about timing and finding those pinks & yellows to shoot. Sometimes it means shooting at +7 etc. Having to face those scary moments when you shoot and think... OMG, did I just shoot :eek: then wait it out to make sure sugarkitty doesn't do hypo nailbite_smile I've had a few of those nights! Just try to be consistent with your dosages. Jumping around a lot will keep a sugarkitty on a rollercoaster. On Cody 04/03/10 #2 11units looked good - If you were still TID +8 would of been a good time to shoot, but I understand why you went back to 12/12. Lets see how tonight goes at 12units.

Sending you good vibes & <<<<<hugs>>>>>

11. Michelle & Prudence

Thank you Joanna. I was actually trying to do up a SS for Bix b/c I don't really understand your SS. I am trying to understand on 4/3, did you shoot at +11 and +12? I am curious why you would give 1.6 on ps 175. Maybe I'm reading this wrong... help me understand, ok?

12. Joanna & Bix (GA)

My SS is the one I guess they used to use on PZI before the 12/12 SS got popular and became the template for newbies. As I understand it (I had the 12/12 one when I arrived, and no one could understand it when I went TID & stuff, so that's how I got this one...), the 12/12 one was developed for Lantus mostly where you stay with a straight 12/12. So I guess mine is "old school", though I wasn't here back in the old days. :)

The +n is always the time since the last shot, so on 4/3 my morning shot was +11 since the night before, and then +12 was the evening shot after that. If I had shot like I think you mean, it would have been a +11 shot followed by a +1 shot.

I shot 1.6 b/c he isn't responding to the lower doses. I probably wouldn't advise someone else to do it that way though. The thing with him is that he doesn't zoom at all now, so it's a different beast than most people where you are shooting into a rising # and trying to head off zoom. With those, you can tell to some extent when you have overlap (one reason to hold a dose for a few cycles), and then you may get in a place of seeing a dramatically better drop once overlap has built up and the zoom is more under control. Since he's not zooming though, he's already got what looks like overlap in the #s (though it's not really the same thing), so I've kind of thrown some of those principles out the window at this point in judging his dose (whether or not I'm right is another question nailbite_smile but that's what I'm doing!).

With him if I overshoot he will either eat like crazy to offset it, or I will see a late drop where the nadir stays high, but then by +10 or so the #s go down. Haven't seen the slightest sign of that lately, so I think I'm undershooting. Roughly I am operating right now on the theory that my insulin vial has pooped out so I'm just trying to do who knows what for a couple days til the new one arrives, and then I'll drop the dose down just in case it's going to work a lot better....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.