4/3 Tugger PMPS 84 +2 53 +3 68 +4 66 +10 68

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marvie and Tugger, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Happy Caturday LL! Yesterday's Condo:http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10872&p=108224#p108224

I got good sleep last night I guess, bc I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning before 6am. On Caturday. No clue. Would have been a great day to sleep in a lil bit, but I was awake.

A good thing because kitties hated dinner last night so it sat uneaten. Needless to say they were STARVING when I got up. I had a bit of time before +10 pickup so I gave them a snack to tide them over till real breffis. They mowed through it fast. I only put out two cans of FF for the five of them, so it was literally a snack. They're now mowing real breffis.

Kind of hoping Tugger asks for another doscrease today, but then again, I dunno.

Tomorrow is the day we'll be gone all day. From +2 till PM shot. I'm a bit worried that he'll drop tomorrow. I know it's impossible to predict with any cat, and especially Tugger these days, but I'm half considering giving a slightly reduced dose tomorrow morning, depending on how today and tonight go.

The PS will be here two times at least and she will check his BG but I'm not 100% confident that she'll be successful on her own. She mentioned possibly bringing her housemate with her, he's a vet tech, but I don't know if this guy has ever used a home meter to test a cat's ear. And after Tugger's vet used a huge needle and opened a vein to get blood in the office that day.... I don't want a tech doin' that to him and I presume the techs learn how to check from vets... do all vets open a freakin' vein or is mine just stoopid? (ok I know he's probably not stoopid but I'm not feeling very nice about him these days)

Tugger doesn't really show signs when he's going low. Other than hunger, but he's always hungry. Or so he'd have you believe. Maybe he gets lazy, but again, he's always kind of lazy. He doesn't do anything that would be super obvious to someone who doesn't know him super well though. Which is one of the reasons I'm considering a reduced dose. If she can't get a successful test, she will have no way of knowing if he's going low.

I guess I could just leave out a higher carb food than usual for her to feed, would that be better than a lower dose? Just let him regulate himself for the day and trust him not to let himself get too low? Or do I just give in to the worry and call the IL's and cancel? The kid seems to be kind of looking forward to it though, and it's hard to get an almost 16 yr old boy interested in anything that doesn't involve 16 year old girls yanno?

So what do you think? What would you do or recommend?

2. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/3 Tugger AMPS 96

Morning Marvie and Tugger!!!! I am no expert or advice giver, just as new to this as you are but my inclination would be to give a reduced dose. I hate being away from home for long periods now but thank God my DH is off of work right now because it has made my life so much easier! I think Tugger and Scrabble are in a race! I can't believe I only shot a .5 this morning, so exciting!!! Hope your caturday is good and I am sure someone will come by and offer you some advice. BTW I think Scrab and Tugger were partying last night because he is sound asleep right now, LOL, thanks for the party!!!!

3. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I noticed on SS that you are shooting 1.25u last two cycles -- I thought it was 1.5u. I'm partially asleep but wanted to see about that.
    With Tugger, I wouldn't worry about him going too low, he's a kitty I'd feel safe with walking out the door worry free. TUGGER DO NOT READ THIS.

4. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Nice start to Tugger's and your morning Marvie!

I really don't have any suggestions in regards to tomorrow...Less insulin or higher carb foods. I guess if you leave out the food, the question would be, would Tugger feed himself if he goes low or will he be getting the food (with the other kitties around to eat also). That's what I always used to worry about since my civvie Ralph is the Hoover of the family and I wasn't sure that Spot would get the food.

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning....what beautiful AMPS you have Tugger!!! I would leave out lots of food for him tomorrow regardless of what you choose to shoot...see what others think about the doseage...hope you have a good day today.. You will be around to monitor him today, right? See what today brings....these AMPS are a nice starting point, right?

6. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Great AMPS Tugger!

I've always been advised to see what the day brings before even thinking about the possibility of doing something different. As a planner and worrier, I hate that advice but it usually works. :lol: We are talking about kitties and since they have a mind of their own and like to throw surprises when it works for them (not us), ya never know what the day brings or tomorrow's AMPS brings!

Keep up the good work today Tugger!!!

7. Marvie and Tugger

D, sorry about that... yes I am shooting 1.5 I don't know why I entered 1.25 ohmygod_smile I corrected it. Thanks for pointing it out, because I'd have kept shooting 1.5 and typing 1.25 till the end of time probably.

You know Tugger's going to read that. I'm closing my laptop every time I walk away from it today... maybe he won't see it.

If I leave out a lot of food, he'll get plenty. PS will put out more both times she comes too. Tugger is the eater... he'll push the others off to get to the dishes. He must test each floor dish before deciding which one is best. They all give way without arguing too.

I leave food on the counter for the civvies that Tug can't get to, so that also will help. They'll eat that first usually because I put higher carb food there than in the floor dishes. I'm considering leaving a dish on the shower seat too, Tug can't get there but the skinnier ones can.

Gah, I worry when I leave him alone for two or three hours... I guess it's logical that I'm going to worry myself to death about leaving him for ten or twelve hours. What will I do next month when I have to leave him for three whole days and nights? Crap. I'm not looking forward to that at all. He'll def. be getting a lowered dose for those three days/nights. There won't be anyone here to check him overnight then. But I've got plenty of time to stress over that one later ;)

8. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Marvie, I so understand what you are feeling, even after being here so long, I time my life by Moonie's testing schedule. and when I have to go out for long perods of time, well...worry city!!
    BUT>>>There are ways to prevent worrying--you can keep Tugger in a different room with food out, just for him, or use a timed feeder...
    You can shoot a slightly reduced dose, but you also have someone come to check so I'm sure he'll be fine!! And a DPS too!! Cool!! :D
    Shooting a reduced dose may change his numbers somewhat, but you will worry less..
    Soon I will be working on the weekends 10-12 hrs at a time, & thank God for the timed feeder..I'll still worry, but Moonie will eat if she feels herself going low...I've watched her(stalker :lol: :lol: )

And yes all the vets use the leg vein to take blood sugar!! Our way is so much neater & hurts less, but that is the more accurate, they say!!
    Not to worry, whatever you do, I'm sure Tugger will be just fine--Happy Caturday!--Great Job Marvie!!

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Great amps do not know if you have a timed feeder or if it would even work with your cat situation but the pet safe one I just bought recently works well

10. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

OK, good -- it was the bean sneakdown not the cat.

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the timed feeders, too. KB sleeps near his a good bit.

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Marvie, Don't worry about your Tugger. He sounds like he can take care of himself. Our vet uses the leg vein, too (and shaves a spot on Stu's leg first; Stu HATES it!) Stu enjoyed Tugger's party yesterday. Will Tugger be at the Easter egg hunt tomorrow?

Ella & Stu

13. Marvie and Tugger

Oh no, he didn't use the leg vein. He used a huge needle in my baby's EAR. bigger than the needle for his injection. I could see that spot for weeks after. It's part of why I didn't *want* to home test. When I finally had time to really look it up here and watched the videos and saw the awesome pictures of the lit ear I realized how very wrong the vet had been. That's probably when I lost confidence in him. Now there are no bruises that hang out for weeks on end and his ear doesn't hurt because I learned the proper way to do it.

I don't know that a timed feeder would work out for us... with five of them? I could isolate him for the day, it isn't supposed to get too hot or anything (we don't have central air or heat right now) but he's not used to being alone so there's a chance that could be stressful. Tugger is the biggest eater of them all, so I'm pretty sure if I leave out slightly more food than usual there will be food left when she comes each time even with all eating communally. There are few flavors they will gobble up the moment it's put down so I save those for times they're more needed.

Tugger will feed his lows too, I've watched him get up and head for the food out of the blue, gone to test him just for curiosity and numbers confirm it. Or times when he seems more hungry than usual and I have to keep putting food out to stop his incessant begging. But those are 60's and 70's. Often by the time I catch him in the 40's, he's been sleeping for a couple of hours. heh, too bad I don't have a kitty-cam on the food bowls that I could live stream lol. At least then I'd know he was eating :lol:

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/3 Tugger AMPS 96 +2 78

If you are concerned about Tugger, it's completely reasonable to have the DPS shoot a reduced amount. You can also set a "no shoot" number providing they are testing. You could potentially drop the dose to 1.25 or even 1.0u for the one cycle. If you want input, put something in your subject line tonight.

Great numbers for Tugger. But then it's usually great numbers for Tugger.

15. Marvie and Tugger

Tugger is a hungry boy today. He's on his third snack of the day.

16. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful amps for Tugger. Boy, do I understand your concerns about leaving him, Marvie.

17. Marvie and Tugger

I'd think I'd feel a lot better if I woke up to blues tomorrow. Really.

18. Marvie and Tugger

Re: 4/3 Tugger PMPS 84

Bit late posting but shot on time. I just got busy getting laundry together and trying to get stuff ready for tomorrow.

I forgot to write down the two spot checks I did today but they were both in the 80's at +7 and +10 I just can't remember exactly and don't have time right now to figure out how to use the memory on the meter. He had a really good number day though.

I'm wondering if Tugger isn't going to ask for a smaller dose tomorrow morning on his own tonight. He's been hinting at it all day. We'll see what tonight brings.

I think for tomorrow I've decided to leave a selection of foods with various carb contents that she can feed as needed depending on numbers and how long it will be between her visits. Along with instructions to feed a bit more than I usually do just to be sure they don't run out. I printed out the hypo info and stuck it on the fridge. there's also a copy in the notebook and my personal instructions printed out that I'll tape to the cabinet door above the food prep spot. We'll see how tonight goes and I guess go from there.

Oh, and I'm going to leave my laptop open with Tug's SS open and his Daily Condo here so if she has any problems and can't reach me (I don't know what my cell service will be like out there on the island?) she'll have access to y'all for advice.

19. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/3 Tugger PMPS 84

Marvie
    I think you have a good plan in place.
    You know what I went through yesterday and there was Max looking at me like I was
    nuts when I got home.
    We will send lots of good thoughts to Tugger tomorrow to make sure he eats if
    he feels low and we will check in on him.
    Have a great day tomorrow and don't worry. :lol: :lol: As if!!!

20. Marvie and Tugger

Re: 4/3 Tugger PMPS 84 +2 53 +3 68

I think he went and ate after +2, I was in the shower so not positive but I gave him freeze dried chicken crack after his test and jumped right in the shower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.