4/30 Buddha

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna & Buddha, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Just under 400 for amps at +11. So shot 1.3u an hour early to get us back on track. Just checked about 15 minutes shy of +7. I still haven't got the hang of the ReliOn Ultima--sipped some blood but not enough, sipped a little more, looked good, but still no beep, so 3rd poke and sip, voila! 32. What?!? So I pulled out the expired strips (that's all I have til, cross fingers, tomorrow) for the Contour and 117. So a snack for the kitty. And maybe a cold wash cloth for my forehead.

Ok. So what IS the deal with low numbers, and I'm sure everyone agrees 30s are too low. But what about 40s? I thought I've read elsewhere than PZI land that 40s are NOT really awful, that's why they are in the green, and that 50s and 60s are great. My risk tolerance would be much happier with 80s or 90s but that is almost never what my cat and my meter tell me. (Can I program the meter to give me 90 no matter what and lead a happier, less stressful life?)

And, does anyone else use an Ultima? If it doesn't beep with the first sip, should I pull it out and start with a fresh strip? Or is it ok to keep adding blood as long as the screen still blinking?

2. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

We use an Ultima and if it's still sucking blood up then I'd say it's ok. When DD helps me, she sometimes double dips and it seems to give a fine reading. If it beeps or does the error or shuts off (which drives me crazy), then no dice.

Ari never had problems in the 40's but 30's screwed with my sanity (although she acted fine.) I figured anything above 50 was fine, but below I started lowering the dose.

3. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

Still impossible to say IMO whether Buddha doesn't 'like' your current insulin or those are rebound numbers in there. It would appear that you may be over shooting, but that is only a guess without a good curve (with checks every 2 or 3 hours and no possible rebound numbers from previous lows). Obviously Buddha could have been even lower than the 42 since he wasn't tested previous to that which could account for the rebound.

Did you get your strips in yet?

Are you checking for ketones?

If it were my cat and ketones were NOT much of a factor - I would stick to low doses around what you are shooting now, (or less if conditions called for it) to let him stabilize a few cycles - and then do that curve. Then you will have a much better idea of what is happening as far as overshooting, rebound, or possibly an incorrect insulin type.

50 is my 'low' w/o having to worry about rebound and to a lesser extent hypo, but that's me (and Blue Cat).

Good luck!

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I read the instructions with the Ultima strips. It's OK to add a second blood drop within 5 seconds. Doubt my double dipping have been within that time frame. Buddha has been losing patience with testing lately.

Steve--the Ultima is my backup meter. It's been hanging out in the closet for a couple of months. Just opened the box yesterday. I think I prefer my Contour. Expect to get fresh Contour strips in the mail Saturday or Monday.

Ketones were negative this morning.

It's never crossed my mind that the best dose might be under 1u. Until now.

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that in the last month we've had a lot of ProZinc cats all of a sudden need really small doses?

It seems to always be happening at a rapid pace as well. I've been watching quite a few SS's and I'm starting to think there's a trend there (although I haven't been able to see any pattern to the trend). I've been looking to gather the data of how long each cat was on Prozinc before it seemed to happen, but length of time on Prozinc doesn't seem to be the issue. The only pattern I'm seeing is that for the cats who are experiencing it, it seems to happen in about a week to a week and a half period and the dose reduction seems to be significant.

6. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Donna and Buddha! Sounds like you are having an interesting time of it; 400 and then 32! Quite a big drop, even if the 32 was 117, as the Contour suggested. I can't speak to the cause of that as I know nothing about ProZinc, other than to say that the percentage of drop would suggest to me that perhaps the dose is too large.

As far as low #s, have you tested any civies (if you have any) with both meters? That can reassure you of what a "normal" cat range would be with that particular meter. I tested both of my civies and Buzz's brother was 50, and the other civie was 41. Those readings have helped me not to panic when I see a 40 from Buzz, although of course a cat on no insulin with a 40 is a different story than one who is on insulin and gets a 40.

7. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

Good to see some green without much chance of Symogyi! That "117 or 32" still has me guessing at what is happening, however. @-)

It appears that if there were any rebound from that they should be should be gone for the immediate upcoming cycles. You should have a real good idea on how to proceed soon - as long as you can get plenty of tests in and can keep the dosing consistent. Please keep checking for Ketones just in case!

Just peaked at your PMPS number. Fairly symmetrical curve today - interesting to say the least. KUTGW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.