4/4 Kitty AMPS 75 on first decreased dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11002

Reduced him from .35 to .25 last night. Did he draw on his shed to get a 75 this morning?

I almost think he went low in the night. Although he didn't eat every bite I left out for him, he came upstairs twice in the middle of the night, which he almost never does.

Maybe he just wanted to get out on the porch to dance in the moonlight. :D

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

very nice, looks like Kitty is going to be ok on this dose (anti-jinx).

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

oh .... VERA NICE!!!

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Kathy , nice numbers for the new dose no matter what you call it.

You were asking about how I do the different micro doses. I'm not an expert, but this is what I took away from the pix in the "New to Lantus" sticky. The important thing is to be consistant in how you draw the dose, not what you call it. Also I use Monoject syringes so they would look a little different.
    • 〮For .25u, I could definitely see light between the plunger and the 0 line
      〮For .1u, just barely a hint of light
      〮For what I was calling 1 or 2 drops, the plunger lined up w/ the 0 line top and bottom, the plunger on the Monoject is exactly the same thickness as the line. I can squeeze 2 small drops or maybe 1 big one at this point.

I practiced with an old syringe and colored water. Another tip I read for the micro doses said to draw up the actual insulin (since the syringes can vary, and you don't want to contaminate a new one w/ anything else) to a known draw point, say .5u. Carefully squeeze out drop by drop, counting the drops. Draw to that same point again and squeeze out drops until you have the number of drops you want left in the syringe. Do this every time, you waste a little insulin, but we seldom use them down to the end anyway.

Also if your eyes are as old as mine and as tired from the late night sessions, get a good magnifier! I shine a strong light on the barrel with a white tissue behind it, the plunger and lines show up better. But, I keep the needle up above the white so the drops I squeeze out show up better against a dark background.

5. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

I just love green Kitty! :mrgreen:

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm with Helene. And Kitty is very green!

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Kitty is looking great !!!

Very good ideas Anne.

8. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Kathy-

i saw your post in Ann's condo but replying here so you'll see.

I think it's really semantics. I think my .25 may not have been, same with the .1...and so on. YOU know what you were doing before, you have to shave some from that equal to your intention. Not only are all the different brands of syringes different, but even within the same package they can be different.
    I found some where the plunger might go slighlty PAST the bottom line in one syringe, not the next. I'd gauge accordingly.

A couple good tips i saw mentioned recently for microdosing & measuring:

here's a link to a thread with some great suggestions:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10718&p=105537&hilit= plunger#p105537
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1500&p=12666&hilit=plunger german's#p12666
    Monique's method is similar to what I think MJ mentioned also.

'She said that when injecting the needle in the kitty, to make sure to press the syringe and continue holding the plunger as you remove the syringe from the kitty. Because on a tiny dose if you relax your thumb or finger the plunger retracts just a bit from the rubber and could siphon the drop of insulin right back. If the dose is larger that tiny retraction is meaningless, but if all the dose is a drop.. well that could make a difference. '

What a great number today. Lovin' those 70's!
    Ya'll are getting so close! (antijinx) Now you have to deal with this crazy part. Prepare for ongoing uncertainty.

betty

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the decrease.
    Kitty is just beautiful in all that green.
    Almost there!!!!!

11. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 4/4 Kitty AMPS 75, +6 80

Thank you, everyone, for the encouragement, and especially for the instructions.

For many months, I avoided reading the posts of those who were approaching a trial -- didn't want to get my hopes up. Now, I realize there is a lot to know!

I am certain by these descriptions that we are at .25 now, and the next stop is a clear .1. I'll test with insulin to see how many drops are involved.

What nobody seems to mention is:

HOW BIG IS A DROP? confused_cat I'd love to see pictures of what size the drop should be. :D

p.s. Betty, I see that a LOT with the BD syringes. Sometimes the plunger goes well beyond zero, sometimes not. VERY inconsistent. I'm prepared to paw through the syringes to find consistent ones now.

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Kathy
    I have to say I was nervous when I hit the .25 and started calling it 3 drops.
    I practiced with some old lantus I never threw out. I was worried that the conistency of
    water was not the same as Lantus. (I am a bit neurotic)
    I use the Monoject syringes, measured to what I was shooting at .5 then counted the drops
    out to zero. Of course I had to eyeball the size of the drops.
    Try and be consistent, if that helps at all.

13. Kathy and Kitty

Randi, great suggestion, thank you!

I haven't thrown out March's vial of Lantus (I'm a little neurotic myself! :lol: ). I'll use that to practice measuring. I wouldn't want to rely on water to be the same consistency.

My compulsive self and I are aware of three sizes of drops: Large is big enough to slide down the syringe. Small is not. Medium kind of thinks about it before sliding.

SOOO scientific! :lol:

14. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 4/4 Kitty PMPS 76

:mrgreen:

All of a sudden, Mr. Green is back! And we like it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tomorrow, we try a can of Cowboy Cookout. Hope he likes it! My supply of old-label FF is dwindling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.