4/7 Max amps 75, +4=48--dosecrease tonight!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mindy & Max, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11215

I posted what the vet said yesterday, but it was near the end of the afternoon, so I'll post it again:

I don't think he's ready to go OTJ yet, but don't know when I should reduce his dose to .25. I have no idea why his pmps was so high yesterday--I can only guess that he dropped too low and rebounded, but no one was home, so I don't know. Since he dropped down to 51 later in the evening...should we try a dose reduction now? I know that technically isn't "under 50", but it's pretty darn close. DH is home today to watch him, but I suspect he'll drop into the 50s again if he doesn't go below it.

I'm going to be out of town Friday through Sunday, and I'm a little nervous about leaving Max. DH is a good helper, but he doesn't know enough (nor will he pay enough attention) to make decisions about Max's dosing on his own. I also don't think he's going to remember to test him very often. If I weren't the one throwing my sister in law's baby shower, I would cancel and stay home...but I don't have that option.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/7 Max amps 75--need dose advice

Based on a week of numbers that are, overall, <100, you can reduce to 0.25u. However, if numbers start trending upward, return to your previous dose. Your vet is probably not used to having people measure micro doses which is probably why she suggested stopping after 0.5u.

I would not say that Max is in remission. He still needs insulin. He is regulated.

3. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Thanks Sienne. I also wouldn't say he's in remission yet. For me, that term isn't in effect until his OTJ trial is over and successful. And to be honest, I don't think my vet knows anyone that's actually done home testing on their diabetic cat. She seems to know something about treating diabetes in cats, but doesn't have much actual experience with it (hence the consultation with the other vet).

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd suggest giving negotiating with DH around schedule of when you want Max tested and ask him to text you with the results. Several of the members here will give DH access to the Board, which is also an option, if he runs into difficulty and doesn't know what to do.

5. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Good morning Mindy and Max! Max is looking good...I'm sure the vet was impressed!

So, looks like Mr. Max got himself a dose crease!! Yea!! way to go....another step towards....well, you know, won't say it tho, don't want to jinx anything!

Have a happy day guys!

6. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Thanks Deb!

And the funny thing about being out of town this weekend is that I'll be at my brother's house, with internet access. But with being the party hostess, I can't really spend a whole lot of time on the board. I do have Caryl's (of Caryl & Alex) and Hillary's (of Hillary & Maui) phone numbers in case I need help. I'm sure one of them will post for me if we get into trouble and I can't post myself. We don't have internet at home for DH to be able to get on the board and ask questions.

My hope is that if we start the dosecrease before I leave, that Max's numbers will behave and not drop too low while I'm gone (and likewise I hope they don't start rising!). I will write down instructions for what to feed Max at what numbers so DH doesn't get confused (he's already demonstrated that he only half-listens when I tell him verbally).

7. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Well I guess I didn't need to worry about whether or not he'd officially earned is dosecrease...because he just did. DH caught him at 48, so we gave him some HC, and he'll retest in a half hour.

Lucky DH--he'll get to figure out how to measure a .25u without me as I won't be home at shot time tonight! :lol:

8. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Yo Max! Awesome news on the decrease! Try to stay steady while your beanmom goes away, no sense in stressing her out man, just hang out and enjoy your new dose!
    ~Tugger

9. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay Max, way to go getting your dosecrease! I keep hoping Scrabble is going to throw me a below 50 #! I agree that Scrabble and Max must be chatting with eachother, it makes me happy to see that after he threw you a higher ps # then he threw you a 48!!! Hope you have a great weekend! Isn't it nice to have our DH's to help???
    :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on the decrease tonight Mindy.
    Your Max is on his way!!!!!!
    Will DH be giving the shot tonight. Here is a link for the smaller doses.
    When I was giving .25 I measeured to the .5, counted the amount of srops unyil empty - trying to keep the drop size the same, and divided it in half.
    I mostly took out 2 drops from the .5 marking.

http://romlin.com/jock/SyringeFineGradations/

11. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

It IS nice to have DH's to help! Last week was just awful without having someone who could check him during the day. This week is only a little easier tho--DH really doesn't like testing him, and I have to bug him to do it. He said when he did the second test today it was like all h*ll broke loose at our house--the baby rolled himself from the living room all the way to the dining room, DD was having a melt down because she was getting hungry, the water softener guy showed up with the salt, the dog went beserk, it literally was insane for a few minutes. :lol:

Thanks for the link Randi! I'll let DH wing it tonight--I think it'll be fine if he even just makes it a skinny .5 shot. Then after I get home I'll play with a syringe and do the drop thing. The syringes I have are good for twisting and letting out drops without them shooting everywhere...I just wasn't prepared to have DH be the first one to do this dose! :mrgreen:

12. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the dosecrease! I'm pretty sure Tess will be getting a drop less this evening too. Measuring what you know and squeezin out a drop or two is the easiest way to do it.

13. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Congrats on the dosecrease flip_cat

14. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Congrats =)

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.