4/8 Silver Update NEW. PMPS 207

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Higher carb food and dry food will likely increase his numbers, however, you can dose around that. Higher numbers just means more insulin until it balances.

JeffJ and Juliet like this.
  2. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

:eek:

Juliet likes this.
  3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes I saw that typo and fixed it lol!!

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I'm dealing with a war zone at the house now. Silver stinks of the vet. Wants to reconcile and cuddle up with his sister who does nothing but growl at him and go hide under the couch. Hmmm. Wonder if they will manage to get along while I sleep tonight.

I'll leave some dry food out overnight. @Stacy & Asia I know I am supposed to dose per the nadir (which I can only get after a weekend curve) - so if I see a higher than usual number tomorrow morning (more than likely if I leave dry food out) - what should I do re dosing - his usual 4.25? I am going to be gone for 12 hours. I hate hate the thought of going to work tomorrow but right now I can't see a way out of it. I'd call in sick if I hadn't just been off sick too recently.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Right.....If he's eating well, I'd just leave him some of his Fancy Feast and not tempt fate by adding high carb dry

Have you ever tried making cat-sicles? Add water to canned food and put into ice cube tray to freeze...then leave down the frozen food for him to eat later in the day when it thaws? (now some cats will eat it frozen, but most will wait for it to thaw and it smells like food)

6. Chris & China (GA)

Take a towel (or old sock or anything cloth) and rub Sasha good....then go rub Silver with the same thing (and vise versa) to help him to smell like familiar things instead of the vetty smells

7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

No I haven't. I'll try that tomorrow. Any danger if they ate it frozen - can it hurt him?

Yes, I am reluctant to leave the dry. I will feed a can of FF, then leave down a can as I walk out the door. Again no clue his sister might not eat it though. Should I leave down some of the high carb Royal Canin Recovery the vet gave me?

8. Chris & China (GA)

no

I'd wait and see where he's at....if he's above 150, I'd probably get right back to the 4.25U dose and continue as you were before this happened (except to add the extra calories)

We'd usually only use the high carb food if he's running low at PS so you could still shoot the same amount without worrying (so much) about him crashing while you're gone

9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I think they said on here earlier in the condo that it was high calorie not high carb?

I gave him a can of FF about an hour ago and am about to go to bed. Should I leave any food out and if so, what? dry, another can FF? the Royal Canin?

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Month end can wait. I am sure a day of extra concentration can get things back on track.

I am glad Silver is home.

Looks like he got cerenia and some pain medications while in there. Did they send him home with some cerenia?

Recovery is high calorie low carb...either put it out or make the popsicle with it tomorrow. It is easy to add the extra water into :)

11. Chris & China (GA)

It's higher calorie and slightly higher in carbs (depending on the variety of FF)....but as long as he's eating the Fancy Feast well, I think I'd stick with that. Why add the possibility that a new food might upset his tummy at this point when the benefit doesn't really outweigh the risk?

If he wasn't eating well and we needed to get more calories into him it might be worth the risk, but I don't see any reason to push it if he's willing to eat more of the FF

Juliet likes this.
  12. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Actually it can't. For an Accounts Assistant not there at month end, I will risk losing my job. Believe me. Its too big a risk. I have to go in tomorrow unfortately. No cerenia. No meds except the fluids. May get more meds when culture comes back.
    He is eating like a horse. Wolfed down the can off FF in less than five mins.

Ok I will give him some more food just now before I go to bed. Think he will eat more? He just ate a whole can FF.

13. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I've texted my boss and asked. If I don't hear from him I will have to go in but let's hope he turns his phone on.

14. Chris & China (GA)

If you can, I'd wait 20 minutes or so before going to bed.....make sure he keeps down that food (especially if he ate it quickly)

If he's doing ok then, go ahead and give him some more and try to get some rest!!

15. Juliet

Juliet Guest

OK I am OFF WORK tomorrow. I will be able to watch out for him. Okay this girl is going to BED.
    Thanks everyone!

16. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I fed him an hour ago - seriously i need to go to bed. I have not slept since thursday.

17. Tracey&Jones (GA)

We need to find you a new booking keeping job! Glad your boss was accommodating!

Good night Juliet, Silver and Sasha.

Juliet likes this.
  18. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Love my job actually. Been in it one year now. Need longevity in one place. Despite what people think - immigrants to a new country don't have it easy. It's my first perm job in 15 years living here.

Silver sneezes a lot. It's my signal to know his diabetes was back. Why is that?

19. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I have hired a few new immigrants into the accounting department. It is an adjustment all around for sure.

No idea why the sneezing....but go to bed girlfriend.

Juliet likes this.
  20. PussCatPrince - GA

The company may not agree with that. :p

Juliet likes this.
  21. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Sleep at this point is a lot better for you, than getting more forum interaction. Glad to hear your kitteh is home.

Yawn....this looks so relaxing.

Leo and Little Dude on couch - 1-17-2018b.jpg

22. PussCatPrince - GA

Very true as me and him know only too well. I wouldn't do it again but let's not side-track as I could get ranty. :woot:

Good one. Very pleased for you .

Sleep tight. :cat::cat:

Juliet likes this.
  23. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope you got a good night's sleep, and that Sasha and Silver have reconciled!

Huh. That's interesting-- no antibiotics, but he recovered really really well nevertheless. Hmm. I see why the vet is now unsure about the UTI diagnosis.

We know that something was the trigger for the ketones, and also something got him feeling better and eating pretty quickly at the vet. I'm back to wondering about the possibility of pancreatitis? I see on the list of treatments that Silver was getting some pain meds at the vet-- pain is often pretty severe with pancreatitis, and the thing that makes them not want to eat.

If the culture indeed comes back negative, I'd ask the vet about this possibility, and about the possibility of continuing some pain meds for Silver (especially if you notice any decrease in his currently-wonderful appetite after he's been home for a while and the meds he got at the vet have started to wear off).

The other possibility is that it is a UTI, and just the fluids (and the pain meds-- UTIs are painful too!) got him feeling better enough to start eating and get the ball rolling. It'd be a good thing if it's that-- pancreatitis can be managed, but UTIs can be cured with just some antibiotics, it'd be nice to have something you could just wipe out.

Kris & Teasel and Stacy & Asia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.