? Dose Help! 4/8 Smudge AMPS 90 +1 130 +4 91 +5 65+6.5 62+8.5 56 PMPS 208 just at vet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Astexcat, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-7-smudge-amps-223.228002/

So Smudge seems determined to make me a bit worried most mornings. I'm both thrilled and terrified of her number this morning.

As long as she eats, I'll be giving a full dose and monitoring closely, and I have a fairly together hypo kit but I may go do the "touch each item" thing to make sure I can find it.

Here goes to a hopefully boring day.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job shooting. Make sure you get a +1 and a +2 to see where she's going today.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  3. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

You'll do great :) Good luck to you both!!

Tina and Salem likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

How beautiful! Finally you get to shoot a green!! YEAH!!!

Just monitor closely...let's hope Smudge just turned the corner! Looks like you've got a plan in place for today :)

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Keep it safe Smudge.

6. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Good heavens this is nerve racking....I know she onsets around +4/5 but still. We have a vet appt at around 11:30, so I'll grab a test before we leave for a +5.5 to make sure she's surfing and not still dropping. She came out for food right now (as usual) so will have some more food on board to help with surfing I hope.

7. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

Good luck today & hang in there!!!....those low numbers sure are scary. (probably just as much as too high ones!)

8. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

I know 65 isn't quite hypo range, and I'm probably going to get a bump from the stress at the vet, but what would advice be at this point....re-test every hour to see if she stabilizes and surfs? What about this evening's dose? When does the application of M

9. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

At vet and alpha trek reading of 56, so will check as soon as I get home and apply some medium carb food.

10. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Vet wants to cut her dose in half tonight, or at least down to 3 U.... Thoughts?

11. LindyNova

Hi Bridget. I would update your title for answers for tonight. I can't comment on the dose for tonight, but when needing assistance for a dose that always helped me.

:bighug:

12. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I would not change the dose unless Smudge has earned a reduction. Since the lower reading was at the vet on an AT2 meter, it's possible Smudge did earn a reduction...keep monitoring today...and if need be reduce by .25... That's what I'd do.

LindyNova likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Look at all those pretty greens. :D If in spite of stress she registered at 56 on the AT at the vet, that means a dose reduction down to 4.75 units. Let's see what her numbers are closer to PMPS. Maybe get a +11 and post for help? For kitties on higher doses, there can be times you want to do a one time reduced dose to drain the depot. Maybe that's why the vet suggested 3.0 units just for tonight?

I hope the rest of the vet visit went well.

Sue and Luci and LindyNova like this.
  14. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

So terribly nerve racking these low numbers, luckily I know she generally surfs after +6 but I'm still nervy. Would never be handling this as well if I weren't home.

Sue and Luci and LindyNova like this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

A tsp or two or LC with the tests, can help her surf along.

LindyNova likes this.
  16. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Well her PMPS spiked, but we just got back from a 2 hour vet visit so I'm going to discard it as anywhere near accurate for what it would have been sans vet visit. I'm going to drop her dose as mentioned above.

Anyone know how heart meds for end-stage heart failure interact with insulin/diabetes?

17. Wendy&Neko

Which heart meds and what format? All too familiar with some of them. Does sweet Smudge have heart issues? :bighug:

18. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Along with diabetes, apparently she's been hiding end stage heart failure from me. Terribly heartbroken, it's been one he** of a day. Furosemide(Lasix) and Vetmedin (Pimobendan). Apparently all four parts of her heart are damaged enough that they can't even guess at the underlying cause. She's my heart cat, I want more time with her and I suspect I don't have much of it left :(.

19. LindyNova

:(:bighug::( I am so sorry to hear this. :bighug:

20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:I am really sorry to hear this. I hope the medications will buy you more time with Smudge

22. Wendy&Neko

Neko was on Vetmedin and Plavix (chlopidogrel) which thins the blood and helps prevent strokes. She was also on benazapril for her proteinuria, but also helps as a beta blocker. Later on when she got fluid on her lungs, she got Lasix. None of her meds impacted her blood sugar. Neko was fairly regulated, so I could notice when something impacted her blood sugar. I did notice that when she added a new drug, it might take her body a couple days to get used to it with higher numbers, but then she settled down again. @Olive & Paula Paula's first diabetic was on a number of heart meds, and she found a place to have them compounded into one, which makes the medicating easier

What form is Smudge's Lasix? We had one member who was giving injections of Lasix and found it impacted the BG, but pills did not. Neko was on liquid.

FYI - the Vetmedin made a huge difference/improvement for Neko. She went out of heart failure for a half a year. My issues were that she also had failing kidneys and the treatment for kidneys damaged the heart, and vice versa.

I hope Smudge can improve and have some good quality time with you. :bighug::bighug::bighug: Are you counting her resting respiration rate now?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Reason for edit: respiration rate, not heart rate
  23. Olive & Paula

My first sugar kitty was on those plus others. He went to ER for ultrasound for pancreatitis confirmation. They said he had enlarged heart and some chf. So echo was done a few days later. The cardiologist said sometime in the previous 6 months Smokey had a heart attack. Smokey didn't show any symptoms of heart issues. He was listed as guarded prognosis. Put on 5 meds. He had a repeat echo about 7-8 months later. I'm in the room and the cardiologist starts and says "holy sh*t". My jaw drops thinking this is it, Smokey is 18 1/2 yrs old. After I pick up my jaw, I say "it's that bad". Cardio looks at me , I think he forgot I was there. And he says "oh no, he is so much better, he improved greatly, I can't believe it". So I ask he will see his 19 birthday? Cardio said I think he will. He did some more stuff and yes, he improved. He crossed because of a thrombosis 1 month later.

3 of Smokeys meds (vetmedin, benazepril, and another) were compounded in one liquid med. Lasix and aspirin were given separately. They were done from Stokes compounding pharmacy.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  24. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Thank you all for the information. Right now it's both pills, and the Vetmedin is a huge "chewable" pill that I'm not sure she'll eat mixed into her food. I may just ask for a liquid form of that one right away and see. Thanks for all the input.

25. Olive & Paula

Ask your vet to check with Wedgewood. See if vetmedin can be done in gourmed chewable treat.

Their site isn't easier to navigate but you might find what form they can make it in. They will only talk to vet regarding price though.

26. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Bridget, what a terrible diagnosis. :( We're sending a huge amount of health vines to your little Smudgie. :bighug::bighug::bighug: