.4 a safe amount?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Thaiger & Katie, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

Hi AGAIN!

Can someone look at Thai's sheet and let me know if I over did it with the .4 this morning? I have to head to work so I won't be able to monitor so i'm hoping I didn't just give her too much... She's eating now.

2. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

3. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

Hard to say for sure but it might be safe. 0.2 with a preshot of 208 gave her a nadir around 90 meaning she had a little room to to go lower. Definitely leave food out for her. Any way you could check in on her around +5?

4. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

Earliest I could be home to check on her would be +8.5. :( she does have food out though... about 1/4 can of food and a handful of low carb dry food

5. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

.8 with an AMPS of 262 had a nadir of 57
    .2 with an AMPS of 208 had a nadir of 90
    So .4 with an AMPS of 247 will have a nadir of..... 70 - 80ish?

6. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

Theoretically. I won't say don't worry, as I know you will anyways. I will be thinking about Thaiger all day, as I'm sure you will be, too! She has food available, so that's a great thing. I guess you don't have anyone that could pop in on her in a few hours?

Thaiger & Katie likes this.
  7. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

I'm going to leave work to check.. she is gonna get me fired! :)

Critter Mom and Stacym20 like this.
  8. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

I'm so glad to hear that you're going to check in on her! I'll keep checking in on here, and I sure hope you don't get fired! Although Thaiger would be worth it right? ;)

9. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

She's totally worth it. :)

129 at +5. I'll test again at +6 and +7 to see where she is at the lowest. Might as well since i'm home now! :D

10. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

It's always good to get data when you can and this will be especially helpful since it's early days. Glad to hear she is in safe numbers!

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You're a woman after my own heart! :D

12. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

Ohhhhh what we do for our fur babies lol. When Hidey was diagnosed I freaked out with testing. I had a part time job at that time, and made it clear to my boss I would only work from 8-1, that way I had time to make sure he ate, got his shot and was ok before I left in the morning, and then I was home to test and feed lol. Luckily I worked with the same boss, at a small daycare for 8+ years, and she was an animal lover......no questions asked (or guilt trip lol)

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

She dropped a bit between +6 and +7? Quite a bit actually... She was yelling at me to feed her but I wanted to wait to get an accurate reading. Does this mean that the Prozinc is probably most effective with her at +7 and not at +5 like I originally thought?

14. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

Looks like her nadir could be around +7 then. But, it's a nice safe number at least. Are you going to keep checking every hour just to be sure she's rising?

15. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

It can vary, Hidey's would be between +5 - +7. Some days his nadir would be 5, some days 6, other days 7. Im sure there are many factors that come in to play.....how the body is feeling that day, how often they free fed that day, activity level...... and so on. Thats why its nice on the days you can test to get the data because it gives you more of an idea. She's looking good though ;)

16. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

Oh, and if you want to talk about dropping quite a bit, Bud went from a pre-shot of 404 to a +3.5 of 116! So almost 300 points in 3.5 hours. Talk about panic! lol but at +4.5 he was rising. Probably bouncing from not being use to the lower numbers.

17. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

@Stacym20 holy cow! I would be freaking out! And nah on the continual testing.. She gets another poke in 2.5 hours to see if she can have her next dose of insulin so i figured I would give her a break. She sounded like she was starving to death too so I caved and fed her after that last test so I don't think it would have been very accurate anyways.

18. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

Are you adding any water to her food? Sometimes that can help fill them up a little better, but if that doesnt help feed feed feed for the moment until shes regulated......it will make you both happier lol

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

Sounds like a plan. And all my cats act like they're starving to death most of the time. I thought that was just a normal cat thing. Lol!

20. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

@dirtybirdsoaps oh if you could only experience the diva known as Thaiger. She won't eat wet food unless I add warm water to it. She will literally sit and stare at her bowl until I add MORE water if she has already lapped up what is there. Yet she loves dry food so I don't get it. She also has 3 litter boxes. She poohs only in one of them and then the other two must be completely void of kitty mess for her to use them to urinate.

She has my heart.. and my wallet.. :D

21. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

lol reminds me of Hidey, I spoon feed him a lot of his food. He wont dig in to get it so I have to spoon it into a pile, then after a moment spoon feed him. LOL My dad laughs every time he comes to visit because theres always something new and crazy going on with my cats. This time it will most likely be windows covered because they freak with other cats in the yard......working on getting another scarecrow sprinkler in my back yard to keep them a way.

22. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

What was Thaiger's preshot number tonight?

23. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

@Stacym20 - she was at 100 last night at PMPS and 146 two hours later so no insulin. This morning she was at 150 so no insulin again.

Stacym20 likes this.
  24. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

That's awesome! Bud threw me a 169 this morning! I was like "I have no idea what to do with that..." lol if you look at his spreadsheet it's literally been almost never that he's had a pre-shot in the 100's.

25. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

I would be way too scared to give Thai .2u at 169!

26. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

For sure! But since Bud has been getting 1.4, I figured 0.2 was okay. And I did 2 re-tests to make sure 169 was right that came in at 170 and 204. I'm still flabbergasted... Will be interesting to see what he is tonight.

27. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

Thaiger is having a wonderful, insulin free day. :)

Stacym20 likes this.
  28. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

And Bud was 432 this evening. Boo. No shocker there though.

29. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

Should I send Thai over there to have a discussion with him?

Stacym20 likes this.
  30. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

:joyful:Yes, please! I've got to be driving my family insane with the non stop diabetic lingo babble! Lol

31. Thaiger & Katie

Thaiger & Katie Member

....I make my husband clap for Thaiger when her levels are in range...

Stacym20 likes this.
  32. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

Well dang, that's what I did wrong. I should've had my husband clap for Bud this morning. I'm so trying that next time it happens!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.