+4 reading @ 164-Scared

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by owlgal, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Just took the +4 reading and @164. On Prozinc. Scared it is too low for +4. Still at least 4 more hours to go with nadir still to come. What to do now? Please look over and advise please.

THANKS!

Lori

2. Lori,
    did you alter the SS url? It isn't showing up as a link we can click on....

What was his BG at shot time, and what was the dose?
    Carl

3. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

4. OK, got it.
    Don't panic. It doesn't look like "panic" to me. Are you going to be awake for a couple hours?
    At this point, you don't need to do anything but keep an eye on him.
    Did he eat regular at dinnertime? What and how much?

5. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Should i be testing him now every 30min?

6. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Yes, he has been eating fine today. Just fed him another 3oz. He ate @10pm about 1.5oz. He just hasn't been this low so soon. Can't get in touch with Dr. P. Now i'm shaking all over.

7. Lori, the problem is that you haven't seen a number this low before. He has, back before his diabetes settled in. He's well above "normal" at the moment. Best thing to do is test him at +5 to see what he's doing. Nadir should be around +6. The food he just ate will push it up a little by plus 5, or counteract the insulin. He's okay, you're okay, okay?

Me or somebody else will be paying attention here. That's what's awesome about FDMB. Nobody is ever alone.

Just precautionary here... do you have higher carb canned food available? If he does go lower, and a boost is needed, rather than karo or honey or the like, just a higher carb food, one with gravy if you got some, would be the first thing to do. But not now, not yet.
    One step at a time, and post as you need to. I am going to look to see who else is online as well.

Carl

8. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Thank you! I know the goal is to get him low, but i'm just not experienced enough in this yet to know if this is too soon or not. He seems fine right now. Yes, i will test him @ +5. THat will be in about 15min. If it's going down, do i give the high carb can food then(yes i have one just for this moment)? I don't think he will eat it. He is full. OHHHH, I hate this feeling.

His BG was high enough @ pmps to give the 2u. DOes this mean it's too much?

THANKS! I will probably be up all night now. You can see one day he kept going down to +12 +13 hr.

Lori

9. Lori,
    don't feed him yet. post his next number and then we'll see what to do, if anything.

Is he being dosed on a scale still? Obviously, it called for 2u on that BG number. But what is the next range of numbers and next lower dose?

Carl

10. No, this doesn't mean it was "too much". That dose has worked well for the past few days. For some reason, today, it worked better. That isn't bad. It just "is". It could be there is an improvement in his condition that will allow you to drop the dose is all. This is a good thing, in fact. ;-)

Carl

11. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

No Scale. Dr. P reccomended the 2u BID. She has been following very closly, but havent been able to get in touch with her tonight. She must be out. I tend to panic very easly, but very scared right now.

Lori

12. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Hi Lori,

I too use Prozinc and though I have not followed you as closely as Carl, I really think you are okay with the +4 reading. You have not seen a green test on the 2 units and at 164 you still have room to drop comfortably.

If you got into low numbers, do you have high carb food available? Honey etc?

I do not think you are in danger....but, like Carl said test again and post your result.

Kim

13. Lori, I understand completely.
    this is why we home test. But you're more scared than I am, so just stick with me.

Carl

14. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Let me correct the 2u BID. She has been wonderful at following each cycle and reccomending the dose. Like the other night when he kept dropping on his own, she said to give .50u. But i was a whimp and couldn't do it. I don't know why i just can't relax. It really feels like it is driving me insane at times. I just want to do the right thing for him and help him heal. I just don't have the guts to jump in full force for some reason. I hope this is the turn we were looking for, but scary for me.

lori

15. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Going to test now.... Be right back....

lori

16. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Here is the reading for +5: 165

I guess the food i just fed him helped. Should i test again in 1hr again?

THANKS everyone!

Lori

17. That number is good. Yes, the food is probably hitting right about now.
    Yes, if you are going to be up, check in an hour.

Good job!
    Carl

18. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

I will be up and will test. Just hate to keep poking his sore ears. I still only fed him FF<10% carbs, but this was the highest one i have @9%. I've been trying to stick to the 5%or less carb ff.

Do you think this is nadir? Or just from the food? How often do you feed your cat? Mine still wants to eat every 3-4hrs. I guess he is trying to gain his weight back that he has lost.

Once they get regulated, does it get easier?

Thanks! I feel better. I know Dr. P would be saying to me now, just relax, he is fine.

Lori

19. This should be the nadir. Usually between 5-7 hours, but ECID. Bob tended to nadir by +5.
    He was only eating at shot times at first, till I read here that small frequent feedings can work better with diabetics.
    Now he eats 4x a day. Two meals a whole can, two meals 1/2 can.

Yes Lori, it does get easier. You will get to the point where a green is something you look forward to! And you won't bat an eye or lose any sleep over a 165. But yeah, the first couple times? It gets your attention.
    As he gets better, his appetite will get more back to normal. Right now, he needs more food than normal because he can't process it quite right. That'll go away as his numbers stay lower.

Heck, Bob still tells me he's hungry eight times a day, but he only eats 4 times. He's always been a little piglet, but he can't use "diabetes" for an excuse any more!

Carl

20. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support carl. I look forward to the day when he will be in the green. It just seems like there is no pattern to predict the nadir yet. Will test the +6 and hopefully go to bed.

Lori

21. Lori,
    You are very welcome.
    OK, if this happens again, and nobody is here to advise or help...

Keep a can or two of gravy style higher carb food on hand. If you get into a green area, or close, and it's still early.
    Check BG every 30 minutes. Watch for visible signs of trouble. Gigantic pupils, dizzy, staggering, basically acting like he's drunk or stoned....
    Check BG immediately, and feed just a spoonful of that gravy junk to him. You don't want him to eat fast, because you need him a little hungry in case he needs to come up. Check again in 15. If low or falling, another spoonful. May have to repeat again...

When you see him level off and start to climb. Check again 30 minutes later. This should fix it unless he's really going hypo. Like seizures. In that case, karo syrup on his gums and call the ER immediately.

Always check the bottom of the main index page. Everyone on line is listed, and PM the heck out of them if they don't see your thread.

Will wait to see your +6
    Carl

22. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Yep. That'd be what I'd be sayin'.

Seriously, Lori, you need to RELAX or you will go crazy - or fall over from exhaustion. I know that we have chatted about this over and over again on the phone but it hurts me to see you so worried all the time. I wish that you could relax - for your sake. At this rate of worrying....and lack of sleep.....you are going to 'hit the wall' of utter fatigue pretty soon.

23. Lori,
    Listen to Dr. L. !
    No, you will learn to relax, and soon I think. I was a mess for a week or two. Tonight helped you. And him. Now you know you can deal with it. Now you know what to look for, and you know what to do.

Get some sleep!

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.