?? 4 week cycle of inappetence...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Red'sMomHeather, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red'sMomHeather

Red'sMomHeather Member

Yesterday, and going on today Red has not wanted to eat the wet friskies food. I checked his spreadsheet and found that this is the third time this has happened and that each time it has been exactly 4 weeks after the last time (minus a day this time). This is very strange and I have no idea what's going on here. This time, unlike the others, he was still willing to eat the diabetic dry food (that I had left over when I made the full switch to wet and that I keep around for situations like this). It's usually accompanied by very smelly diarrhea, and while I assume this is because his diet is off I wonder if the inappetence and diarrhea are both symptoms of the same (apparently cyclical) problem.
    This is very strange and very frustrating.
    Going to ask the vet tomorrow as I have to bring in one of my civvies who has decided he no longer pees in the litter box...*sigh*

2. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Does Red go outside, or is he strictly an indoor cat?

3. Red'sMomHeather

Red'sMomHeather Member

Hmm...good question/point. He goes outside into the back and front yard, semi-supervised (as in I check on him every 20 min-ish). Are you thinking maybe he ate something there that causes this? I'm trying to remember if he were out before this happened. It's been so hot I've been keeping him inside in the nice A/C. He may have. I can't say for sure that he didn't. :/

4. Robin&BB

What caught my eye is the cyclical nature of his diarrhea; make certain the vet checks for things like giardiasis - the parasite which causes this can be picked up in the great outdoors. Very treatable, too.

Red'sMomHeather and Meya14 like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Check moon phases against the timing of these bouts.

Some cats are very moon-sensitive. It can certainly affect behaviour and mood, blood glucose levels even. I'm wondering whether moon phase might also affect other endocrine / GI functions?

Mogs

Robin&BB likes this.
  6. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Given that you have noticed a definitive pattern I wonder if it could be a slight flare of pancreatitis.

Red'sMomHeather likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

8. Robin&BB

@Critter Mom - Wow ... I never knew that!!!

9. Critter Mom

Can't beat a moon-mad moggie for sheer entertainment value. :)

Robin&BB likes this.
  10. Red'sMomHeather

Red'sMomHeather Member

I'll add pancreatitis to the list of possible problems I'd like the vet to look into, thanks. Trying to find reasons he doesn't seem to be responding to the insulin. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.