4health canned food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by luvmykitties, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvmykitties

luvmykitties New Member

Does anybody use this? From my research it's only sold at Tractor Supply. I ran across it the other day while shopping there. It "seems" to have better ingredients than the Friskies I'm currently feeding, no meat by products at all. And, it's only a few cents per can more than Friskies. I'd like to hear other's thoughts on it.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I looked at their site. The only wet food I saw was 4health Grain-Free Turkey & Giblet Dinner. I will paste the info on it below. They only provide Guaranteed Analysis info. You may want to contact the company to get more info. Here is what Dr Pierson says regarding contacting companies:
    Use the following dialog when calling the companies:
    “I would like to know the percentage of calories that come from protein, fat, and carbohydrates.” This is also known as the “metabolizable energy (ME) profile.”
    If they do not have ME values, at least obtain dry matter values and you can calculate the ME yourself using the math (formula) tutorial above.
    Stress that you do not want the GA figures as they are nothing more than minimums and maximums and this information (as it pertains to protein and fat but not carbs or phosphorus) is already contained on the can.

Ingredients:
    Turkey Broth, Turkey, Chicken, Poultry Giblets, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Carrageenan, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (min.) 9.00%
    Crude Fat (min.) 6.50%
    Crude Fiber (max.) 1.00%
    Moisture (max.) 78.00%
    Ash (max.) 2.8%
    Magnesium (min.) (max.) 0.028%
    Taurine (min.) 0.05%

Caloric Content:
    Metabolizable Energy (ME) 1240 kcal/kg; 3 oz. - 105 kcal/can; 5.5 oz. - 193 kcal/can; 12.5 oz. - 438 kcal/can.

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

By my calculations (which may not be right!) this comes in around 12%.

4. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

we actually tried the 4health grain-free turkey & giblet pate when tux got diagnosed since our cats loved their dry food beforehand, it was too dry if i remember right and he nor other cats like it.. the as-is basis was: Protein: 11.13% Fat: 9.27% Carbs: 0.77% (3.34% carbs on a dry matter basis.). my cats didn't even like the tuna either, still have 2 cans of it.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’ve used it,but stopped because the texture was so inconsistent from can to can. Colin would eat it one day then the next, walk away and he doesn’t walk away from any food! When he ate it I didn’t notice any significant food spikes, so I think the carb content is ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.