5 1/2 year honeymoon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gray, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gray

Gray New Member

I last posted on this board back in September 2004, when my then fourteen year old cat Mike was first diagnosed with diabetes. The vet was inept, but this board was so helpful and informative. I did lots of research, and put Mike on an all protein diet. Surprisingly, Friskies loaf style canned food was among the highest in protein. After a short while, and a lot of prayer, Mike went into what you call a honeymoon period when he didn't need insulin. At first I assumed it would only last a month or two, but it lasted five and a half years.

Mike died very peacefully Sunday, and I buried him yesterday. He was almost twenty, and healthy up until the final few days. I am still in shock, and I keep catching myself looking for him in his little bed and calling out to him. But we had so, so many fun times together, and I was so lucky to have him. I think Mike was the greatest cat who ever lived. I want to say thank you to the people who run this board, who saved my cat's life and gave me five and a half more years with him. There is hope for your diabetic cat, and I hope you and your cat have at least as many happy years together as I had with my beautiful little Mike.

Gray

2. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Gray, I am SO SORRY for your loss of your baby MIke. 20 years..oH mY Gosh that is amazing, What a long and wonderful life you had together. I know you will miss him terribly. How blessed you were.
    Hearing your story gives me so much hope.We JUST began a honey*&%n Trial with my Hank only this weekend. I,like you could never have made it without the support I found here, we were only diagnosed not that long ago, but he has responded so well we are giving it a 'go'. I feel hopeful for many, many more years with him like you had with Mike. My heart goes out to you as I know how sad you must be. But also a smile at what JOY he must have brought you in your time together.

Our sympathies to you,

Betty & Hank

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Gray, my sincere and deepest sympathy on the passing of your beloved Mike. What a wonderful and long life you shared together and I am glad to hear he passed away peacefully. May all your precious memories help you through the "moments" because we understand the void that his passing will leave in your life. So many years but somehow......never enough. wings_cat[​IMG]

4. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, what a blessing you had with all those extra years.

My Yittle is just about to turn 14 and he's honeymooning also, I only hope I get as long with him as you did your beloved friend.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Mike.

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss .. 20 years together .. amazing ...

7. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

20 years is amazing! What a long and wonderful life you had together and how different it might have turned out (for all of us as well) if this board wasn't here.

You have earned your angel wings sweet Mike...fly free.

8. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that your boy Mike has gone - but what a long and wonderful life you had together. And what loving care you must have given him - 5 1/2 years OTJ is WONDERFUL - quite an achievement and how wonderful for you both.

I know what a hole is left in your heart and life - when we lost our 20-year-olds many years ago, the house seemed so very empty. I'm sending many comforting prayers your way - and know that Mike is now young and free of any pain and looking down on you with such love.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

9. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

(((Gray))) I'm so sorry for your loss. But oh my! What a very very blessed life Mike shared with you. Your story and life together sounded so blessed and sweet. Those years will bring you peace and comfort.

10. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

so very sorry for your loss........ 20 years is wonderful... but it's never enough time, is it?

Mike was a very lucky kitty to have you take such fantastic care of him.

Fly Free Mike ! wings_cat

11. cjleo

cjleo Member

Gray,

So sorry for your loss of Mike. 20 years of memories to remember and help you find peace.

Fly free, Mike. Chase the butterflies at the Rainbow Bridge.

Claudia

12. Trish & Harley (GA)

Trish & Harley (GA) Member

I am so very sorry

13. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat

14. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

20 years...you and Mike were so blessed. What a beautiful story and testament to love.

Fly free Mike, land softly...

Jeanne

15. Susan G and Tiger GA

Susan G and Tiger GA Member

i'm sorry for the loss of your dear mike, 20 years is a long time (my tiger just turned 16 and is also otj for the 3rd time), but still never long enough! safe crossing, mike!

16. Gray

Gray New Member

Thank you all. I can't express how nice it is to find people who understand. Give your little pals a kiss for my Mike's sake.

Gray

17. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I gave my nearly 14 year old Yittle an extra kiss tonight in your Mike's name. I hope I get as long a honeymoon with him as you did your beloved friend. My deepest sympathies on your loss.

18. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((Gray)))

Fly free Mike rb_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.