5/12 Maui One Year OTJ 66

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Well it is official. Today Maui is one year OTJ! It has been quite a year to say the least. What I would like to focus on, especially for newbies and beans that don't know our history is just that, what happened our first days after diagnosis.

Below are the posts from my scary first two days. It started on a Sunday with a phone call from vet with test results and his scaring me that she had to go to ER or else she may die (he didn't say die, but that was the point he was trying to make - again another scare tactic).

I called my mom, because that's what I do when I have a crisis and need to cry and have someone listen and comfort. Also, mom has diabetes - not that I considered the correlation of how much help she could be from a distance. Then I found the board. So day one is somewhat mild and I really thought after talking with mom, that I got this under control. How wrong I was....

Day two when I took her to the vet and she insisted on keeping Maui for a few days to "regulate" her. And being told I was NOT allowed to home test!

If it wasn't for the first responders guiding me and making very clear suggestions, I honestly don't know where we would be today. Cyn & Cosmo were with me all day and her voice came loud and clear through the computer.
    Get your cat out of there. Bring her home, make her safe. Dosing lantus in 8 hours for a newly diagnosed cat, no way.

I listened, followed their suggestions and once that crisis was resolved, I came over to LL and with the dedicated help of everyone here (especially) team J, I just want thank you all for helping Maui.

Enjoy the read. If it hadn't happened to me I would not have believed.

And let's take a moment to be grateful for fdmb and let's party!
    THANK YOU FDMB

And here's the link to Maui's fabulous OTJ PARTY!!! Thanks D!
    Maui's OTJ Party

2. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I cannot believe how fast the year went by. Even before reading your posts I remember the day you came here.
    Thank you Hillary for sticking around and helping so many newbies here and on Health....also thanks for always being here to cheer on us long-timers too.

CONGRATULATIONS HILLARY AND MAUI ON 1 YEAR OTJ!!

3. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

WOW - has it really been a year already! Congrats. I am so glad that Maui has continued to do so well AND that you still come and help us out here. Congrats! drinking24

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Congratulations to both of you!

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat

What a nice surprise!
    Congratulations Maui and Hillary on ONE YEAR OTJ!!! So awesome!!!

And yes - a big thanks to you Hillary for everything that you do here on FDMB!

I'll be back later - I hope to see another Maui report from the falls!
    :lol:
    party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat

6. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

wow congratulations. I story many can learn from. drinking24

7. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

MAUI AND HILLARY--CANT BELIEVE IT'S A YEAR ALREADY!! BET YOU ARE LOVING THE FALLS!!MAUI NO MORE POKUS AND I HERE YOU ARE THE WELCOMING COMITTEE FOR NEWLY OTJ FROM HERE! THAT'S SO COOL!
    HAPPY 1 YEAR OTJ & MANY MORE-- :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: bcatrun_gif bcatrun_gif party_cat

8. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations on this milestone Hillary & Maui!!!!
    party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat

I couldn't be happier for anyone ..well, except Alex. :D
    I know better than perhaps anyone how much blood, sweat and tears you put into the care of your kitties and that is not limited to Maui. And beyond that, you are there to help a friend (I couldn't have gotten through these past 7 months without you...heck I couldn't have even gotten started)!, A newbie stranger, and no matter what you post...be it a canned post of something straight out of your heart, it is fine by this bean and to me, always welcome.

Hillary, you have been my emotional 'rock' and when things were going rough for me here you helped me try to straighten myself out by being my cheerleader, emailing and PMing people that I just had an 'edge' and I really was just scared and somehow or another, for the most part you made people see what i could not seem to make them see..that I am not so bad. :lol: You helped bring Alex and myself the very much needed help we need for which I will always be grateful and in conclusion I will say...

you are a wonderful friend and mama bean and I am so happy that Maui is getting to celebrate her 1 year OTJ today!! (However, IF-and that's a BIG if-Alex ever makes it to the Falls- he will not be Maui's cabana boy. I HATE 'BANANA HAMMOCKS")!!!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

We love you ♥♥♥
    Caryl, Alex & Jackson

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your 1 year of being OTJ that is so great :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT drinking24

10. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

congratulations on your 1 year milestone! May you have many more!

11. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Oh, man, I have to get to work, but I was just lost in reading that thread from Day 2. I was rooting for Maui to get home, even though I already knew the happy ending. Happy Anniversary and here's to many more!

YYYYAAAAYYYY!!!!

12. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

It hasnt been a year has it? Oh my goodness!
    Maui you are doing so well!
    We wish you many many years OTJ at the beautiful falls sweetie.

[​IMG]

13. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Happy tears! Hard to believe it's been a year already! BIG TIME congrats to Ms. Maui the Magnificent and to her wonderful mombean Hillary!!

Maui.. may you enjoy many, many more years at the Falls!!

Hillary, your dedication to your girls (all of them) and your fearless tenacity are something to be admired. You have come such a long way and learned and grown so much in the past year... I'm proud of ya my friend!

14. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS HILLARY & MAUI! That is so great - One Whole Year! party_cat party_cat drinking24

15. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Yea maui one year OTJ!!!!!!! Our big 1 is comming too end of this summer. Time goes by fast when your having fun huh?

Congratulations!

16. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations Hillary.
    It's incredible reading your first posts and seeing where you started and
    where you are now.
    So happy for you and Maui.

BTW, Max rounded up Scrabble and Tugger to be pool and cabana boys for your
    pretty lady over at the falls. I hope she is enjoying all of the attention. :D
    Wishing continued health and happiness for you and Maui.

Thanks for being such great support.

17. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Thanks for sharing your first two days. Says it all about this group and your determination to do right even while the vet is telling you you are putting your cat at risk. Couldn't do it without all this very wise support.

And I love the picture of Maui with the canned food - esp. since the canned food was a no-go at first.

Congrats on your 1 year party.

18. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Hillary & Maui!! Awesomely Amazing 1 year OTJ!! You have done a wonderful job & I thank you for all the help you have given all of us on the board too!! (((Thank you))) Party Time!!!​

party_cat party_cat party_cat

19. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hillary -- I am so happy for you and Maui. And it's amazing how much you've given back to so many of us in these few months since Maui went OTJ. You were there for me the way that Cyn was there for you, and now my Kitty is another link in the OTJ chain. :YMHUG:

THANK YOU for learning and giving so much to help others. o:) And continue to enjoy the Falls for a LONG LONG TIME.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flip_cat party_cat flip_cat dancing_cat flip_cat drinking24 flip_cat

Attached Files:

20. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Congratulations on one year!! :) What a scary, crazy first couple of days you had. Glad things are so much better now. :smile:

21. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

What??? Maui the Magnificent has been OTJ for a year??? Wow, how time flies :smile:

Congrats on year 1 Hilary and Maui! Oh how I remember your first few days, the things the vet told you and how you never gave up!

Enjoy your 1 year party Maui ;-)

22. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Congrats on the one year annifursary! :RAHCAT

Maui is indeed magnificent! dancing_cat

23. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ONE YEAR ANNIFURSARY!!!! THAT IS SO AWESOME!!! SCRABBLE IS ENJOYING MEETING ALL HIS NEW FRIENDS AT THE FALLS, THEY HAVE BEEN SHOWING HIM AROUND. HE LIKES IT HERE!!!

WAY TO GO U TWO, WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :dizcat :dizcat :dizcat :dizcat :dizcat :dizcat :dizcat

24. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Reading those old threads really grabs your heart doesn't it?
    Congratulations you guys -- one year is so exciting.
    Thank you Hillary for making us all laugh a lot and helping the other kitties.
    (((((((((((((((Hillary and Maui))))))))))))))))))))

25. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Wow. All of this happened before Donovan and I arrived on FDMB.
    My first memory of Maui is her hilarious FF-spewing-Professional-Stunt-Kitty-Don't-Try-This-At-Home pics :razz:
    So what happened on day 3, and 4, etc.? No repercussions from Bad Vet who wanted to keep Maui for days?

26. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks everyone for sharing this day with us. I am now home and can hug the cats and get the party started!

MJ - to answer your question - the vet in question was off the next day and was under the impression I was taking Maui to a 24 hour facility. She NEVER called to follow up or anything. When I said I was picking her up they had her records ready for me to take the 24 hour place.

I collected Maui, the records, paid the bill and left. And to this day never heard from them at all.

I did go back in October (another long story) and tried to tell the original vet who called on Sunday, how well Maui was doing and he didn't want to hear it or seem to care.

Days 3 and 4 were spent a little freaked out, as I was waiting for the mail to arrive with the insulin, strips and meter from my mom. I also took Maui to the new vet, got a script for insulin and syringes, bought them and was using the crappy true result meter, until the OTU arrived. Oh and I made several trips to Pet Smart to buy canned food, exchange canned food and putting hypo kit together. When I wasn't running around, I was here trying to learn and asking lots and lots of questions and I'm sure driving the old timers back then crazy.

Like Donna and Jen said, I was very determined and I went through worse with Maui so I was prepared to do whatever was necessary to figure this out and get her well. And those first weeks, being told no dry food! Well, you've seen the pics you know how that worked out.

And here's the thing, a year later - no dry food, all low carb canned and commerical raw and I'm learning to make homemade raw! Talk about how far I've come and it's all because of this board and the beans here - so I blame them, it's all their fault! :lol:

One of the things Maui has always done and continues to do is be the meeter and greeter of all visitors, I took my cue from her and tried to be a meeter and greeter to newbies on health. While sometimes I may have come on too strong, it's only because I knew what was going on and the fear that person was feeling and that you have to most past the fear and guilt and get on with making kitty healthy. There were some newbies that the fear and panic "shouted" through their posts and I really tried to go that extra step and offer the comfort along with the facts and tough love.

What's so great is that in the one year Maui's been OTJ, there have been 67 kitties to go OTJ! Maui was the 57th cat! Now that's what is truly impressive!

27. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Congratulations Maui! Oh, and you too Hillary, haha!
    The threads from your first two days were really captivating reading and kept me on the edge of my chair. I had forgotten how much resistance you had from that vet, but I'm so glad you were determined to research and do the best thing for Maui. Thanks for linking to those posts, it was fascinating.

What a great year for you and Maui, but I have a question, does she still like ice cubes? That cracked me up!

[​IMG]

28. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Sadly, since going all wet food - Maui turns away from drinking water, ice cubes, ice cream, pudding and whip cream! She only wants her wet food and nowadays prefers the home made raw to anything else! Oh and cooked and freeze dried chicken - she goes bonkers over the freeze dried!

And here's the link to Maui's fabulous OTJ PARTY!!! Thanks D!
    Maui's OTJ Party

29. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Ah, she doesn't need the extra liquid so much. This is good.
    BigMac used to hang out in my sink waiting for the drips to fall on him. And being indulgent, I turned the tap on just enough to drip drip drip. Little did I know at the time, he was in the beginning stages of diabetes. Now he'd probably get pissed off if he got wet, he'd have to groom his lovely fur coat back to perfection. (Unlike Maui, BigMac is too vain to let "food" get all over his face! :lol: )

edit for spelling

30. Hillary & Maui (GA)

That's cause he's not a professional stunt kitty!

31. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Hillary & Maui))))) CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!! ONE YEAR!! YAY!!!!!
    party_cat TIME FOR A PARTY TO BE SURE!!! party_cat WOO WOO!!! drinking24

Those were awful days at the beginning...but you did what you had to do and thankfully there were people here on the forum who were there to help you! You deserve this reward of Maui's year long OTJ and many many more to come!!! :thumbup
    You have been so wonderful to everyone here Hillary....we are thankful for you help and support here and on Health. You are amazing! Thank you for sharing the links to Day 1 and Day 2 and also Maui's OTJ party!
    Now it's time to enjoy THIS party too....one year....how wonderful for youz!!! I am so happy!
    :YMHUG:

32. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Hillary,

Your story is truly inspirational to old timers and the newbies. You did hit it straight on and look what happened. Maui did'nt deserve any less and any less of a mama bean. :smile:

Thanks for all that you do for FD. It's always nice to hear from you. Hope you and your furbabies are sitting pretty.

And thanks for sharing.

jan and sara

33. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! One year annifursary is wonderful!!!!

The power of this board is very very strong indeed!!! Everyday I am thankful of the help and assistance I received here! And it's people like you who are very welcome and comforting that make beans that are skerred poopless come back to ask questions and get help. Thank you for paying it forward Hilary!!!!

34. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

YAY!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS HILLARY...HAPPY 1-YEAR .ANNIFURSARY MAUI!!!!!

What a milestone!!

I just read back your first posts. No wonder you were so sympathetic when we were first on and going through something similar. I wished I'd had you with me then. What is it with these vets? Thank goodness for us all we found this place and were able to help our kitties. You have so much wisdom and you so kindly share it with so many, myself included. You have to be so proud of all you've learned and how well Maui is doing.
    HOW AWESOME!

party_cat Let's party and celebrate Maui! Woo-Hoo!!!!!! party_cat

Betty & Hank dancing_cat dancing_cat

35. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Hard to believe it's been a year already. I remember when you first came to the board. So happy things have worked out so well for you and Maui, and that you continue to help out on this board.

36. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

wonderful, what a milestone. Congrats on 1 year OTJ!!!!!

37. MJ+Donovan

Yes, "hillarymaui" was one of the first to greet me and Donovan on the old FDMB board, and proceeded to ask a plethora of questions about him. I felt so special until I later realized it was a standard reply with the newbie sugarcat's name pasted in :oops:. No matter - it was what I needed to feel comfortable asking for help at the scary beginning of this journey.

for old time's sake: [​IMG]

38. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Wow a year already. Hard to believe. Congratulations you two! May you celebrate many happy annifursarys at the Falls! You guys deserve it. I'm so happy for you.

39. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Congrats to you both!

40. Hillary & Maui (GA)

sorry MJ that I didn't make you feel special. Yes, I do have a canned post that I've changed over time and added to it. Not everyone likes the canned post, but as a meeter/greeter, I do try to provide the necessary information for a newbie to get the basic information they need, hopefully digest it and come back with more questions. I've found that sometimes time is a factor when responding to newbies and sometimes a prepared post is a way to respond quickly and then do a personal follow up later.

Ah....thanks for sharing those very special Maui stunt photos!

41. MJ+Donovan

oh, please don't misinterpret that. I was just amazed at all the helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly people on FDMB. It's nice that you personalize the pre-fabricated post with the cat's name and such. It wasn't until I saw it a few times that I realized your role as SugarCat Welcome Wagon :D. Certainly wouldn't expect you to re-write the whole thing every time a newbie shows up. It's the most reasonable way to get as much info as possible so the cat can be helped accordingly. I poked around a bit and read as much as I could before I posted, but I know many people show up here in a panic and need assistance ASAP.

Carry on!

p.s. Donny really dislikes getting wet, but otherwise he'd be honored to serve the lovely Miss Maui at The Falls.

42. Ruth & Beethoven (GA)

Ruth & Beethoven (GA) Member

Wow! A Year! Thanks for the anniversary announcement and for sharing your story. There are many of us following behind you, so keep up the great work.

43. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

happy otj annifursary !!

44. Supermax (GA)

Supermax (GA) Member

Hi there

As a new memeber to lantus, and having gone through some similar issues with the first vet that saw Max, your story is an absolute inspiration to me, and gives me hope that we might get there too. Thanks so much for posting.

45. paige

paige Well-Known Member

(((((HIllary))))) Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT Congratulations to you and Maui.........here's to many many many more years at the Falls drinking24

46. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations on 1 year! I remember those first few days.....glad Maui continues to do so well. Thanks for all your help with Zoe and her asthma dx......I appreciate it. :mrgreen:

Sherry & Zoe

47. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Hillary! Congrats to you and Maui! THe FDMB never fails. It's the best place to be for cats with diabetes. Some vets are really nuts-thank goodness we have the board!!!

48. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

As having a cat newly diagnosed - I already depend on this message board for information. It has been wonderful already. Jez has set a personal goal to get this to the point where it can be controlled by diet!

Way to go Maui - you and your mommy are inspiring!

Debie & Jez

49. Shirley and Ragnar

Shirley and Ragnar Member

CONGRATULATIONS, HILLARY AND MAUI!!

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT​

Ragnar was OTJ for a year plus, too, in the 70s, and it was a wonderful year, despite kidney, liver, pancreas, IBD, ulcers -- all helped with meds and diet, and with Ragnar obviously feeling just fine!

We first found the Board when he was diagnosed - Dr. Jen recommended it, and I went straight there the first night. What a HUGE help!! Because of the Board, I remember his first month with diabetes as a warm and pleasant time, not the terrible, scary time it might have been otherwise. The first words I heard, or saw (she gave me a print-out) after his DX were "Take a deep breath..." :smile:

Ragnar's going OTJ was uneventful - I hardly realized it at first, and people kept saying he wasn't "really" OTJ for a longer time, then a longer time, and finally it had been almost 5 months and the "super-vet" who did his ultrasound said he was probably CURED...

He just dropped to 45 one day (April 28 09) at a spot check, and idiot that I was, I still gave him his shot that night - maybe a smaller dose, I don't remember. (He was on 2u of Vetsulin.) He got through it. It was a bittersweet time because Cindy swelled up with FTP on the same day he got that 45 - and we lost her in a few weeks, though her Daddy Ragnar is right here, looking the other way because I just gave him Cefa Drops. cat(2)_steam

Congrats, Hillary - isn't it wonderful to have them feeling well? And you've stayed on the Board and helped the rest of us so very, very, VERY much! This is a very recent photo of the guy who's gone up to one unit today - thanks to you, for sending a good meter that arrived last night! We couldn't have kept tabs on him well enough without it.

Blessings! drinking11

Shirley and Ragnar

[​IMG]

50. Hillary & Maui (GA)

he's beautiful - I have a think for black/white/tuxedo kitties!

51. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Oh Happy Anniversary =) What a happy day! Congrats =)

52. Weather Girl

Weather Girl Member

Happy day happy day!!! It's amazing going back and reading your old posts. It makes me and my newbie self feel like, wow... I can really get there too! My questions don't make me feel so dumb seeing such a seasoned pro asking them, too :) And your comment about wanting to become an expert so you can help people in the future too? Made me :mrgreen:

53. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Hillary,

I read those threads again because it seems like ages since you first arrived. I have tears of joy streaming down my face for you and Maui! What was so great was your determination. Once you got information, you loaded both barrels and came out shootin' on Maui's behalf. I was so impressed! You have been a terrific bean for Maui and I just couldn't be happier to share in this celebration. I know what an important milestone it is.

Your support for other folks on this board and for the newbies who arrive here, is so important. You make such a difference and you've paid it forward in a big way. I know you've probably saved many kitties from some of the same experiences you and Maui nearly went through. That's such a big thing to do!

Thanks, also, for your kind words when Calliope went to the bridge. I picked her up today and she is home, now. I know she is celebrating Maui's milestone, as well.

54. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Congratulations Maui and Hillary on your One Year Annifursary
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    You are so kind to stay around and help the beans on LLand!!!
    I wish Maui a wonderful many many many years at The Falls!!!
    [​IMG]

55. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Miss Maui, Now that you have 2 new cabana boys, I can take my time getting to the Falls! I'm so impressed that you're celebrating your one-year anniversary. I'm going to send you one of my special dishes and I hope you will like it (it'll be a bit late because I'm travelin' right now). CONTRATULATIONS to you and your Momabean. My momabean says that your story is fantastic. I'll see you one of these years at the Falls!

Chef Stu (and Ella, too: cograts Hillary, and thanks for helping all of us who are still toiling away!)

56. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

wow! I can't believe it's been a year already!
    CONGRATULATIONS HILLARY AND MAUI! drinking24

57. Linda and Crash (GA)

Linda and Crash (GA) Member

Here's the party I've been looking for! Guess I pushed past this page last night by accident.

Hillary - so glad to see you on here posting so much, and that Maui is still doing so well. Congrats on a marvelous year!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.