GA 5/16 Max

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MindyC, May 16, 2019.

1. MindyC

MindyC Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...243-10-153-pmps-125-2-89-3-5-89-4-102.214517/

There was still food left this morning from second dinner last night. No surprise since I gave him some 14% instead due to the continued drop by +2.

Neither cat seems interested in food this morning, and of course that’s only an issue for Max. I figure they ate something a bit late last night and just aren’t hungry. I delayed Max’s shot an hour, and he’d only gone up 10 points by then, so I reduced his shot to .5U. I have to go to work today.

I did put some 14% in front of him, and with the addition of some dried salmon he ate a few bites and licked up some gravy.

Should I have skipped this shot? I’m worried I’m going to come home to a bad situation. I’ll get a +1 before I leave for work.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Max will eat more for you. As long as he eats he should be okay. Maybe you can leave some more higher carb food out to tempt him to eat today.

MindyC likes this.
  3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

The AMPS is a good start, it may be that he'll have a flatter cycle, but if you can get an out the door test that might help reduce your concern. If you have a few different varieties/flavours, you could leave out some small samples of each like a mini-smorgasbord, I'm sure Max will find something later that he wants to snack on. Try having a bit of tuna juice on top, maybe some crumbled LC treats.

MindyC and Sonia & Leo like this.
  4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Stay safe today Max :bighug::bighug::bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  5. MindyC

MindyC Member

Thanks everyone. I did get a +1 and it was 172. So to recap, pmps+12 157, amps/+13 167, +1 172. So he's at least holding, even if he's not eating. The civie snuck in and ate what Max did not of the 14%, and Max did not eat very much. There was plenty of LC in the feeder when I left, and I changed the turn time to 2 hours later than usual (which will be +4) in the event that the civie comes back and scarfs up a bunch of the food.

The fact that the civie isn't interested in the regular food makes me think that maybe they were both just snacking all night and aren't hungry...but also makes me wonder if my daughter did something weird when she filled it last night and it tastes weird so they won't eat it. I don't know.

My gut is still saying something is off with Max, though. I don't know what it is, maybe he's just tired, but he's sluggish. No vomit last night that I saw anywhere. There was no pee in the bathroom this morning, but last night husband and I were discussing getting a nanny cam to monitor that bathroom because neither of us is 100% sure it's only Max peeing in there now. I saw Max use the litter box yesterday evening around dinner time, and then someone peed on the pad in the bathroom within 2 hours after that. Otherwise, he was acting normal last night--ate the 14% for second dinner without issue, and was snuggly with everyone who sat on the couch. His coat looks GOOD. His weight is good (up 1.5lbs since diagnosis!), the only thing I can point at that has changed has been the Adequan, and he only had two doses of that (2nd one was on Monday). We're not giving him more.

I'm going to try to kick it into gear now that I'm at work and get things done so I can get home as early as possible. Thankfully my job is really flexible, but I did have things that needed to be done today at the office. I work a half hour from home, so I can't just run home and check on him.

If he's still acting sluggish later, and still is off his food, do I skip his shot, continue the .5U, go back to the .75U (if his BG is higher than "usual") or...? It's a soccer practice night for the kids, so dinner/shot time can get a little crazy trying to get everyone ready and out the door. Shot needs to be at 6pm (which will be +11.5) or else 8pm and we're going to have schedule issues this weekend.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One thought is that Max's numbers are much better. The more he's better regulated, the less voracious his appetite will be. He's spending most of his time in blue and green numbers and the result may be his appetite is closer to normal. The best way to assess is to check his weight. If he's losing weight it's more of a concern than if his weight is stable.

When you noted on the spreadsheet that he peed in the bathroom, do you mean he peed outside of his box? If so, this may be a signal for a vet visit. He might have a UTI.

MindyC likes this.
  7. Christie & Maverick

Has the weather been getting hotter where you are located? I often find that both my kitties get a bit sluggish when it gets warmer in the house. Both my kitties recently turned their nose up at a food they had previously liked. So that brand/flavour is off the rotation at the moment. Might be worth finding a few different varieties to keep in the pantry for such occasions.

Ideally with the dosing methods here on this forum, you want to find a dose you can live with both am and pm, although there are other methods/ways of doing things out there. Shooting 1/2 hour early might be better than 1 1/2 hours late, IMO. If there is a lot going on this weekend, maybe go back down to 0.5u and see how things go. Would he be better with 0.75u, maybe...but that may require more monitoring, and ultimately, you have to find what works best for you and keeps Max safe.

MindyC likes this.
  8. MindyC

MindyC Member

Yes, peeing in the bathroom means outside the box. His box is located a few steps outside of that bathroom, and when he (or the civie) pees in the bathroom, it's always in the same spot between the toilet and the tub. This has always been Max's behavior if something is wrong--whether it be an infection or an issue with the litterbox, he's peed in the bathtub, on a bathroom rug, or more recently in that spot by the toilet. We've cleaned and cleaned with different cat urine cleaners (ceramic tile floor too!), and have resorted to putting puppy training pads in that spot to catch it. The civie has been on prozac for inappropriate urination for something like 7 years now. If he gets mad about something (sees a cat outside, his litterbox didn't get changed on time, whatever), he pees on blankets or in corners in the basement., but rarely in the same spot. It doesn't seem likely that the bathroom pee is from the civie, but it could be, which is why hubs and I were discussing putting a camera up just outside that bathroom to see who is doing it.

Max was just at the vet on 5/1 and received 10-day antibiotic shot at that time. We thought he might have a UTI then, but he peed in the carrier on the way to the vet so they couldn't test him. Due to age, diabetes, and that he was having intermittent rounds of peeing in the bathroom at that point, she treated him as if he had one. The bathroom/litterbox has been an on-going problem since the diabetes started (and a few times before that), and he's been treated for UTI's 3 times since February. We had about 2 weeks where no one peed in the bathroom, and then we started giving him the Adequan and everything went downhill.

9. MindyC

MindyC Member

OH...and at the last vet visit, because they had to give him a bath due to the mess he made in the carrier, the vet got a better than normal palpation of...everything, I guess (he's very sensitive about his hind quarters and they usually don't poke/prod too much because of that). Anyway, she said she felt a lump in/on/near his bladder or rectum that could be a cyst or tumor, or it could be a hard piece of poo that needed to move. He's not been having trouble pooping, that I've been able to tell, but it's not like I can follow him around all day. She said they'd check to see if it was still there the next time we were in and if it was, maybe get an xray or biopsy or something. I can take him in tomorrow if he's still acting "off."

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I hope you figure it out. What about putting a box in the bathroom. A small brand new box that won't have urine smell in it? After awhile the smell gets embedded in the plastic from them scratching and there isn't any way to eliminate it except a new box. Now that winter is over, after washing box let cook in the sun for a few hours. That helps kill some bacteria.

AmandaE and MindyC like this.
  11. MindyC

MindyC Member

Unfortunately, the only way to put a box in that bathroom is to make that bathroom unusable by humans, or put it in the bathtub. Since he's not jumping into the tub anymore, we're kind of stuck. We don't use clumping litter, so we do use liners, which keeps the boxes pretty unscratched and unsmelly. If we actually get some sun this weekend without rain, tho, I might try washing and sun bleaching.

AmandaE likes this.
  12. Christie & Maverick

How many LBs do you have? I like to have one for each plus a spare (ie. 3), I totally get that's not so easy to accomodate if you have a small space to deal with, but thought I would mention it. Older kitties have a harder time getting into the higher-sided LBs, and I have noted too that my fellas are very long-bodied, and in many cases they pee right back into the corners, if I were still using the old smaller boxes I had with my female kitties, I'm almost certain I'd be seeing pee land outside the box.

MindyC likes this.
  13. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I hope that everything goes well with Max and that he gets back to normal soon. :bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  14. MindyC

MindyC Member

We have 2 boxes, the biggest covered ones I can get. Max is also long-bodied, so we've always had the jumbo boxes. And yes, Max pees right inside the entrance, but it's high enough to catch it. I'm considering getting one of the domed Booda boxes that has the ramp up into it to make it easier on him to get into. Both boxes used to be in the basement, but several months ago we moved one up to the main floor for Max. Truman (civie) has been in Max's box a handful of times, but we're working on changing it more often. I've also tried changing litter types, but Truman is particular enough about his litter that it is making it questionable whether he's using Max's box or peeing on the pad. Also a reason for the camera.

I've thought about a second box on the main floor, but don't know where to put it. And I think my husband might lose his mind if I put a second one in the living room (which is where Max's box currently is). The current box is hidden in a litter box cabinet so it doesn't look like a box--I may take the one side off and have the guys in my shop cut the opening down to the "floor" so he doesn't have to step over it to get in there. He'll still have to step up into the box, tho, because the domed booda box won't fit into the cabinet.

Definitely a conundrum all the way around. Litterbox issues suck.

15. MindyC

MindyC Member

Damn...that title change hurts. We said goodbye to Max a little after 6pm tonight. Final verdict at the vet was congestive heart failure. Run free Max, we love you.cat_wings>o

16. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

I am so, so sorry it was Max's time to go to the rainbow bridge.

Fly free cat_wings>o

:bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  17. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Oh Mindy. I saw that GA and my heart dropped. I just finished reading through the condo hoping perhaps that it was a mistake. I am SO sorry it was Max's time to leave you. My heart is aching for the pain you and DH are feeling right now. It's so obvious you loved that beautiful boy something fierce. Sending you and DH many hugs, as well as vines of love, comfort, and peace. Take care of yourself. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  18. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

19. Christie & Maverick

((Mindy)) I'm so very sorry, I'm truly heartbroken and shocked for you, I came home from work eagerly anticipating an update on the day, I can barely see through my tears :bighug::bighug:

I will light a candle for sweet Max tonight, I hope you find some peace and comfort in the coming days. Fly free sweet Max :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

Sonia & Leo and MindyC like this.
  20. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Mindy,

I am shocked... this loss is so unexpected I can’t imagine how you’re feeling. Sudden loss is never easy, but it is good that Max isn’t suffering. Goodbye dear Max. cat_wings>o

I’m thinking of you and your family Mindy, please take care. :bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  21. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

22. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Mindy for the sudden loss of Max. Such awful news, my prayers are with you.

Fly free sweet Max :rb_icon: 26648.jpg :rb_icon:

MindyC likes this.
  23. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Fly free sweet Max. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  24. MindyC

MindyC Member

Thank you all. It’s been a rough evening. I was so hoping to see him a bit perkier when I got home, but no dice. He’d moved some, but not much. Not enough food was gone to make me think he’d eaten. His sugar was fine—133–but he was very lethargic. I picked him up to cuddle him, and he growled like something hurt. His back legs just kind of hung limp. I wanted to let the kids come home and say good bye, but I couldn’t let him suffer until tomorrow (vet would have been closed by the time they got home today). The adrenaline rush of being put in the carrier woke him up some, but after bloodwork and an xray we had to let him go. Oddly enough, in true Max fashion, his kidneys were 100% normal. His sugar was great, and the mass she could still feel in his abdomen didn’t show up on the xray...but the fluid around his heart was too much. Add in that he wasn’t eating and we knew it wasn’t going to be long, so we stopped the pain.

I brought him home the same day I started my first real job. He’s been with me longer than my husband. He was the nursemaid when anyone was sick. He welcomed guests, always. We will miss him very much.

25. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I am so sorry for you and Max. I haven't learned the lingo enough to realize what the GA in the title meant and was totally shocked when I read you had to put him down. :bighug::bighug::bighug: He is frolicking free now free from all his hurts.cat_wings>o

Krystina & Nelli and MindyC like this.
  26. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

OMG Mindy, what a shock to read this. I'm so very sorry, my heart goes out to you and your family. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  27. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Mindy))) I am so sorry it was Max's time to earn his wings. :bighug::bighug::bighug: Heart issues are hard to deal with, been there. And also such a shock. Take care of you.

MindyC likes this.
  28. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear, Mindy. I've been reading your condos intermittently and I'm so sad to hear the news. I hope you and your family are going well. We're always here to lend an ear if you need a place to remember Max.

MindyC likes this.
  29. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So very sorry that it was Max's time to leave you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  30. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

So very sorry to hear about Max! Prayers for you and your family.

Fly free Max!

MindyC likes this.
  31. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Max. For little critters they create big spaces in the heart.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  32. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

So sorry !!!:bighug::bighug: Fly Free Handsome little mancat_wings>o:rb_icon:

MindyC likes this.
  33. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((Mindy))))

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Fly free, Max and land softly.

MindyC likes this.
  34. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry for ur loss, fly free sweet Max

MindyC likes this.
  35. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Sending deepest sympathy to you and yours. Max was so lucky to have such a loving mom.

MindyC likes this.
  36. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Mindy, I'm so so sorry for you! What a loss, your little kitty that shared all your life! Goodbye little Max and fly free ! cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

MindyC likes this.
  37. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Tears, sorrow and, thank you Mindy for being so unselfish not to let Max suffer.
    Heartfelt,
    Krystina

MindyC likes this.
  38. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Wishing you comfort at this sad time.:bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  39. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the warmth of all the years spent together can start healing the hole in your heart.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    MindyC likes this.
  40. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

You gave Max a long life and a loving home. There is never a good time for them to leave us, but Max knew his time with you was precious. I am sorry for your loss. May your sweet kitteh fly free and land softly at the Bridge.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

MindyC likes this.
  41. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you with love, Nikki

MindyC likes this.