5/21 Leon AMPS 163, +6.25 36, +6.5 33, +7 33 - Hypo event?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SticklerX, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SticklerX

SticklerX New Member

Hi All-

Noticed Leon was acting really hungry this afternoon, so decided to test him and he tested really low.
    I'm not seeing any symptoms of Hypo aside from hunger and maybe a little lethargy, but his numbers are consistent upon retesting. Pupils are not dilated.
    He's walking fine, can follow my fingers (vision seems fine). He might a little cold but I haven't actually taken his temp...

He had a hypo event about a month ago where he was really "drunk" and then couldnt see. Pupils dilated, etc. You can see this on 4/20 on his chart.

I've given him about a 1/3 of a cup of kibble (Wellness Dry), as well as a handful of treats.

I'm trying to avoid giving him corn syrup, as he really hates that, but will continue to monitor for symptoms.

Any other suggestions, or could someone take a quick look at his numbers?

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Give him high carb wet food. Dry food takes longer to metabolize. You need to get him back over 50.

I highly recommend you start taking more tests rather than just at PS times. We dose based on the nadir, not on the PS number.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If Leon doesn't like karo/corn syrup, how about honey or table/maple syrup? If you don't have it already, I would buy some high carb canned food. The Fancy Feast Gravy lovers are one such options.

Please don't give Leon a 1 unit dose any more. It's too much insulin. On April 20th, he earned a reduction down to 0.75 units. Cat's have the unique ability for their pancreatic beta cells to heal, reducing the amount of insulin they need. Leon is responding well to the Lantus.

SticklerX likes this.
  4. SticklerX

SticklerX New Member

Wendy&Neko, Mandy & rex-

Thanks so much.
    I keep a Hypo kit with his high carb dry, Fancy Feast Gravy lovers x2, treats, and corn syrup + medicine syringe, as well as instructions (in case im not home and someone else has to administer to him).

At +7.5 he's testing thru at 46, so I think he's on the upswing with the dry I gave him. I'd prefer not to spike him, so will probably hold off on the "gravy lovers" for now.

Any chance you could walk me thru the reduction to 0.75U on the 20th?
    Aside from his Hypo event, it seems like he's still sitting pretty in the yellow. I realize that I dont have a lot of Nadir tests though....

Thanks again.

5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Any numbers in 30's call for an immediate reduction. That 26 on 4/20 is way too low. I think all the yellows you have been seeing is Leon bouncing from the lime greens you may not be catching.

Tonight, give 0.75u and monitor to make sure he is not dropping low. If you catch another lime green in the next several days, reduce again to 0.5u.

SticklerX likes this.
  6. SticklerX

SticklerX New Member

Thanks! Thats very helpful!
    I'll give it a shot and make more of an effort to catch the nadir over the coming days.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On the PM cycle of the 20th, Leon tested in the 20's. That's way too low. We determine what dose to give, based on how LOW it takes the cat. We don't want them below 50. People here use one of two dosing methods, Tight Regulation or Start Low Go Slow. Within each dosing method is a "reduction point". If a cat goes below that point, their dose is reduced. No matter which method you choose, if a newly diagnosed cat (less than 1 year since diagnosis) goes below 50, a dose reduction is earned.

SticklerX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.