5/25 Carter: AMPS 112 (AM Cycle Details Inside) PMPS 117 +1 188 +2 139 +3 108 +4 74 +5 58 +5.5 55

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erica & Carter, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Yesterday.

Another low PS for Carter today. Of course it's on my only day off and I'm exhausted/need sleep lol

Need advise if ok to shoot? I will be home all day, will probably just have to set alarms for myself.

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Since you are home today and can monitor and assuming you have supplies: test strips, MC and HC food I would go for it. Vyktors Mom explained the other night that these lower numbers are a gift.

3. Erica & Carter

Yeap, have supplies! Energy? Not so much haha but I'll push through.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Go for it!
    ETA: It's not to different than the number you shot at the night before last night.

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Get a +1 and +2 to see how active the cycle will be.

Erica & Carter likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck. I hope Carter gives you a safe surf today.

7. Erica & Carter

True. And he surfed blues/yellows that night instead of dropping, maybe that will happen again who knows. I'll start by getting a +1.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

A lot of times when you shoot low, a cat will stay fairly flat.

9. Bobbie And Bubba

The only difference with this cycle than the one the night before last is that that one was rising when you shot, this one is lower, so be vigilant.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  10. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Have a great and safe cycle!

11. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Here's a link where Libby talks about shooting low or falling numbers as being a gift post number 6, good shooting.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ging-protocols-good-idea.111088/#post-1555114

I agree with Bobbie though we don't know whether Carter was falling into amps or just flat, looking at last nights numbers I think possibly flat, but who knows?
    I would get a +1 and see what that tells you, it might give you a good indication of how the cycle is going to pan out. He cleared that bounce pretty fast last night, dropping from 373 to 154 in two hours.

Question is will he hold it and drop into green or will the speed of the drop trigger another bounce? ;):cool:

12. Erica & Carter

Thanks Sandi!

13. Erica & Carter

True. All these numbers are very new to us. I'm still wrapping my head around him clearing a bounce in one cycle versus 6-8 cycles lol

Gill & George likes this.
  14. Erica & Carter

+1 91

Gave 1tsp LC FF to start surfing. He also had his 1 can LC FF breakfast an hour ago.

Once he gets under 100 I usually like to check every 30 minutes but since it's still early should I wait an hour?

15. carfurby (GA)

He's being fairly flat. I think you're okay to wait until +2 to test again.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Love it! And good that you gave a little LC snack to encourage the surf. I check more often when he is under 100 also, especially because you are in new territory. You are really doing a great job with Carter in such a short amount of time, Erica :)

17. Gill & George

Nice +1, :D

I would probably go for a +1.5 (testaholic here), because when BFG got a lower +1 than PS he would sometimes dive by +2, he gave a couple of shocking +2's in our journey. Getting the +1.5 gave me time to give him another snack in case he decided to pick up the pace of the slide.

With Carter clearing that bounce last night and continuing to drop I wonder whether he is going to pick up some momentum and if you can catch him early and slow him up you can get him to surf more easily.

18. Bobbie And Bubba

Good point, Gill.

19. Erica & Carter

+1.5 73

I know you want to give LC and avoid HC/MC (or you're TRYING to abort the cycle i.e. if you're at work etc) unless near or below 50 but he's dropping pretty quickly so should I still continue with LC or MC?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  20. Erica & Carter

@Bobbie And Bubba @carfurby @Gill & George

Tagging you just in case.

I gave 1 tsp LC FF again while I wait to see if you guys advise to use any MC or higher on the account of him dropping so fast in the first 1.5 hours, even though he isn't under 50.

21. Erica & Carter

Also thank you so much! I'm really happy to see some improvement.

22. Bobbie And Bubba

Wow, glad you got the 1.5 test :) I would give an 1/8 of a can of MC to slow him down some.

23. Erica & Carter

Okie dokie, just fed him that now in addition to the LC I fed about 5 minutes ago.

24. Bobbie And Bubba

You might want to put in the cell how much of what food you gave him. That is good information for you so that you know just how much that the MC brought him up. It will be a nice reference for you when he drops again on you (and yes, there will be a next time );)

25. Erica & Carter

I did. :) Always do if I'm the one here, if my wife is she usually just records the times and readings and tells me what food she gave in synopsis lol

26. Erica & Carter

Do I want to continue with MC if he keeps decreasing?

And if by giving him MC, would I be steering him away from going under 50 in the event that his body is telling me he needs a reduction?

27. Bobbie And Bubba

I suggested the MC because it is so early in the cycle. We don't what to spike him up too high, just encourage him to surf. You didn't really need to sleep today, did you???

28. Gill & George

I would get a test in at +2 given that he dropped 20pts in 30 min.

We can now see what the MC does for him, I probably would have done the same. George tended to need MC if he dropped early in the cycle, LC wouldn't do it, but ECID so I guess we will find out if MC works for Carter or not;)

29. Erica & Carter

LOL apparently not. I'll probably go back to sleep when he's in safe numbers. I have so much stuff I need to get done but I'm so tired and this is my only off day this week so I need to catch up on sleep. I only average maybe 6 hours every night normally.

30. Gill & George

Good question, and one I asked myself when I was advised to do the same thing, I don't know if you have read it before, but there is an interesting discussion by some of the more experienced members on this thread about feeding the curve

31. Bobbie And Bubba

If he continues to drop after you test again, I would give 1 tsp of the gravy off the HC food. Let's hope the MC keeps him surfing.
    If it were me, I would try not to let him drop below 50 and see if you can just keep him in a nice safe green cycle today to get his body used to it. Otherwise, he just might bounce big time on you, which he still could after this cycle but, it would be good to let him hang in a nice green range. Maybe @Gill & George or @carfurby might have a different opinion.

32. Erica & Carter

Yeah so far when I could monitor LC has done the trick but he's never dropped this fast starting at +1 given that is the lowest PS number I've shot. But when I've been at work and unable to monitor I've added some HC or MC to the mix to to air on the side of caution if we aren't going to be home for 8+ hours. Yesterday the MC spiked him up by AM, but then then on 5/23 my wife came home and he was 71 so she gave him like 1/4 a can of FF HC AND a spot of honey on it (she panicked even though he was +7, so pretty much at or past nadir) and by PMPS he was still only 91, so it didn't spike him up. Thought that was odd. My wife can usually check on her lunch which is typically his nadir but it's not gauranteed.

Gill & George likes this.
  33. Erica & Carter

Okay should I just give the gravy by itself or ad it to some LC?

34. Erica & Carter

I shall read it! About to test again.

35. carfurby (GA)

I think I'd try and keep him from going below 50, but if he does it's not a problem. That way you'll know he earned the reduction.

36. Erica & Carter

+2 56

I'll give some gravy now.

37. Gill & George

I would also opt for the gravy now, even though technically he hasn't dropped below 50 which is when we usually do break out the HC, he is very early in the cycle, don't over do it just a teaspoon will be fine. You may need him to eat more later.
    Test at +2.5

38. carfurby (GA)

I'm a work, so I don't know if I can stay on. You should test again in 15 to 20 minutes. It looks like he wants that reducie.

39. Gill & George

I can hang with Erica and Carter for the time being Carla.:)

Perhaps 15-20 min might be better than waiting 30.

40. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad you're here Gill.

Erica & Carter and Gill & George like this.
  41. Erica & Carter

Thank you for the help!

42. Bobbie And Bubba

When you aren't going to be around, it's always a good idea to err on the side of caution. Today, gives you an opportunity to gather more information about how he responds to lower numbers and food.

43. Erica & Carter

True!

59 @ +2.25

More HC? or MC?

44. Bobbie And Bubba

I think I would do another 1sp of HC only because it's still so early in the cycle.

ETA on second thought, if it's only been 20 minutes since the HC, do MC, sometimes it can take 30 for it to kick in.

45. Gill & George

I would give MC at this point as he appears to be slowing down and check in 15 min.
    It is early in the cycle so there is also an argument for HC, the choice is yours. (I was always a bit conservative with HC for George as too much of it gave him the runs:eek:)

46. Bobbie And Bubba

I hope Erika sees that I ETA to say do the MC ;)

47. Erica & Carter

I just gave him 1tsp HC before seeing the posts. Should I retest in 30 or 15 now?

48. Erica & Carter

LOL nope. :joyful:

49. Gill & George

I think you would be alright to wait 30 minutes. But if that makes you uncomfortable, test sooner.

50. Bobbie And Bubba

No worries, sorry I second guess that. I have to run out for abut 1/2 hour and then I will be home and will keep checking on you. How are you holding up?

51. Erica & Carter

I'll wait 30. That's in another 13 minutes so I've already bypassed 15 anywho.

52. Erica & Carter

No worries! I'm good, only thing I feel like I second guess myself on is the HC and MC rule just because it's so early in the cycle still, so it's nice to have confirmation!

53. Erica & Carter

+2.75 71 Gave 1tsp MCj ust to see how he responds and if he responds well I'll probably go back to LC next round.

54. Gill & George

The General Rule is for HC below 50, at this point we are taking action to prevent a hypo, these are numbers that need our attention.

But as you have already found out there's more to it than that.We can use varying levels of carbs in different situations
    • when we won't be there to monitor and we are worried they may drop
    • if we need to sleep, there are only so many PJ parties beans can handle
    • and if we are trying to manage the curve when we get low numbers early
    We want to try not to give too much carb early on so we don't abort the cycle altogether, how much it takes to do this will more than likely be cat dependent and cycle dependent. Over time you will get a feel of what works for Carter, the more notes you keep on days like to day of what you fed and when the easier it will be for you to work out.
    I always found it helpful to look back at a day like the one you are having with Carter today, and ask myself (out loud and on the post) what could I have done different to achieve a different outcome?
    Folk would give their 2 cents worth and it helped me recap the day and take on board what I had learnt.

55. Bobbie And Bubba

It's all experimental the first few times you are having a cycle like this one. I like Gill's idea to ask later for others to share their insight as to what could have been done differently. When you get a chance, can you update his SS?

56. Erica & Carter

Good points.

In previous cycles when he has gone green he usually hasn't until at least +2 so it was surprising to see it at +1.

57. Bobbie And Bubba

HA! You beat me to the punch on updating.

58. Erica & Carter

It should be updated? Unless google docs is being funny, but it's updating from my end whenever I've been typing in the values.

59. Erica & Carter

Oh okay LOL I thought maybe I switched it off from public viewing or something.

60. Bobbie And Bubba

If Carter's number is up or the same next test, I would hold off giving any more food, just to see what he'll do without the influence of more food but, I would check on him in 30 minutes.

61. Erica & Carter

+3.25 @ 70

LOL once again, didn't read in time. I gave him 1tsp LC but I'll withhold food next test. I'm gonna run and have a shower then test again.

62. Bobbie And Bubba

So he's holding with the food. The LC was a good choice for now. Your instincts were good. ;)

Gill & George and Erica & Carter like this.
  63. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Wishing you a safe cycle today. Interesting to learn how these kitties respond...always learning something!

Dawn :bighug:

64. Erica & Carter

Thank you!! :)

65. Gill & George

Sorry had to pop out to the 'garden' we are getting some landscaping done we have a man with a digger in and he needed some instruction.:rolleyes:

good job with updating the ss. and keeping notes with the fuds. It may just be me, but I would probably make note of the time you gave the extra fuds, its clear now, but if you ever look back at it may take some working out :confused:
    so something like
    dropping gave 1tsp ff LC @+1
    still dropping gave 1tsp LC 1tsp MC@+1.5 and so on
    It's just a suggestion, I just know that for me it would be a HA looking back and I figured if anyone else was looking at it they would find it easier to follow. Feel free to ignore me if you think I am being uptight:)

I had a feeling he was going to drop early this morning, he was clearing the bounce from last night at quite a rate, and when you shoot when they are clearing the bounce it's like they have there rollerskates on and they swoosh on down that hill!
    upload_2016-5-25_17-30-14.png
    It's not a bad thing to shoot when they are falling, or breaking a bounce, if you are going to be around you can, as you have seen, manage the situation with monitoring and food, and it can sometimes lead to a break through in terms of BGL

It looks like he may be ready for his surfboard now, paws crossed.

Remember, you need to look for at least two hours of BG staying flat or rising without the influence of food to be sure that he is done with dropping now. There BG can bobble about a bit, but sometimes they can drop significantly once the effect of the HC has worn off, the two hour thing is a safety measure.

I'll bet Carter is enjoying all the fuds:cat::cat::cat:

Attached Files:

66. Bobbie And Bubba

Exactly. Eventually Erika will get a nap in ;)

67. Gill & George

I think Carter is reading his condos, saw that the bean needed a nap, and ...... the rest is history LOL:p

68. Erica & Carter

No worries!

I've been updating my comments section similiar to that, minus putting the +1 next to the notes, because I just figured I could look back and line the timing up to know which food I gave when but I see where it might make more sense for others to read it! I was afraid of writing a novel and having this big, awkward block of cells on my SS lol

I just got out of the shower, so I'm about to test 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes but if he's stayed the same or gone up, I'll withold food.

69. Gill & George

70. Erica & Carter

68 @ +4

I'll hold and retest in 30. However his "lunch" snack typically happens around 11:30am (in 30 minutes) so should I go ahead and feed him that still around that time?

71. Gill & George

I would hold of the food then and give him his snack a little later once the two hours are up.

72. Bobbie And Bubba

With all the food on board so far, I wouldn't give it but that's just me.

73. Erica & Carter

74. Bobbie And Bubba

Going to go walk my dogs and see you in 30 mins.

75. Erica & Carter

Thank you guys! If you guys need to do stuff please don't feel like you have to keep me company! I don't want to take away from your day!

76. Gill & George

It's no bother, I am in this afternoon, been nipping in and out and getting on with stuff whilst watching for your posts. We like to keep each other company, dealing with dropping BG can be scary if you are all on your own, especially when you are new to the dance.
    We've all been there and at some point someone did a virtual bit of hand holding for us and so I just see it as paying it forward.:):)

77. Erica & Carter

:):)

70 @ +4.5 no food. Witholidng again.

78. Bobbie And Bubba

Beautiful! And I am about today as well, doing laundry, scraped chewing gum off of the inside of the dryer, (thanks DH, we almost had minty fresh towels) ;), walked the dogs and on to vaccumig. Gill did a lot of virtual hand holding with me when I first arrived in L & L, and that 's what we do, we pay it forward. :bighug: See you in a bit.

79. Erica & Carter

98 @ +5

Going to withold food again, test in an hour. Will be 2 hours of no food by then, and then I'll feed him his lunch. :)

80. Bobbie And Bubba

Sounds good! You might even get a nap in, LOL

81. Erica & Carter

Haha I'll probably wait until after his lunch to get my nap in just to be safe. I'm hungry myself but I need sleep!! :confused:

82. Erica & Carter

+6 68

Gave 1/2 can LC FF lunch. His nadir should be right now and usually he heads up by +7. Recheck in an hour.

83. Bobbie And Bubba

Looking good, he is surfing. :D

84. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Wow, Erica! What a day you're having. You've all been so busy keeping Carter surfing, I'll be no one has stopped to think how wonderful this is. Keeping him in these healing numbers so long is very, very good. The pancreas can heal and Mr Liver can learn that green numbers are good and he doesn't have to send out the troops every time Carter goes there! Lucky Carter picked your day off to do it (although too bad about your plans to catch up on sleep). Good job, everyone! :D

85. Erica & Carter

Typo, meant to say 62 last time, not 64.

+7 84

86. Erica & Carter

I think I should be safe to nap now (I know he had food but he is heading out of nadir?)

87. Erica & Carter

Thanks! I'm thrilled. I know all the lack of sleep will be worth it if I can get him into remission slowly but surely and make up the extra hours of sleep then. :)

88. Erica & Carter

I saw a story of Facebook earlier today about a house fire that happened in my home city (Vancouver) and that 10 animals passed away. It was the home of a well-known dog trainer. I just found out one of my friend's dogs was boarding with her, and passed away in the fire. This is so sad. Times like this make me wish I could be close to my friends and not 2000 miles away from home.

This is the article:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/burnaby-house-fire-dogs-rescue-1.3598736

89. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

How sad. Chris lost her drooler to a kennel fire when she and China were out of town. Thankfully, her other kitties weren't there at the time or it could have been exponentially more heartbreaking.

BTW, Carter doesn't appear to want to get off his surfboard any time soon. :D

90. Erica & Carter

Aw really? Ugh that's awful! I board my dog on occasion and I can't imagine. This girl was my friend's friend, as my friend is visiting her family in Nebraska right now. She just celebrating getting her Canadian Permanent Residency, her dog that passed away finally recovered from a torn ACL injury from agility that took over a year to heal. She's pretty devastated. Bizzy was a sweet girl, she'd always hangout with us whenever we were watching movies etc. Her friend lost 3 of her own dogs in the fire as well. Terrible tragedy. They're investigating what started the fire, but it apparently originated in the basement.

+8 102
    Grabbed another test because I am somehow still awake, but napping now!

91. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Awesome day for Carter :D- I hope you are geting that nap now.

It's so sad about the house fire. Tell your friend she has a bunch of strangers thinking of her and giving her cyber hugs.

92. Bobbie And Bubba

How very horrible, I can't even imagine something like this. Sending lots of healing vines to your friend's heart and all those you suffered loss also.

93. Bobbie And Bubba

This is awesome! He is loving being on the surfboard! I didn't get an alert for this post, just decided to see if you had posted. Glad I did.

94. Bobbie And Bubba

How horrible for Chris!

95. Erica & Carter

Carter is napping, unfortunately I haven't been able to lol

Attached Files:

96. Bobbie And Bubba

That's just not fair! It will be interesting to see what PMPS you get. ;)

97. Erica & Carter

117 @ PMPS!

I shot again. Carter just doesn't want me to get any sleep today/tonight lol

98. Erica & Carter

To summarize for the day for those who didn't see earlier, Carter had a great cycle!

AMPS: 112 +1 91 +1.5 73 +2 56 +2.25 59 +2.75 71 +3.25 70 +4 68 +4.5 70 +5 98 +6 62 +7 84+8 102

Now another low blue @ 117!

Will get a +1 and go from there. Maybe he will want to stay flat instead.

99. Gill & George

He's had a beautiful cycle.
    Hope tonights is just as good.
    Remember to get that +1;)

100. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Might be time to put on the coffee. :coffee::coffee: Got plenty of strips and high carb food?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.