5/27 Loudogg - AMPS 157 / 154 NS +2 211 +5.5 418 PMPS 373

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018 Condo

Good morning all!
    Just tested Lou and his AMPS is 157! This morning will be his 4th dose of glargine. Do I still give his full dose or is there a NS number?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I will be home today to monitor him.

2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

• Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options: a.) give nothing; b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose); c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value.
    • Taken from the info on L & L

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Morning Becky!! I was just reading the SLGS sticky as well. When I posted originally, I figured I'd let him eat while I waited for a response. After I got the bowls ready, I realized I should probably wait and test him without food after 20-30 minutes. Now I feel like such a jerk because they can smell the food and are wondering what the (&#@!! is going on.. Ugh. :facepalm: I've got 6 minutes until the 30-minute mark!

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

He is at 154 after 30 minutes. I just decided to feed him while I decide to either skip completely or give him 0.5 or 1u.

5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I’d say good call! Better to be safe. See where he goes after eating. They know when it’s time to eat! I hate that part too...

6. Amanda and a Loudogg

Seriously, what a jerk my buddy is! I'm home today, why can't he work with me?! :confused: I can't make up my mind. I know he is going to need insulin and so I want to give him some. What stops me is I literally have no basis for how he'll do today (that darn depot). So as soon as I decide to give him 0.5u, I think of that and pause. Now I realize we are an hour after shot time... it's probably time to call it a NS and move on.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Amanda - could you do me a favour and put SLGS in your signature if that's the dosing method you plan to follow.

The depot is starting to build and you are starting to see those better numbers. I might suggest going back to 3.25 units if you are uncomfortable shooting lower numbers. It's better to find a dose you can shoot twice a day than skip a shot. Note that the part of the SLGS sticky quoted above starts "in the beginning". As you gather data on how Lou handles Lantus, you will eventually shoot lower numbers, as low as 90 on SLGS. But as you said, once you get more data.

8. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I wish I knew more but I get you! You have a day to monitor & now this! See what today holds...

9. Amanda and a Loudogg

Oh good call! I had thought I had put that in there, but I guess I hadn't. Signature has been updated!

I figured I should have given him insulin today, since I was home... but since no one else was online for advice and his next BG after stalling was lower, I figured I should follow the guidelines. Do you think I should have given him the full 3.5u this morning or would you have given a reduced dose? I'd like have an idea for next time. I hate the idea of skipping if not really necessary.

Thanks so much for your support today Becky!! I really appreciate it! :bighug:

10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Since you were home to monitor I would have given the 3.5 to see how he responds. You will get lots more opportunities to shoot low so don’t stress and enjoy your day.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

157 is a shootable number, when you feel comfortable doing so, and can monitor. 154 and 157 are the same number with meter variance. Sometimes they can drop significantly if they are waiting for food and hungry, but that wasn't the situation today. There is nothing wrong shooting a dropping number, but it can mean a more active cycle. The depot insulins are good at keeping numbers flat if the preshots are lower. Take a look at some of the other posts here and see what happens when people shoot a blue number.

Having said all that, you have to feel comfortable shooting blue. It's great that Lou is giving you that opportunity already. He will do so again soon. And it's good you got a +2 today. It's good data. The Lantus onset is usually +2 to +3, so that gives you an idea where he would have been when the insulin took effect.

12. Amanda and a Loudogg

Grrr, I knew I should have dosed, but it's amazing how I lose all confidence and/or logic during that preshot window. :banghead: Oh well. I just tested him and he's at 418, which was the spike I was waiting for. I'll get back on track tonight. Thank you for all of your help and information ladies. I appreciate it more than you know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.