5.31 Jane is 131 at +13 --- what to do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Just off an OTJ trial that stayed in the 200s and 300s -- gave her no daylight under the zero line and 13 hours later, she's 131. wanna see a crazy spreadsheet? have a look.

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Jane is 131 at +13 --- what to do?

OMG, well I am sorry but its been so long since I have shot insulin, but what a Spreadsheet! Janies tryin ta drive momma crazeee!!!!!!

Even tho her numbers are diabetic numbers Off insulin, they are more stable-you arent getting reds and blacks.

It looks a little like Merlyns SS on PZI Idexx. My theory was that his duration was so inconsistent, that sometimes, one shot would be working with one or two others, leading to low numbers, and then there would be a time when there was no overlap and almost no insulin going on. Some rebound but not totally, just really wonky duration.

My suggestion, humble as it may be, is that maybe a U40 insulin like BCP PZI might work better so you can try even smaller doses, using U100 syringes.

On the surface, it looks like even .25 is too much insulin. Its (like Merlyn) either rebound or wonky duration.

3. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

Those numbers are all over the place. Have you ever considered trying a different insulin? Or is there any reason your bottle of Lantus could have been compromised? I'm a Levemir user so maybe someone can make sure you are handling Lantus correctly. You always use fresh syringes, right?

About your question of what to do though... I am far too inexperienced. Sorry! Hope someone comes along and gives you some noteworthy advice soon as your SS looks pretty frustrating. My thoughts are with you!

-Mike

4. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

I wish it were a simple mistake. But with a 23-year-old human Type 1 dx 13 years ago and how many years of Jane's direbeasties, we're pretty well schooled. Insulin's always in the fridge; .3cc needles, fresh one every shot, using a jeweler's magnifying glass for accuracy. She was on a low-carb home-cooked diet for two years after cancer surgery, beenin diabetic remission since three months after onset. Sigh.

Jane's just different. But I sure do thank you for your good wishes and thoughts.

Lisa, I'm so glad to see you here.

The ER vet started her on 1u vetsulin and it almost killed her that night -- idiot. lantus was her first insulin, back in 2006, and worked beautifully on a low dose. Couple months later with a switch to LC canned and she was OTJ.

SHe's dealing with CRF now, and a wacked-out thyroid, which is what threw her off her longgggggg honeymoon.

I don't really know anything about insulins other than lantus for her - human child on humulin and humalog. Ideas? Lev?

She was 191 at +15, so i gave her an even zero dose and cracked open the sliced turkey in gray-veeeee. she's chomped a little of it. but she's so crazily sensitive that i'm scared to go to sleep! i'll be so sorry when my head hits my desk tomorrow, huh.

5. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Janie sure knows how to run you around, Kris. I don't even know what to suggest as far as the insulin - both dose and brand. You could try Lev but honestly it has such a similar action to Lantus that I'm not sure I would switch.

6. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Kris, and of course, you too, most diva of divas, Princess Jane,

Absolutely no thoughts or suggestions, but am sending massive doses of hugs to you and your wonder girl!

Oh, and lots of love, too!
    Deb and Nikki -- with Giz forever in my heart...

7. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Luke isn't 23 already, is he? Donna

8. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

You're right Donna -- Luke is 18. My stepson is 23 now - we had full custody. He's actually launched and making his way -- he's a mechanic at a Chevy dealership with an apartment he pays for -- and a cell phone he pays for -- and a car he's p[aying for -- and food he pays for! Wheeeeeee!

:D

9. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Lev will be a lot like Lantus.

I would agree with getting PZI from BCP -- you can specify U40, U50 or U100 concentrations. If you get U40 and use U100 syringes, you can use the conversion chart (don't have the link handy)

U40 in U100
    units = marks
    0.2u = 0.5 mark
    0.4u = 1 mark
    0.6u = 1.5 mark
    0.8u = 2 mark

this would make it easier for you to measure doses of 0.1, 0.2 units

10. Dale

Dale Member

Kris,
    I mentioned once that my newly adopted kitty was on Lantus and couldn't even tolerate .1 units of it without going high and low and everywhere inbetween. Took her off Lantus, put on BCP. She was able to tolerate .25 of BCP. She's now off insulin. As others are encouraging, I too would suggest going to another insulin. It's certainly worth a try.

11. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Looks like that's what we'll have to do. Her spreadsheet is absolutely nuts today. I gave her exactly on the zero line when she was 166 this AM - she's up to 271 at +4. We had such a good experience with lantus when she was first dx..... go figure. that's my janie! :roll:

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kris, I have no advice but wanted you to know I love you and Janie and am praying this all gets worked out. Please give her highness some chin scritches and belly smooches from me.

Jeanne

13. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Jeanne, I will even smooch the sweet little warm spot on her janiebelly that was shaved at the vet -- it's tres delicious!!!!! -- and tell her it's from you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.