+5 @ 57, possible 911?!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We all need help when those dang bounces happen! Even though we may know we don't adjust based on it, it's hard to remember! :)

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Also, I think this entire cycle is a bit of a bounce...he usually goes lower during a cycle, but has stayed higher than normal today. That's just my thinking though...

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He went low last night and is busy overreacting (bouncing) today. Here's how it works:
    1. BG goes low OR lower than usual OR drops too quickly.
    2. Pita's body panics and thinks there's danger (OMG! My BG is too low!).
    3. Complex physiologic processes take glycogen stored in the liver (I think of it as "bounce fuel"), convert it to glucose and dump it into the bloodstream to counteract the perceived dangerously low BG.
    4. These processes go into overdrive in kitties who are bounce prone and keep the BG propped up varying lengths of time (AKA bouncing).
    5. Bounce prone kitty repeats this until his body learns that healthy low numbers are safe. Some kitties are slow learners.
    6. Too high a dose of insulin can keep them bouncing over and over until the " bounce fuel" runs out and they crash - ie., have a hypo episode. That's why we worry so much about kitties that have had too high a starting dose prescribed by the vet and the owner isn't home testing.
    7. Many vets have little/no understanding of the bouncing phenomenon.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Bouncy but pretty good! :)

5. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! +8 was just 328

6. Caitlin M

Wow, that's a bunch of info! Ok, so hopefully his body will learn that where he was last night was ok.
    It will be hard to remember! But you guys are awesome with reminders and support. I agree, he is higher than he usually seems to be. Good insight!

7. Kris & Teasel

It's helpful to have a general understanding of how bouncing works. Less of a mystery then ...

8. Caitlin M

I'm sure it will take a few times of being able to really see it for me to grasp better. So as far as this curve goes, I'll make a note of bouncing due to yesterday. I'm sure it'll be best to do another curve in a couple weeks when he's hopefully more stable from the 2 units since I don't anticipate upping his dose anytime soon.

ShipsCat and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Kris, next time I need to explain bouncing I'm stealing your list ;) I'll give credit, but that's such a good explanation!

10. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I also am making a copy of this. Kris has explained this SO well!! [​IMG]

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Anytime, Rachel. It was something I worked out for myself in the early days when I was bamboozled by bouncing. :)

12. Caitlin M

+10 was just at 310. Wooooo! We made it!

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I missed lots of excitement! Maury and I played the staring game too when he had his lowest day. Congrats on the curve :bighug:

14. Caitlin M

Haha it was pretty funny laying there, waiting... Thank you!

15. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Caitlin- great job getting your curve done! Hopefully tonight will be a little less stressful for you! Is tomorrow another snow day? Or will the roads be clear by then?

16. Caitlin M

Thank you so much! No snow day for me. All the towns around my school are off, but not us! I'm already hoping tonight will be better. Plan to do another +5 before what will hopefully be bed!

17. Caitlin M

How soon does food affect these guys? I began giving them half a can of the new Friskies with one of the smaller cans of FF, yesterday. Today, I've seen Pita drink a bit more water than I usually observe as well as urinating. I'll give it a couple more days but I'm wondering if the Friskies isn't agreeing with him?

18. Yong & Maury GA

I'm guessing wet food can act pretty quick since we can use it to steer. Dry food takes a little longer to kick in. Do you add water to the wet food?

19. Caitlin M

No I haven't ever with the FF. I can try with the Friskies? It's a bummer cuz it's cheaper but I know there are a few more carbs compared to the FF

20. Yong & Maury GA

Try just a couple tablespoons =). If the food wasn't agreeing with his tummy, I suspect you'd see diarrhea or vomitting. Also, how increased is the water intake and umm pee cakes? Lol. Couldn't think of another way to put that.

Djamila likes this.
  21. Caitlin M

Well, yesterday I saw him urinate once, drink maybe 3 times or so. Today he's used the box 3 times and drank around 5

22. Kris & Teasel

Usually they show GI distress - nausea, vomiting, diarrhea - if a food doesn't agree with them.

23. Caitlin M

None of that! He's actually been acting perfectly normal other than the slight water/urinating increase. Am I just being a paranoid mom?

24. Kris & Teasel

Maybe just a little bitty bit ... ;)

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  25. Caitlin M

Thank you for the honesty! Haha it is a bit strange though that they've increased :p

26. Yong & Maury GA

Maury visits his water bowl a couple more times when he is feeling good but he might only take a couple licks. Maybe Pita is doing something similar?

Caitlin M likes this.
  27. Kris & Teasel

Maybe because of his higher bounce numbers? I've seen Teasel at the water bowl occasionally when he's bounced into the stratosphere.

Djamila and ShipsCat like this.
  28. Caitlin M

I'll go with that!

29. Caitlin M

Oooh, that's also a possibility. Oookaaay! I was a bit bummed cuz I like saving some money where I can. So that's good :cool:

30. Kris & Teasel

Teasel gets Friskies and has no problems at all GI wise.

Caitlin M likes this.
  31. Caitlin M

I will begrudgingly accept my crazy mom status :smuggrin:

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  32. Kris & Teasel

All of us are crazy cat parents! :D

33. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Haha you fit right in Caitlin!

34. Caitlin M

Tonight's +5 was just 176. I think I'm good to sleep when I want?!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  35. Yong & Maury GA

I would :). I'm only going to get a +2.5 tonight because the sleet /freezing rain hitting my window woke me up multiple times last night lol.
    Must... try for... +3

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  36. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Can you get in one more test? Say +5.5? Just to make sure he's not going to take a deep plunge.

37. Caitlin M

I
    I can, yes :)

38. Caitlin M

Just did a +5.75 and it was 197. Goodnight all!

Kris & Teasel and ShipsCat like this.
  39. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Looks great, sleep well!

Caitlin M likes this.
  40. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad you were able to get some sleep then!

41. Caitlin M

Ye
    Yes indeed! I also just did a +2.75 before I left. Looking good I think!

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  42. Kris & Teasel

I see that his bounce was short lived and he was into blues overnight. :)

ShipsCat and Caitlin M like this.
  43. Caitlin M

Not sure if this is another bounce or just a weird thing today, but his PMPS was just 470. Going to give a full 2 units and monitor a couple times before bed at least. I also realized after the fact that I should have done a second test strip, but didn't think of it at the time..o_O

44. Kris & Teasel

R
    Probably still bouncing from the recent greens. It's only one number. The trend is more important.

45. Caitlin M

Thank you! Heading out to get him more testing supplies and will test him when I'm home.

46. Caitlin M

I also hope I'm not jinxing myself, but wanted to give a HUGE thank you to everyone! I was just holding him and he really is doing so much better than when I first started all if this. It makes me incredibly happy to see and I am extremely grateful for all the support. Just feeling lovey I think :kiss:

47. Kris & Teasel

We all appreciate the help and support we find here. This is a hard disease to manage - many hands make light work, as they say. :)

ShipsCat and Djamila like this.
  48. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We've all found so much great help here! This group really does make the difference.

ShipsCat, Djamila and Caitlin M like this.
  49. Caitlin M

Alrighty all, I need advice. Just did a +5 and he's at 120. I'm going to go to bed, but should I wake up and do another +? Thanks!

50. Caitlin M

IMG_20170315_213123.jpg
    I came down from brushing my teeth and was greeted by this marvelous creature. Had to share! He also wants to know if he gets more treats for a poke later...?

51. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think you'll probably be fine...maybe grab one now just to check...he has gone down pretty far but since he's almost at nadir he might not go further....

52. Djamila

What a handsome kitty!

Here's how I think about it: How much room does he have to drop safely (in this case, about 70 points). How much longer until he hits nadir? (probably just did, maybe another 30ish minutes?). If those indicate he's safe, I would go to bed.

Also, I tend to test as little as I safely can just because while Sam is good about it, it does bother him. Others take a more active approach to testing. You have to go with what you think is best.

He has come down a long way from that pre-shot. @Rachel, I was just about to post this and saw your message come in. I'm wondering what you recommend when there is a big drop like that, but the numbers are still quite safe: would you recommend a snack to try to avoid bouncing? or just let it go?

Caitlin M likes this.
  53. Caitlin M

+6 was just at 111

54. Caitlin M

He's suave when he wants to be! Thank you. Yes, he does/is doing pretty well with testing but I am always thinking of his ears and the 'beating' they take. I'm ok with his +6 I just did (111) and don't think it'll go any lower, because you're right, he seems to be right around his nadir.

Rachel likes this.
  55. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think a bounce is inevitable at this point. Pita seems to hit nadir about +5 or 6 so he will probably rise on his own soon. Maybe a snack at +3 or 4 would help...but its hard to say for sure. Some kitties will just bounce!

111and 120 are basically the same. I think you're all right Caitlin...though you'll probably see a bounce tomorrow!

Caitlin M likes this.
  56. Caitlin M

After looking at his low greens/bounce the other day, it seems that the full 2 units the last two nights have given him some nice, steady blues. Hopefully those will translate to calm and steady greens.

57. Kris & Teasel

What a handsome boy! :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  58. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Such a handsome fellow! And lovely numbers lately too :cat:

59. Caitlin M

Thank you!

AMPS was 326 which I was pleased to see. Interested to see tonight's PMPS.

Rachel likes this.
  60. Caitlin M

PMPS was 407. I feel utterly exhausted so I plan to do a +3 and go to bed very early. Looking at his +#'s yesterday evening I'm guessing I should do my best to wake up and maybe do a +6? Thanks all.

61. Caitlin M

+3 was just 254

62. Djamila

I'd say wait until you get the +3 and then decide. You can't stay awake every night; you'll wear yourself out. He's getting some nice numbers, but so far he's always been safe. If it was Sam, I would take a look at the +3 and decide if you would feel best (a) going to bed, (b) giving a snack and going to bed, or (c) setting the alarm.

63. Djamila

Oops. Cross-posted again! Hmmmm....if you look at the evening of 3/8, it's almost identical.

64. Caitlin M

We crossed threads! +3 was 254. Any suggestions?

65. Yong & Maury GA

Times like this, too bad we can't just ask, "Kitty, please check your BG and record it for me while I'm asleep :bighug:, if it's low come wake me up"

Caitlin M and Djamila like this.
  66. Caitlin M

Very true, but I think the 2 units is maybe giving him better results than 3/8 since it was only his second day.? Not quite sure if that's true..

67. Djamila

I say that very thing to Sam almost every night! So far he's refused to hold up his end of the deal.

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  68. Djamila

Good point. I know this isn't at all helpful, but I think you're going to have to go with your gut on this one.

69. Caitlin M

Haha I think based on last night's numbers around the same time, I'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't drop more than the 100's. I may still set an alarm and if I don't turn it off in my sleep I'll get up for one more test :rolleyes:

Djamila likes this.
  70. Caitlin M

Thank you!! Aaand goodnight for now.

Djamila likes this.
  71. Caitlin M

Hello to anyone else who is up on this Friday morning! AMPS was 246. I looked it up and with a human meter, that's a pretty regulated pre-shot #! If only I could test him during the day, I'd see where he went with it. Anywho, planning to give a skinny 2 before I leave :)

72. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Caitlin! Not as early as you, but still up! :) VERY nice preshot!

73. Caitlin M

Thanks Rachel! Little nervous about how low he may go today and not being able to test but I was so proud of him!

74. Kris & Teasel

Looks like the bounce is clearing. Maybe leave some food out when you leave? Do you have timed feeders for the boys?

75. Caitlin M

I leave at 5am (about an hour after shot) so it's too late now :confused:

76. Caitlin M

Also, I don't have a timed feeder. I've never let them graze. Should I leave a tiny bit of wet food before I leave for work from now on? His brother might eat it also...

77. Kris & Teasel

Try not to worry. He has quite a lot of room to come down.

78. Kris & Teasel

That's the hard part when you have more than one kitty and have to be away at work. You'd need two timed feeders, set them at the same times and hope they eat at the same speed. The alternative is those really expensive microchip feeders that only open if the cat wearing the proper chipped collar is nearby.

79. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Could also try to freeze a bit of food and leave it out...might help slow any eating and if he's going low mid cycle, hopefully there would be some left for him.

80. Caitlin M

Not sure how common this is, but PMPS was 407 again today! Same as yesterday.... Gave a full 2, will be going out but should be home for a +5/6.

So, for all the people who work and have 2+ kitties, does everyone leave some food out during the day? I'm perplexed by this now and had never even considered it!

81. Djamila

That's funny you got the same number twice. Maybe your meter is stuck. :smuggrin:

I have two cats and work all day - although I have been working from home a lot since this started (I'm more productive here anyway). So two cats, and four different small bowls of food in different places: stella and chewy's, a can of fancy feast split into two bowls, and frozen raw (thaws later in the day). Because they are used to having full-time access to food, and because they can eat in different places, they aren't food competitive which means they just take a bite or two at a time, and then leave the rest. They don't feel like they have to scarf it all down at once.

This wasn't my idea - Sam trained me when he first arrived to give him regular access to food, and then my younger sister who I refer to as the cat whisperer told me the trick of putting the bowls in different places.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  82. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe he is giving you winning lotto numbers ;)

83. Djamila

@Yong, you crack me up!

Also, I'm going to amend my earlier comment about the four food bowls to say that they will not be getting a bowl of Stella and Chewy's anymore. I may have just found the culprit for sending Sam back into diabetes...Stella and Chewy's just now sent me the % of calories from carbs on the flavor he's been eating (chicken and salmon) and it's over 20% carbs!!!! Holy @#$%!!!!

@Caitlin M, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread with that little piece of news. I'm just horrified.

Caitlin M likes this.
  84. Yong & Maury GA

Apologies if I tag the wrong person but I think @StephG uses Stella and Chewy's too. (I'm at least 99% sure it's one of our ProZinc groupies :p) Just want others to know. Actually, might want to throw the post on Main Health, letting others know.

StephG likes this.
  85. Djamila

I wrote back to the company and asked them if it's okay to share the specific numbers for all of the flavors. It was not easy to get this information out of them! The other flavors weren't as bad as that one, though a couple of them are still too high. But that's the flavor he started eating about a month before his numbers spiked again.

86. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

How the heck is it 20%?!?! Maybe they need to change their claim of. 98% real meat on their package!

87. Djamila

They already wrote back and said "personal use only" I think I will post in the main forum and just tell people to write and ask if they are using this food.

88. Djamila

89. Djamila

What flavor were you using? Some of them are okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.