+5 BG higher than amps

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Denise & Honey, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

I thought things were looking really good as her BG seems to have been coming down in a fairly nice pattern - its only 4 days in, but...

Just tested her - 1 poke, 1 drop of blood - best test yet!
    And then the results - 367 at +5. That's over 100 more than her amps.
    :YMSIGH:

Is this just settling into the Lantus?
    or is it likely I did a fur shot (although it looked ok) - any other way you can screw up a shot?
    (she did eat .5 FF an hour earlier)

Also could anyone advise about the test/feed/shot question I posted here:
    Previous Condo

2. Hi Denise,
    Yes, this is the "settling in" period, and the numbers won't begin to make too much sense for a few days. While a higher number after the shot isn't what you want to see, at this point in time, I wouldn't be too concerned. There is a chance that some time between last night's 292, and this morning's 252, Honey may have had a lower number in there. Sometimes, a lower number can cause the body to instinctively react (her liver and pancreas will dump "sugar" into her blood along with some counter-regulatory hormones) to a blood glucose level that it feels is "low". That doesn't mean like hypoglycemic low, just that right now, her body is used to higher BG values). It can cause what is called a "bounce" by most people here, her BG will bounce up due to the lower BG numbers. That may or may not have happened, and it's just something that happens to most cats, especially early on in the treatment process. Not something you need to worry about, just something you need to be aware of.

The food she ate an hour earlier would most likely cause a rise in BG too. The important thing is to keep track of what she eats and when, so that when you see something "odd" in the numbers, you can look back and say "oh, okay, I understand why that might have happened".

I'll go to that other thread and see if maybe I can help answer your test/feed/shoot question too.

Carl

3. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

Thanks Carl - that's reassuring.
    I didn't think of her body actually 'fighting' this but it makes sense that it tries to keep her to a level that she's, unfortunately, become used to.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Denise,

Try not to worry. I had this a lot with my cat Bertie in the early days. I'd give insulin and his BG numbers could go up, drop a little, or just stay completely flat (what I used to call "Up, down or sideways.." :lol: ) I thought maybe I wasn't injecting him properly. But in retrospect I'm pretty sure that the shots were just fine. It was his own body, I think, that caused these strange responses to the insulin. It was explained to me that he had probably got used to having high blood glucose, and so his body was trying to defend it's own 'normal' range. For some cats too it seems to take a little while for the body to learn how to use the insulin. When I changed my cat's insulin last year he didn't respond to the new insulin at all for 3 days, like I was injecting water. But then his body seemed to 'recognise it' and his blood glucose dropped.

It's really early days, Denise. Things will settle out soon and you should get a much more predictable and consistent response. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.