5 Units Lantus leads to Hypo attack....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ravenwood, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

Hey. everyone. New to the group. Not so new to having a Diabetic kitty. It's been about a year and a half now.

Took our cat Max to the vet after he had a Hypo attack two days in a row. The first day was terrifying - full body twitches. Gave him syrup in the cheek pouch followed by food and he normalized.

The next day was much more mild. But it happened again so off to the vet he went. The doctor said he was EXTREMELY hypoglycemic and wondered how he was even alive (!!!)

She kept him through the day (thought maybe they'd keep him all night), but decided to let him go home (after a $500 invoice, of course). They had curved him during the day and said that we should drop him back to 1 unit/day. At home, with only 1 unit, he returned to behavior we noticed when this all began. Drinking water like it's going out of style. Excessive urination. Then the vomiting came.

Max always vomits twice - everytime. Sometimes, it's three in a row. This was one of those days. Started about an hour and a half after his breakfast (EVO wet food for Diabetic cats). Throughout the day, he vomited no less than 18 times (at the 3 each count). The last few had blood in them (no doubt from stress on the stomach lining). Of course, we called the vet midway through the day. She asked me to take a Bg curve. We did one at around noon and she said he was in a good place reading-wise. "If he continues vomiting, take away his food. Tonight, feed him first, then give him the one unit." Problem was, he wouldn't eat. This morning, same thing. Refusing food, so we've skipped insulin again and I'm freaking out.

He has an appointment tomorrow, but I don't know if I should wait - any advice would help. Should I take him to a 24hr. vet???

Thank you so much.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you give us the numbers you have gotten relative to the insulin given? That might help people give you advice.

So glad you are hometesting!

Yes, he needs to eat. There are lots of ideas on this page for getting a cat to eat: http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm Maybe one of the suggestions will work for you.

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

in one way good to start over, but difficult as we don't know what readings you were getting.

Do you test for keytones?

Have you tried alternative foods? sprinkling a little parmesan? Heat in microwave for 10 secs (enhances smell)?
    Even a higher carb food to kickstart his appetite?

The main thing he is at risk of right now sounds like keytones (one of the main causes I'm sure you know is not enough insulin)
    This is a vet emergency.

Ultimately he's your cat, if you think hes in a bad way a trip is the only thing that is going to put your mind at rest.

Blood isn't good, could be stomach lining could be something else, no way of knowing.

Ihope he's ok. Sending get better vines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.