55 on Humlin +4

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by bandak, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandak

bandak New Member

I'm new to testing and usually my cat Ziggy tested in the triple digits. Of course I started testing before his PM shot so while still high (400+ or 300+) it was understandable.

Just now, however, I was able to get him at +4 and he came in at 55. Not sure if I should panic, give him some high carb food or what. He didn't eat the usual amount of grain free dry food he normally does in the morning. I'm sure that's why he tested so low. Just not sure if it's low enough to worry about. He gets 5 units of Humulin N 2x/day and has been since first diagnosed a couple of months ago. confused_cat

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi!

This forum does not have many users as few people use Humulin. You definitely need to post on the Health forum to attract more eyes.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=28

I hope your cat came up after that low. Definitely not eating can cause a steep drop. With Humulin, the suggestion is to be sure there is food on board before dosing.

We have a very successful protocol that calls for a mild long lasting insulin like Lantus, Levemir or ProZinc), hometesting (which it sounds like you are doing!)and wet low carb food. You can read about it on the Main Forum page under Nutrition and Health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.