Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

so I tested with the ReLion and it’s at 353. The 550 was with the Advocate. There couldn’t be that much difference. Even if you add 100 to the pet test. I made a line below today’s date for the ReLion. I have to leave for a 1600 appointment but I’ll try to run a test before I go...her low point seems to be at about +4....

Am I EVER going to break outta these high numbers!!! I really don’t want to increase even more! Isn’t Prozinc usually considered a high dose at 3 units?

She looks good btw, no dilated pupils or lethargy as usual with high numbers. I’m thinking the Advocate May be way off.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I think your Advocate result is probably inaccurate. ;):bighug:

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I hope so...I kinda felt like, um, let down for lack of better words

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi, some cats need less insulin than others, some need more than others. 'The cat needs what the cat needs'. So please don't fret if it turns out that your kitty does need more than an average or typical dose, either temporarily or permanently. :bighug:
    (FYI, my cat was getting 15 units a day at one point early on....)

Gretchen was only dx at the end of March, so it's still very 'early days'.
    And the longer a cat has had diabetes (before being diagnosed), the more damage may have occurred to the cells in the body, making it difficult for them to take up insulin. That healing can take a while.
    Healing can be taking place in the body even though we may not see that immediately represented in their BG levels. But as the body heals, the blood glucose levels may well improve significantly over time.

Is there any chance of getting some more tests (or even just one test) during a couple of PM cycles? I'm just wondering if there's something we're missing here, and that maybe she's dropping lower during the PM cycle. That may not be the case at all, but it could be good to rule that out before increasing the dose.

Are you testing Gretchen's pee for ketones? With those numbers it would be prudent to keep a check on that.
    The test only involves dipping the end of a ketone test strip in a drop of pee. Crumpling plastic food wrap over the litter tray can be a fairly easy way to catch a sample.
    You want to see a 'negative' result. Anything above 'trace' is a reason to contact your vet.

Eliz

Squalliesmom and G & I like this.
  5. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

No- I get 4-5 hours of sleep during my work week and as selfish as I know it sounds, I can’t break that tiny amount. I do curves as much as possible on my days off. She’s getting resentful of me and hides when I start getting test strips out...

She hasn’t had any keytones, I need to get more strips. I don’t feel right taking anymore from my hospital :nailbiting:

I do have to say she looks so much better after starting Prozinc even with the high numbers. On the Novilin she was glassy eyed most of the time. Now her eyes rarely have that distant gaze look and it feels like she’s gained a little weight. Need to take her in to vet soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.