58 at +2 and scared as heck

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MamaMug, May 8, 2019.

1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

It might be a long night. We've been drop dosing and either I haven't quite found his no shoot number or I just drew it a little too fat today. Judging by his data over the weekend I had set his no shoot number to 100. He was a 104 before dinner and at +2 he's at 58.

We haven't really had a too low scare as of yet so I'm nervous, but I do have a high carb and karo kit. I'm assuming I wouldn't want to whip any of that out just yet, but will test in about an hour and see where his numbers go.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Deep breaths. Let me take a peek at the spreadsheet. Be right back.

3. Djamila

Okay, here's my hunch: I think he's done an early drop and is going to level out. I don't think he's going to keep diving. This happens sometimes when a cat is close to remission. Will he eat right now? Or is he full from dinner? If he's willing, go ahead and give him a snack of regular food. Just in case the dose was a little bigger than intended, let's make sure he's got a little food to help put the brakes on.

ASimpleGuy and MamaMug like this.
  4. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

He's always willing to eat! By regular food I assume you mean our journal low carb?

5. Djamila

Yes. Maybe half a can if he eats the small cans, or a quarter of the can if he eats large cans.

6. Djamila

If he seems particularly ravenous - like trying to bite off your fingers while you're dishing it up - then go ahead and give him a bit more. Unless he always bites your fingers off (in which case just use your mama sense on how much to feed him).

ASimpleGuy likes this.
  7. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I went with 2 fork full scoops of weruva frickazee which we use as a textured mixer. He's finishing off a bit of the persnickety babys' pate. There wasn't much left in his bowl so I let him at it.

8. Djamila

How long since your last test?

9. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

It's been about 45 mins so I was planning to call him for a test in about 10min.

10. Djamila

Sounds good. Fingers crossed he's just going to surf along. :D

MamaMug likes this.
  11. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I hope so as well. We just got a 65 at +3. I'm assuming the food may have caused a minor uptick but all food given was low carb so hopefully he cruises in that range.

Djamila likes this.
  12. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

So I guess the question now is how many upward tests before I should consider sleep? I have a proclivity to sleep through night alarms unfortunately.

13. Djamila

How long until your normal bedtime?

14. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Normal is usually between now to an hour from now.

15. Djamila

I think if you just get one more before bed you should be fine. He didn't go below 50, so you don't need to look for upward tests so much as just holding-steady tests. If he seems hungry, give him another snack and maybe a little more right before you turn out the lights. He's probably fine, but since this is new territory a little extra snack isn't going to hurt. :cat: It will make Gato happy and you'll sleep better.

MamaMug likes this.
  16. Djamila

Oh, and I think you might be done with insulin for a couple of cycles. Or do a skinnier drop. That's pretty hard to do though.

MamaMug likes this.