6/1 Checkers AMBG 56 OTJ trial8

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I didnt make a thread yesterday as it was pretty boring. The AB's is seeming to have an effect on checkers. he seems abit more withdrawn then normal, wants to lay by me but not be stroked by me and stuff like that. I kind of want to pull my hair out looking at him, i know these pills are making him feel bad and yet i don't think i can stop giving them to him. His appetite also doesnt seem correct at all, he seems to be caring less about food. I feel so bad sneaking these pills into his treats lol like i'm tainting gifts i give him.

His BG seems good but with his diminished appetite i do not know how accurate the readings are. i havent noticed any other side effects other then just lethargy/loss of apetite, he does seem to be eating just small amount at irregular times.

Other then the AB side effects he seems ok and i suppose some of the side effects could be from his UTI but seems odd that i don't see any until he spends alittle time on the AB's.

So far so good with the trial. i kind of feel like the AB's are screwing the trial up, i wanted the trial to be a good sign of exactly how he normally is but if hes had a UTI the entire trial and now is on AB's I'm not sure what this proves. He could begin eating twice as much next week and with it a huge BG increase and i wouldnt be overly shocked. Oh well we keep on trucking.

I need to figure out what to do about probiotics, if anyone has any advice that would be great. i looked at the pharmacy but all they had was expensive pills designed for humans. Maybe a small amount of greek yogurt or something would be better? let me know what you think.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry the AB is making Checkers feel bad. He was having such good numbers before the UTI and AB. I hope that he'll keep up those numbers after it's all cleared up. Some people do give yogurt to cats, but I'm not sure what kind. Maybe you should put probiotic ? in the subject line.

3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I hope Checkers feels better. Human Probiotics are actually recommended more than the animal type. Take a look at this link and most use the Renew Life which is shown at the bottom of the page. This resource is for kitties with IBD to help support their weak intestinal track. http://www.ibdkitties.net/Probiotics.html

4. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Feeling-better vines heading to Checkers!

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

ABs are really rough on kitty's tummies :(, I hope Checkers is done with them and feeling good soon! He is managing to still look stellar on his trial :D

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hope Checkers tummy feels better soon. I use Naturvet probiotics and digestive enzymes all together. It is for cats and dogs. I get it from Chewy.com. I put 1/4 tsp AM and PM meals. It has kept Bubba really regular. And when he was on clavamix twice since Sept he had no issues.

Attached Files:

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

People I know swear by human acidophilus given in tiny amounts spread out over all meals mixed in the food. A good one is Country Life with pectin dairy free. Antibiotics can make them feel lousy and have an effect on the appetite. It's important for him to eat at least 3/4 of the normal amount of food. Have you tried all meat baby food? I know you don't have the Gerbers in Canada that Max will eat when he's sick and don't know if you can get something comparable. Vines.

8. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

It is very hard watching our pets or our children feel miserable, especially so when we know it is something we are doing--like giving the antibiotic. But it is for the best and he will recover. He is doing so well on his OTJ Trial! You should take heart from that. I sometimes off my pets human canned chicken when they are feeling kind of low in the stomach zone. They can start out by drinking the liquid and then move on to the actual solids after they get jump-started, so to speak.

Check whatever yogurt you use. They can be high in carbs!

9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Feel better vines for Checkers! OTJ trial looks good!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I give plain organic greek yogurt to Neko - she gets some meds in it. The Renew Ultimate is available in Canadian Superstore (Loblaws) organic refridgerated section. My civie is on Natural Factors Protec - available in most health food stores here. His vet recommended it.

I have yet to find all meat baby food of any brand in Canada.

I am glad Checkers numbers are still good, in spite of him not feeling 100%.

11. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

we use microflora by Herbsmith-I mix it with something he likes and syringe it--it is a pre biotic/probiotic/enzymes/herbs for the tummy all in 1--we are on AB now too :(

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I'm still going to celebrate his OTJ trial day 8! [​IMG]

His blood sugar is looking great, and he'll no doubt perk up once he's off the ABs. Just 6 more days to go!

13. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

We eat Fage Greek 2% plain and unless my math fails me, it is 21% carbs so I wouldn't want to give Rosie too much. And she did love it, poor baby, pre diagnosis. I gave it to her as a snack every evening. ( 9 GM carbs = 36 calories out of every 17o calories).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.