6/17 Alexia's Blue - AMPS 184, PMPS 194

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Re: 6/17 Alexia's Blue - AMPS 184

First of all, I just wanted to say that it was very kind of you to do this for Alexia & Blue! I don't have a lot of time and I have not read all the postings, but if there is anyway you can get more data... that would be helpful on your next steps.

I know it can be stressful for you and the cat when it's time for the shot or testing ears. Sounds like Blue hasn't warmed up to you quite yet, but just remember that they can pick up on your vibes. Try to clear your mind and maybe even sing to him :D I will send you good vibes to help along the way! You're doing great!!! I do think a dose decrease is in the making, but it's hard to know if you do not have more data.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I will be home tonight and will try to get one mid-cycle test.

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Hillary! What a great thing you are doing for Alexia and Blue. I have read most of the posts, particularly the one from yesterday in LL, and you got some good advice.

I have never used ProZinc, just PZI Idexx. That being said, the one major thing I would caution you about is what Jennifer (FurballLover) warned about, which is that dosing is mostly based on PS. I had my no-shoot set at 150 until just before Buzz went OTJ, when I would occasionally shoot a 100 or so, and I wasn't particularly afraid of low numbers; that's just how you have to treat PZI. Throw everything you know about shed out the window, because it totally doesn't apply to ProZinc.

You may see much wilder swings on ProZinc than you would on Lantus, so be ready for that too. Part of my experience with that, I've come to realize, is that Buzz is just sort of a wild swinger anyway, no matter what insulin she is on. It seems like the onset with PZIR can be a little rougher than with Lantus, especially if the kitty is unregulated.

One thing I would suggest is to look at Gator & H's SS. He has experimented a lot with ProZinc and keeps pretty good documentation. He doesn't post very often any more, but he did say we could PM him and he'd get back to us ASAP, so that's a resource you might want to keep in mind.

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to post with questions here in PZI or elsewhere. I know you will do great because this isn't your first rodeo. :D

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

thanks, Sarah - My hope is to be able to get some testing in, not just ps. That being said, while I'm skerred to shoot the 1, I see that is what he needs for now. I just want to know what he will do, and I'll only know by testing.

Hopefully he will come around tonight and things will be good.

Thanks for the support Sarah.

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

It looks like that 1 unit is pretty spot on from the last few readings. Will be watching for some midshot #'s to confirm, but if 1 unit BID is keeping him in the upper 100's at shot time, that's pretty solid.

Not to sound like a broken record, but it's really great of you to watch Blue. I know how hard it was for me to even find someone willing to watch a diabetic cat for a weekend!

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks Hope,

Yeah I could feel her pain and the predicament she was in. I don't know, I'm a sucker I guess. But we will make this work and we will be friends hopefully very soon.

I posted on health and said that I'll attempt a +3 or 4 tonight. And attempt a 3 hour curve (give or take) on the weekend. Then we will have some real #'s to look at and get a better idea of how he's doing.

8. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Hillary: Please for give me if this comes across hard, but I am only trying to help. Let alone... I know what a great thing you are doing for Blue. Please get +3 or +5 numbers. IMO, 1unit shouldn't be shot tomorrow AMPS even if AM numbers are over 200. Without these mid-numbers, Blue could go very low. Are you keeping food out during the day and evening? If anything... tomorrow I would shoot a tad under 1 unit making it 0.8 units. Curious to see his mid numbers tonight. Just remember if you get stressed trying to test him.... take a breathe and try about an hour later.

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww, sorry things are going tough!!! I would go easy on yourself, and view the diabetes management just as being in maintenance mode for now - not stress any more than needed on getting the dose perfect, perfect #s, etc. If you can get those things, super-great, but sounds like it might be too much for the moment. My 2c would be just let him settle in, and shoot a consistent dose that should be safe (maybe pull back to 0.8u to be on the safe side?), of course getting PSs if you can, but probably ditch even trying for tests beyond that. Then if it works out that he settles in more and tolerates more testing and you want to get more data, go for it. Hopefully he will come around soon, hang in there! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.