6/17 Alexia's Blue - PMPS 194

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, I let him be last night and this morning he greeted me with a nice chirp. He let me pet him and all was forgiven, that is until I put him on futon to test. Then Mr. Angry returned and I wrapped in his mommy shirt and sheet, got the test in.

He seems to feel safe in the carrier, I have that on the futon and helped him in, zipped it up and got his syringe, tuna and FF.

While he snarfed his tuna I shot the scruff. Phew! I offered the FF to see if he would like and he did. Ate a nice bit - oh he's a noisy eater a major lip smacker! And then put the rest on the floor.

I told him that mommy loves him and we can count the days if he wants until he can go home. Don't know if he buys into it or not, he's back under the futon. Sigh....

Two p's in order - poop & pee.

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Re: 6/17 Alexia's Blue - AMPS 184 - shot 1 unit prozinc

Its great to see good numbers with him - The testing time stories give me a good chuckle :D Keep up the good work!

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks Kelly, Sure you can sit there and chuckle, I'm doing what I can not to get eaten!

I guess with using prozinc vs lantus, I don't have to be AS scared of him dropping, if I'm not home or can't test, as I was with lantus. And I decided 170 is my no shot #. So, as long as he is at or above at PS, I'll shoot the 1 unit.

I'm really hoping he will calm down enough and let me test him and love on him. I don't want him to think that I'm the mean warden who comes in, pokes, leaves, returns and shoots.

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i think that's a very reasonable preshot number considering he's just starting out.

seeing a pretty nice response to the prozinc here in terms of how his preshots are getting better. alexia can fine tune when she is able to get more spot checks coz i can imagine how tough it is doing extra testing with a grouchy stranger kitty. any special treats you've found yet to mellow him out for test? my old standbys are chicken breast, cheese, or a small piece of KFC meat or skin (unless he's a temptations kinda guy -- that makes it even easier). i remember having every kitty in the house looking forward to shot time then. LOL.

goal for beginning is to try to keep him in 100-200 range. that helps avoid hypos and BG's shooting too high up before insulin takes effect. good conservative road while he's away from mom.

[edited to take out strange word that popped in there!]

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

He likes tuna. I gave him that with his shot. I will try with test too and see if that calms him. Any thought about changing dose. - just to keep him safe from possibly getting too low? What do you think about giving 1 unit or. Something less?

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

do you think you can get a spot check tonight? so far it seems that as long as your no-shot number is anything below 170 you're doing ok with that 1u.
    definitely need a spot test as close to general nadir as possible or right before bed if you can't stay up any later but would otherwise have needed to for the timing of the spot test. any chance you can curve him this weekend? even a mini curve (every 3 hrs)? if not, say, a +4 & +7 or a +3 & +6 or thereabouts?

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

He's under the futon right now, so I haven't shot him yet. I 'll get it set up and his dinner and hopefully tht will entice him.

I'll try for a spot check before bed - maybe at this time +3 or +4.

And yes, I will be home this weekend and try for curve - of 3 hours, not any less. It seems it's the testing part he hates, yet when I poke him quick, he bleeds really, really well! so much so, I have to pinch his ear to stop. No, I don't think I hit the vein.

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a very nice little house guest. You're doing well Hillary. Please let Maui know that this is not a new servant for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.