6/17 Shadoe and Oliver

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Blue, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

OK I'll start things off in here; I don't know if I can get daily ones done, or even a daily one for both, like this one, but I'll try and see how it goes.

Previous Condo 6/05 for Shadoe

Shadoe is doing OK I guess. She was surfing along with her 6.75uLev dose, but then the numbers started creeping up and we are now at 9uLev. The good thing is that she is holding on with very little need for any R.
    OK today she got 1uR but that's cuz she is a kitty krak thief!
    Some cats go through the roof on dry foods, and she is one of them. It does not last long in her but still she goes up high. What was very good to see today was that she looked horrible in those high numbers, kinda like what you may feel after eating a big turkey dinner or maybe like a hangover. She dis not look like she felt great and that was a welcome sight; I am hoping she catches on one day that dry foods just don't sit well in her.

When I look at her ss, it seems that the few times she has gone at the dry were times when she had been low earlier. I think maybe she can't help it and is driven to get her numbers up. What do you think about that theory?

Otherwise, she's doing not too badly. She still hisses like a maniac at Oliver, so I guess it will take her awhile to get used to his being here. He really doesn't care but I think he plays along to let her 'think' she has won and just stays out of her way.

She started the day with 466(kitty krak induced) got 9uLev and 1uR, and is now 355 at +2.

Previous Condo 6/05 for Oliver

Oliver now - whoa he has been a busy boy, and I think we finally broke through something. With acro and IAA both positive, who knows what happened, but it's a thought that maybe we have broken the IAA and are left with just the acro. What do you think about that theory?

If you look at his ss, he's had a bunch of missed shots and half doses and is now around 6uLev from a high of 22uLev on June06/10, just 10days ago. And not only is the Lev down, but also we have eliminated all R! I think that's pretty amazing.

As well, Oliver has seemed to 'come alive' now. He plays! Seriously! OK it's not for long stretches of time and maybe not even a whole minute, but to see him galloping around and batting at all sorts of balls like pingpong and others with little bells in them, is such a treat! Another thing he does is sit in doorways(nothing new there) and then swings a paw at Booboo to try and play with her. By now, she knows that he is a pushover and she could take this mountain cat with two paws tied behind her back. She has even been teasing him by sitting just out of reach and staring at him. She very seldom hisses at him and it's the same kind of hiss that I get if I foolishly attempt to pat her without prior approval from her. She has even given him a couple licks to clean his side or head and ear, but takes off if he moves.
    I think they will be buddies eventually.

I took Oliver in for his Xrays on Friday June11/10 to see how he's doing internally now that we have his msu results. Whoa he drops LOW at the vets! I was so glad that I took him foods while he was there. I always take their meters to the vet and tell them to test before/after whatever they are doing so that I know how their numbers are reacting to the visit and to the activity. He went in the morn, then later when I checked, they said he twisted in one Xray and they wanted to take it again but he was just chilling to be relaxed for that shot. I left but then went back again with foods this time and aske that they bring him out as soon as done so that I could test and feed him. They did give him a bit of DM but he did not eat much of it.
    OMG he tested at 52! NOT a good number for acro to be!
    I am thinking oh no, I brought only 1 can! When the vet came in later, I said oh well if he is going to hypo, what better place than AT the vet office! So he ate up the whole can and we went home where he ate a bit more.
    Below is link with my post in Health on his Xrays and the results.
    Health Xray Results Cross Post

He started the day with a slow rise to 261 at +11.5. We dropped his dose by 1u, down to 6uLev as we want to have his shed filled and not get ahead of it.
    With his late nadir, I try to get in a fair amount of testing at cycle end, then shoot only when he is on the rise.

We are just about back on track with a 6am/6pm shot times, but will see how he does. Every time we skipped a shot, I was able to shoot early for the next one, but now, it seems he is getting close to settled, so his shot was moved up by only 30min. Maybe tonite, we can move up the last 30min and get back to the same ps times as Shadoe.

OK that's our contribution to the start of posting in HD.

Attached Files:

2. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

it is good to read how you all are doing. I often wonder. I hope all goes well for all of you.

Michelle and Mannie

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

That's very possible. I get low blood sugar and it causes a panicky feeling of "I have to eat NOW!!!" and I crave saltine crackers. Hopefully, the d*** tumor will calm down. Some of the kitties just surf along for a while at the same high dose, which would be very nice for Ms. Shadoe. I wish Bonnie would come back - Porscha seemed to stay pretty steady.

Wow! I haven't been peeking at the SS Gayle. I can't believe he's gone down so much. And, I love to hear about Ollie playing! What a good, happy cat he is.

It might be nice for you to upload the x-rays, if you can and point out where things are enlarged.

These two sure keep you on your toes! They really lucked out when they got you as a mama.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, Gayle!

Sounds like your adoption integration is going well --

I had to take Rusty to ER last night with a claw wound that bled a lot - not quite one week after Tiggy had to go to the vet with a bite wound.

now both are on Clavamox

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Wow, they fight each other that badly?
    Have they always been like that or are they getting better or worse?

I think I have Oliver's size going for me and also his mild mannered ways because he really is a scaredy cat that looks threatening.

Booboo is less than 1/3 his weight and much smaller, but if she hisses at him or blocks his way, he will back down every single time. If she is in a doorway, there is no way he is brave enough to pass her. If he is in the doorway, she just jumps over him, no problem.

Shadoe may never be fully comfy with the gentle giant. That's OK because he doesn't care and and just leaves her alone. I am glad that he is finally getting pseudo-chummy with Booboo because I was feeling badly for him - Shadoe and Booboo always sit together and clean each other, but poor Ollie was the odd man out and he would just watch them. Aww, poor guy, I would think.

I have to remind myself that he's been here only since mid March, and Shadoe is not near as insanely hissy as before. So long as he keeps his distance, and does not come at her too quickly, and doesn't move as she sneaks by him in the doorway, she is OK with a token growl at him to warn him.

Did either of them, Rusty and Tiggy, need stitches to close the wounds?

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Rusty arrived the same day/trip that you got Oliver --

No stitches - just cleaned - being so furry, Rusty got a bit shaved - his bruise is impressive

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I wonder what the issue is, are they both males or is it something about who came first?
    I sure hope they come around and are able to co-exist eventually!

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Well, my first three led a very sheltered life --- Norton, Mauser, Luci and Buster lived together for nearly 10 years with no exciting interruptions by strange cats.

We lost Norton in May 2008. We all missed him a lot.

In Feb 2009, we adopted Tiggy thru FDMB. He is slightly larger than my other cats, but pretty laid back. He fit in pretty well.

In March 2010, we adopted Rusty thru DCIN/FDMB. He is even bigger and way furrier (Maine coon) and pretty dominant.

Bringing him in messed up the equilibrium.

Buster (the alpha) was upset that Tiggy and Rusty were so confident. Luci and Mauser were just plain scared - and also started treating Tiggy like a stranger too, instead of someone they had known for over a year.

So... now Tiggy hides out in the laundry room a lot. Mauser hides in a little hole under a coffee table behind a big box of DVDS -- now on Prozac. Luci has gone down to skin & bones and is not using the litterbox a few times per week.

Tiggy and Buster both hiss at Rusty and at each other.

Rusty chases anyone who flees from him, and stalks at the hissers. He is big and intimidating.

Last night, Tiggy retreated under the dining room chair that I was sitting in---- Rusty came at him and I interposed my leg to prevent a fight. Instead of preventing --- when Tiggy slashed at Rusty and opened up his leg, he also caught me and left two bleeding holes through my pant leg (mine were not serious).

We couldn't see how bad Rusty was hit - other than lots of spots of blood on the carpet - when I picked him up for inspection, there was blood on his front legs and chest --
    the scratch/hole was on his left elbow and must have caught a small vein, by the amount of blood dripping.

Anyway, we decided to have a vet look at it and went to the ER.

Last Friday morning, Tiggy, Buster and Rusty tangled -- and that time, Tiggy got bitten by Rusty on the left foreleg. He was holding his leg off the ground, so we took him to the vet.

Since March -- these are the first two times where significant injuries occurred. I'm hoping these are the last....

We've got Feliway plugins and Mauser is on Prozac (he comes out of hiding and will sit on my lap purring)

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Oh boy, it sounds like you have a potential hit show on your hands... you could call it Phoebe's Phelines!

Awhile back, shortly after Oliver's arrival, Shadoe did a bit of that hitting out at Booboo when Shadoe was startled by Oliver. Looking back, I think Booboo knew that it wasn't anything between Shadoe and Booboo, so she just stepped back from my hissyfit Shadoe.

Does the feliway help alot; I hope so.
    I also hope within time that the new cats on the block settle in.

10. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Gayle
    I am glad that you posted so I could see how Shadoe and Oliver were doing. I can't believe how much less insulin Oliver needs now.
    They are both doing great thanks to your great care.
    I am sure they keep you very busy.

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Miriam,
    Oliver's ss is a weird one to look at but you will see how quickly things turn.
    Never a dull moment here!

12. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Things are looking great Gayle! It would seem to me that you've kicked the IAA's booty?

Love the pics! And ya know... to stop Oliver from being the "odd man out".... you just need an even number of cats! :mrgreen:

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

LOL another cat? YIKES :shock: ya maybe I need to get a little kitten to drive all 3 of them crazy! With my luck, I may get another HD kitty!
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it sure gets pricey with the strips and stuff.
    And who knows what is down the road - with the FD experience I am gaining, I don't think I would be closed to the idea of another. If I heard of one local, ... well, you just never know.

Anyways, Oliver sure seems to have experienced a major change and if it's the IAA, then GREAT! He's is still holding his own fairly well on 6uLev with no R, but we are going up to 7u tonite, as he's creeping up the numbers now. Whatever we stopped, we don't want it coming back, so what's that saying? The best defense is offense?

Shadoe's doing not too badly on her 9u, but she dips a wee bit and hits some greens without giving me any warning - I am pretty sure she's in it to get the gravies and tease Oliver by saying "See? I am special and you just get LC. And I am not sharing either!"
    Maybe if she keeps getting lower, I can try to go dn to 8.75 or something.

And it's almost noon now; time to poke somebody I am sure!

14. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Eh, what's another kitty? And 4 is a nice, round, evenly divisable number.... and it could be worse: you could be like me and say to yourself, "How the h*ll did I end up with 8 of you?!?!?!?" Four would be manageable... maybe! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.