6/20 Alexia's Blue PMPS 244, +2 204, + 3 154

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Re: 6/20 Alexia's Blue PMPS 244

Holy smokes! Imagine my surprise when I got this read!

This boy drops and drops fast! I need to go to store today and pick up some HC to stave this drop, but holy cow! I just gave him some FF, as I don't think the EVO is a hit - that's ok mine don't like it either.

I'll test again in a little to make sure he steadies out. WOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm sitting here wondering if it may be possible that Alexia gives me a broken kitty to take care of and when she gets back, I return him to her fixed? Might this happen? ;-)

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 6/20 Alexia's Blue AMPS 258, +3.5 86!!

Wow! You are having an interesting pet sitting adventure. You know how to handle this, so much better that it happened on your watch. By the time Alexia gets home, you may have Blue OTJ!

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

You think?

Since I don't know this insulin, I don't know if I should reduce the dose tonight or what? I know, let's get some more tests in and see what he's doing, still, for him to drop like this.

Wow.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, we used PZI but I understand it is similar. If it continues to go low until nadir, I would reduce the dose. Unlike Lantus, there is no shed and you basically get what you get each time. Hope you don't have to give the HC, so you have true readings at this dose. You're at .80 right? How about .50?

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Re: 6/20 Alexia's Blue AMPS 258, +3.5 86!!, +4.5 124

Looks like the LC FF is enough for him, phew. since I don't have any HC on hand and don't want to break out the syrup.

Yes, I shot what I'm calling 0.80 from what I can see on the silly syringe.

I'm calling his vet tomorrow and telling him that HE MUST call in a script for the U100, otherwise, I will call my vet and ask her to do it.

Let's see how this day goes, as to whether I drop to 0.5 or stick with 0.8 or something in-between ;-).

Now I need to get dressed and do my errands.... ha .

7. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Re: 6/20 Alexia's Blue AMPS 258, +3.5 86!!, +4.5 124, 5.5 173

i'd get some HC just to stock up in case but LC is working fine so far to slow/stop drop so i wouldn't go for HC unless LC doesn't work.

yep, i'd reduce another smidge further tho and maybe even start introducing regular snacks at +2 or +2.5.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

OK, it's interesting, I am getting some conflicting advice from PZI board and here. One person suggested sticking with the dose at .8, another suggested dropping to like .6 and your recommendation to drop as well.

Thanks for the input and I'll see how his PS is and probably do a wee bit of a shave off the .8.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You know, Hillary, with your own kitty, that this is when it gets tricky. You could stay with the same dose - he didn't go too low. But he does seem to be responding very well to the insulin. If it were my own cat, I would probably be more willing to be more agressive and stick with the dose. But whatever you do, you will be able to handle it. No worries. Whatever you do will work.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks for the encouragement Sue!

11. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I'd drop the dose to 0.5u.

Also, you might try calling your pharmacy (if they're still open). When I was visiting my mom in South Jersey once, we ran out of syringes. The local pharmacy wouldn't give me a box, but they *did* (eventually) agree to sell me ten syringes without a script.

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Re: 6/20 Alexia's Blue PMPS 244

Going to stick with same dose and see how tonight goes. Then maybe will shoot a little less tomorrow morning, since I won't be home for the drop.

13. chriscleo

hillary because of the early drop i'm concerned it's building up even if you don't see it in the preshot numbers. notice that your +3s/4s are getting lower and lower while your preshots are staying a little high. the goal is a flatter curve. if you're not home to feed the drop you may have a rebound situation coming up, which we want to avoid.
    i'd be more aggressive if i could be home all the time to baby the early numbers along but otherwise your goal is slightly more conservative til blue's mom comes back. (i think that's what we agreed at the beginning, anyway.)

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks Chris,

I'll monitor him tonight and drop the dose in the morning and shoot .5 or less then. Just to stop the drop.

Does that make sense? Or am I off base?

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Re: 6/20 Alexia's Blue PMPS 244, +2 204

just curious how fast he really drops, this is good so far! He's finishing his dinner now. I'll +3 and see how he looks.

16. chriscleo

yep, i was thinking saturday night that his +4 would be even lower on sunday. just seems to be building up that way. i don't agree that there's no shed. that's part of the reason why the 80s didn't surprise me. the insulin depot isn't limited to lantus and levemir, tho so far we've seen a bigger shed with those two.

not sure what you shot before. was it just under 0.8u? in that case again i'd just shave it a tiny bit further. he's pretty close to a good dose for him--just trying to flatten the range a bit.

ya know, it could be a big drop at the beginning from too high a dose or he could just have a very early nadir. there are always one or two in the bunch that like to break the rules. :) we won't know til we have more data.

17. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

You can always find a lively range of opinions in PZI Ville! :lol: It's tough because there is no clear protocol to follow, and a wide range of strategies people have used and responses they got from their cats, so there's a lot of ECID, and differing opinions based on what each of us has experienced with our own cat. I can't speak for anyone else, but my experience is limited, so I can only share what I have seen with my cat and with following other people's threads, and what my (limited) understanding is of how the insulin works. Much of what has worked well for Bix I learned from Chriscleo & others when I arrived here, so although occassionally I disagree with her :D for the most part I would defer to her recommendations.

With Bix, my experience has been that he got discernable overlap, and that once he got on a dose reduction path and I started seeing lower #s like you have, he needed the dose reduced pretty quickly. A couple times in doing that I over-reduced and then had to bump back up a hair, but other times I didn't reduce fast enough and got #s lower than I was going for. So to me, once cats appear to be on a dose reduction path, the safer bet is to keep reducing as the #s suggest it, rather than holding the dose steady. If the #s drift higher, then you know you reduced too much and you bump back up right away. If you are ready for aggressive testing/feeding you can shoot more aggressively and not risk the #s going a little higher til you get the dose perfected, but IMO it's not needed unless you are dealing with something like ketones (or are home to monitor & want to take that route).

On another note, it's a bit confusing having threads in both Health & PZI - any chance of luring peeps here over to PZI Land to post there, and keeping the threads in the one place? Just a thought. :) I would love to see Chris & others join the PZI Party!!!!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.