6/20 Mr Tinkles fighting a hypo!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laurie and Mr Tinkles, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

AMPS 150
    +3 52 gave 1/2 can FF
    +15min 35 gave 1/2 can HC FF
    +10 min 39 gave 1/2 can FF
    +10 min 41 gave 1/2 can HC FF
    +10 min 50
    +20 min 84
    +15 min 97

He's nowhere near nadir yet. Now that he is in safe territory, how often should I test him? Every half hour?

Obviously, drop the dose tonight!

2. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

i would do every half hour, but i would watch him very closely. and have everything ready.

3. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

+5.25 109

Thanks sugar. I am watching him, everything at the ready. He's snoozing, probably from the HC food, went a little overboard I'm afraid. He sure got my attention! nailbite_smile

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

You're doing really nicely here, and congratulations on catching this!

Just so that you're aware: when it's time for his next shot, you'll find that his blood sugar levels are pretty high. That's because of the intervention that you're doing right now. Please do *NOT* raise your dose in respond to the artificially inflated BG levels. I would suggest dropping down to 1u for your next shot, or even 0.5u (because cats post-hypo can be over-sensitive to insulin for a couple / few days).

Once Mr. Tinkles is recovered, talk things over with other ProZinc users. As a PZI-Vet user, my suggestion would be to start over at 1u twice a day for 5-7 days, then curving to see if a dose increase is in order. If so, I'd only raise by 0.5u at a time, or maybe even 0.25u. But that's my inclination based on a similar insulin; folks who actually use ProZinc and know it's nuances may well be more insightful into what you need to do.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Good catch Laurie.

You handled this really well. Another trick you may want to try that we found works really well for some cats over in lantus is to take a spoon of LC and put one or two spoons of HC gravy on top. Additionally you can just give him a couple spoons of HC gravy to lick.

The idea behind this, is if you have to feed a lot to raise him up, you don't want him to get too full too fast, hence only giving gravy. Also, you don't want him to necessarily shoot up too quickly, hence spooning HC gravy onto LC.

Giving half a can a time, may be too much and make him too full to want to eat if he continues dropping and you need to keep feeding for several hours.

Hope this helps - and congrats on the dose reduction.

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

+6 148

Thanks JJ! ohmygod_smile I won't raise the dose, don't worry! He is working on remission, I think. I have been doing small dose decreases, and that has been working fine, but it looks like he wants to take a giant step down now. I only caught it by pure dumb luck!

I appreciate the advice, I will certainly do a large decrease in dose tonight and go from there.

7. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

You might still be riding out the residual bit of the 2u dose. I don't know if I would jump all the way down to 1u quite yet. I did that with Oscar for a similar situation and then completely lost the good numbers and still haven't gotten them back. Its that build up in the system and build up of overlap with the higher doses that you need to get out of the system I believe. I would try 1.2u tonight if it were me.

8. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

+6.5 189

Thanks Hillary! I appreciate the tips on adding gravy to LC, etc. I actually did think about doing that, but he was hungry, trying to eat it out of the can, so I didn't think volume would be an issue. He's a good eater anyway. I did go a little overboard on the HC, I could have skipped that second helping! :lol:

Kelly, I really, really need the kind of info you just gave me...how much to drop without losing ground (if that is possible). I know I need to drop more than what I have been doing (0.1-0.15u) because it obviously isn't enough. I also know to consider insulin sensitivity after a hypo. I'm not sure if that will be an issue here because he never had any symptoms except being hungry? I neglected to put his dose in the first post...I gave him 1.7u this morning. I think you are right, there was too much overlap from the previous dose....which was a little too high. I probably should have waited longer to shoot this morning, that would have avoided this situation. Thanks for the insight..I'll know better next time! ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.