6/22 Bryce - Your Thoughts re: Lower PMPS Theory?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Debbie and Bryce, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Hi - Would like to get your thoughts on this first, and then post to another board (if appropriate). I know that more data is needed. Please see the attached which I can put in another format if easier to view. Hoping it actual downloads -- have never saved a file here before.

Over a six week period, it shows Bryce's PMPS numbers and her PM "lows" (if under 200). It also highlights when she started on Enalapril, and when we started splitting her dose (due to possible cancer concern from info on FDMB threads). There appears to be no impact to the AMPS numbers which raises other questions.

My question is whether you think there may be a correlation between lower PM pre-shot/lower "lows" and a change such as 1) a new heart medication and/or 2) splitting a high dose between two injections (e.g., 10U = 5U x 2 injection sites)?? Or is this all just a coincidence?

Again, just find this very interesting. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Well, blood sugar is related to stress on the body. The new medication can relieve stress/pain and therefore have a good effect on blood sugar.

Giving the injection in two spots also helps because the insulin is absorbed better/sooner. If you think of the injected insulin like it is a balloon or bubble under the skin -- one big balloon has less surface area than two smaller balloons containing the same volume. the insulin is absorbed at the surface of the "balloon"

It is interesting, but hard to say looking at just "some" of the data.

My hubby has a book -- "How to Lie with Statistics" -- basically you can twist numbers to prove anything you want to by eliminating the data that doesn't fit. (not saying that you have, of course -- I personally apply this to what the government or big business presents to the taxpayers / public)

With Norton, we switched to shooting PZI on a sliding scale TID -- about every other day or so, we would have to skip a shot because he was too low to shoot (nice normal numbers).

Maybe these periodic lows are just an Acro tumor variation. Hard to say -- but your numbers are looking really good -- nice steady improvement in the last couple of months. Hopefully Bryce is feeling pretty good now.

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie,

Very pretty powerpoint! :smile: I did something similar in the beginning and it was very interesting to see the trendline.

People have had a lot of success when splitting the shots into multiple locations. Lorna & Girlcat had GREAT success with that.

Curious about why Bryce is on a diet...acros are dealing with major hormones which causes growth, so they really may need to eat a lot more than a normal kitty. Of course, I haven't seen Bryce, and she may need the diet, but it's something to consider.

I'm not sure why the PM numbers are so much better. My theory is that she's dropping too low each evening and then bouncing during the day. She should earn an automatic decrease any time she hits the 50s (and as your dose goes higher, your minimum number also needs to go higher). However, it's been over 9 months since I've had to deal with dosing, so I'm not the best person.

Sorry I can't help on the meds. So far, Boo's only getting benazepril, salmon oil, and calcitriol (all for kidneys).

4. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Hi Heather -

We were feeding Bryce way too much not long ago (4 cans FF a day). When we started working with Dr. Lisa in March, we got squared away quickly on that one. We've been slowly decreasing her food, but have also changed it so she gets smaller meals multiple times a day (including blanched chicken). We recently had Bryce to a new vet (recommended by our Cardiologist) who confirmed her body score (~6-7), and said that Bryce could/should lose 1-2 lbs. Bryce is currently in the 14.0-14.2 range. We're not going to push this too much, but would love for her to lose at least one pound.

Interesting theory in regard to a "bounce" during the day due to lows in the evening. We did cut back to 9U tonight (from 10U) due to her PMPS (213). Wish I could get +6 numbers every night, but I have to get up at 5am to get to work by 7.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.